Apr 18, 2024, 06:06 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Base Question

Started by wizard master, Feb 11, 2010, 03:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wizard master

Hi

I have a follow up question regarding bases.

In other bases I see that the outerframe is lying flat with the bevel top cut at 45 degrees. nThat would mean (if I am correct) that the total height would be 3" (I am assuming that is the base beam at 1.5" with the bevel also 1.5) - but I could be wrong if any is taking off the bevel when it is cut.  But I am confused as the pictures has the internal support for the base floor on its side which would be 3.5" height but thats not the case in the picture. Am I looking at this incorrectly? Or is it that the internal 2x4 support is cut down? Or is it when cutting the bevel it takes off 1" on the top?

I am not a woodworker so will play with some wood cuts but just trying to make sure that I am doing this correct.

Is anyone on Skype?

My Skype ID is davidduncan_007 / Yahoo: menionpendrake

Thanks everyone for the help!

:)

mordrogyn

Total height of the base can vary from model to model...

However the base height as far as I am aware (and concerned for my build) is 4"
The bevel doesn't take any height off the total it just slopes the outer edge.
I believe (because I have yet to start my base, would have been today if it wasn't pouring down) that using 2x3 inside the outer edge give you just the right drop for your plywood floor panel to drop in and be level with the upper edge of your bevel.
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

wizard master

Feb 11, 2010, 08:30 pm #2 Last Edit: Feb 11, 2010, 08:37 pm by wizard master
Quote from: mordrogyn on Feb 11, 2010, 05:59 pm
Total height of the base can vary from model to model...

However the base height as far as I am aware (and concerned for my build) is 4"
The bevel doesn't take any height off the total it just slopes the outer edge.
I believe (because I have yet to start my base, would have been today if it wasn't pouring down) that using 2x3 inside the outer edge give you just the right drop for your plywood floor panel to drop in and be level with the upper edge of your bevel.

Ok I think I see what you are saying but just to clear the confusion in my mind (wait for joke....) I was planning to use 2x4. If am thinking correctly the 2x4 outer frame is laid flat with the corners cut at 45 degree making it 1.5 inch (actual size). Then another 2x4 is beveled at 45 degree angle but if it doesnt cut down on the size then that would also be 1.5 inch for 3". Then the internal frames are on the side and that would be 3.5 tall making taller than the bevel.... I am totally lost now

:(

Edited post

OR should I place the 2x4 outer frame on its side making it 3.5 tall with the corners at 45 degrees. And then lay the bevel top on its side and cut 45 degrees making that 1.5 inch .... thus if I am correct the outer frame and bevel would be 5" tall.... then the inner frame support would be 3.5" tall leaving a 1.5" gap for the inner base floor?

Scarfwearer

It really depends on your build. Tardises/police boxes are all different. Are you working to a particular plan?

The base on mine is 2.5" tall (because it's a season 18, which has a particularly skinny base), and is solid plywood all the way through. I used multiple layers of plywood because I didn't want it to sound holllow. The downside is that my base is incredibly heavy! If it was any thicker I probably wouldn't have made it completely solid. I clad it with an upright 2x4 around the edge, which I cut down to the correct height, and then bevelled an inch off it with a table saw. There's no right or wrong way to make a base (or any other part for that matter) - it just depends what you're looking for and what tools and parts you have.

Crispin

autobond

I kept my angle to 22.5. the same as the cut for the door panels. Having them all the same seems to give a good uniform look to it.
If you listen closely, and ignore the humans, the planet is quite calm.