Mar 29, 2024, 02:25 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Oblivion's 8th Doctor Costume Build

Started by Oblivion, May 17, 2011, 07:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Oblivion

May 17, 2011, 07:54 am Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:59 am by Oblivion
Well the coats nearing completion. I have to add the buttons and do a bit of tweaking here and there and then its on to the vest, cravat and pin which I'll be making a build log of  ;)

Hampshire UK

lswl

Nice, I love the color of that fabric. Looks very good.  8)

LSWL

Oblivion

May 27, 2011, 10:38 am #2 Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:47 am by Oblivion
Just finished remaking my 8th Doctors Coat after having received a material swatch from the fabric used on the original jacket. I'm really pleased with how the MK2 version has turned out as I was able to match the colour and fabric better ;D I'm going to be casting from the 4 original buttons this weekend so hopefully the whole thing will be completed by early next week ;)

ztrm1.jpgv7bkv7.jpg2zohdmb.jpg
Hampshire UK

Oblivion

May 27, 2011, 04:27 pm #3 Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:53 am by Oblivion
Started casting one of the original coat buttons today  ;)

2yv2sso.jpg2emiu11.jpg33uxyyo.jpg

Gotta leave the mould to cure now for 24 hours, so back tomorrow to see the result  ;) ................
Hampshire UK

greatwazoo42

Oblivion

May 28, 2011, 08:34 am #5 Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 03:51 pm by Oblivion
............ Well the mould came out very well, a real sturdy one with perfect detailing in the negative :)

jfx2yw.jpg

I've just filled it with resin so well see how the final product looks shortly :)

25jyuxe.jpg

After an hour the resin was partial set enough so I could insert the eye loop in the back.

117hdeu.jpg
Hampshire UK

Oblivion

Turned out exceptionally well ;D Just a matter of colouring them the right shade of green now !

260ppwl.jpg
Hampshire UK

Oblivion

May 29, 2011, 01:45 pm #7 Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:55 pm by Oblivion
Ok, I've now produced enough buttons for the front of the coat (with two more curing for the back). Based on the information I've been given I've coloured the buttons by airbrushing them using a combination of Forest Green and Titanium paint. You can't tell the duplicates from the originals now, so it's all worked out rather well :)

1584lxh.jpg
Hampshire UK

rocket

Might pay to cast enough to do the whole coat and stash the originals away in a safe place  ;)
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

Oblivion

Mmmm, I really want the novelty of knowing the coat has an original aspect to it :) No other 8th coat will have some of the 'real' buttons on it, I think that's cool ;D I've worked really hard to get it as close as possible to the real thing and having the real buttons on it is the icing on the cake  ;)
Hampshire UK

rocket

Yeah fair enough, just a suggestion. ;)

It is indeed cool to have some of the originals.  8)
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

Rassilons Rod

Just don't lose any of those buttons when you're wearing it!!
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Oblivion

May 30, 2011, 11:48 am #12 Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 11:49 am by Oblivion
WEAR IT !! :o I wouldn't be seen dead in a coat like that ! It's only for display  ;)
Hampshire UK

lswl

How'd you get the original button?

galacticprobe

May 31, 2011, 06:54 am #14 Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:56 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Oblivion on May 30, 2011, 11:48 am
WEAR IT !! :o I wouldn't be seen dead in a coat like that ! It's only for display  ;)

Only for display? ??? I've worn my First Doctor outfit to formal concerts (Virginia Symphony), and have gotten many compliments on it. :) If I had a coat like yours, I'd wear it to a really formal event. (I'd wear the whole outfit!) :D

During the cooler weather I usually wear my Ninth Doctor outfit just about everywhere (though I do change my jumper). And very recently at semi-formal events I've been wearing my Eleventh Doctor outfit, and gotten many compliments on that one as well. :)

The sad part of all this is not that I'm unleashing my inner geek 8), but that NO ONE recognized <pun> Who I was supposed to be dressed as. :(

Maybe one of these days I'll try wearing my Second Doctor outfit somewhere and see what kind of reactions I get from that. ;)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"