Mar 29, 2024, 06:03 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Window Glass (was: Window Reference)

Started by rasskin, Apr 13, 2012, 06:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rasskin

hi all!

just wanted to say, if any of you are considering a TARDIS build my work has been sent the incorrect size sheeting for the lights in the suspended cieling.

This stuff is perfect for the 'pebbled' window panes.

just let me know :)

menelaus

Raskin, if it's possible to get some of this from you, I'd be very grateful.  I've been looking for what seems (and actually is ) years.

regards

Menelaus

rasskin

Menelaus (and anyone else who's interested), I've now found the sheeting I so carefully put in a 'safe' place (and then couldn't find).

The sheets are 30 x 60 cm, and i currently have two. as they are replaced they are being collected up for me to store, so if anyone wants one please PM me your address and i'll send when i can.

Menelaus; yours will have to be at the end of the month i'm afraid! hope you can wait!?

menelaus

It's a long term project with me, so that's no time at all.  Just glad you can help.

regards

Menelaus

rasskin

just had three more sheets handed me by the maintenance guys :)

they're busted up (hence why they are being thrown out), but large enough that one could cut TARDIS window panes out of! :)

I'm thinking of cutting them to a 'standard' TARDIS size (sure will make postage much easier as they're large sheets at the moment!)

What size do you all think i should cut them to?

warmcanofcoke

May 29, 2012, 06:33 pm #5 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:37 pm by warmcanofcoke
the plans section of the archive might be helpful there
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=77.0

I'm particularly interested in the Tom Yardley Jones Tardis myself.  so 2 out of 6 panels of glass are the pebble glass.

one recessed rectangular panel is 15 inches by 12. so half the height of the rectangle would be 7.5 inches and the width would be 1/3rd of 12 inches.

7.5" x 4" per pebble glass if we go by these TYJ plans : http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2299.0

I'm sure we could figure out the measurements of the other box's windows pretty easily.

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

May 29, 2012, 06:43 pm #6 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:54 pm by warmcanofcoke
for info purposes http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/drwho/newbery.pdf

the Newbery Prop has recessed rectangles of 16" x 12"  so you would cut the panes to 8" x 4"

.... maybe you should cut them to this size to give people the option....

warmcanofcoke

May 29, 2012, 06:50 pm #7 Last Edit: Jun 06, 2016, 06:34 am by kiwidoc
http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/drwho/brachacki.pdf

the Brachaki prop (Hartnell - Tom Baker) has a recessed rectangle of 15.5" x 12"
that would be pebble glass of 7.75" x 4"

.... so if you cut the pebble glass to the Newbery dimensions of 8" x 4" most people will be satisfied

warmcanofcoke

May 29, 2012, 07:02 pm #8 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:25 pm by warmcanofcoke
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=650.0

The Hudolin Movie prop has a recessed rectangular panel of 15.5" x 13.5"

so the pebble glass for this prop would be best served to be cut to 7.75" x 4.5"

but I don't know if there is all that much call for this prop... its good to have the dimensions so that the people who do want it know what to ask for.

for the classic series I'm guessing the 8" x 4" will serve most people.

I guess if we were to be literal and include the Hudolin prop 8" x 4.5" would serve most people's needs.

warmcanofcoke

May 29, 2012, 07:17 pm #9 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:36 pm by warmcanofcoke
in a PM with Bill "The Doctor" Rudolf, Bill gave me his plans for the New Series Tardis (Colin Richmond/Ed Thomas Tardis) and he lists the dimensions for the pebble glass are 7 3/8th" x 4".

so cutting the pebble glass to 8"x4" will still serve most people's needs.

*edit - for all the dimensions i did, I used other people's plans, I just cut the longer dimension of the recessed rectangle in half and the shorter dimension in third - individual builders may still need to trim their glass as needed.

warmcanofcoke

Referencing a set(photocopy) of Met box plans (MK1? MK2?) I purchased on eBay many moons ago - that have a photocopied letter with the date 29th of June 1978 ... These Plans say the dimensions of the recessed rectangle are 15" x 11 3/somethings" looks like 11 and 3/11ths - logic would say "11 3/16ths" but then logic still owes me money.  :P

Still the Newbery dimensions of 8" x 4" would suit the needs of someone building this Met Box.

rasskin

thanks for that info!

I'll start cutting it up soon and will have a few to post to those who want them in the near future.

galacticprobe

May 31, 2012, 03:02 am #12 Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 03:09 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on May 29, 2012, 08:07 pm
Still the Newbery dimensions of 8" x 4" would suit the needs of someone building this Met Box.

Did you mean the Richmond/Thomas dimensions of 8" x 4" rather than the Newbery? (Just trying to clarify because there are several different models, and in one of your posts above you used this dims for the New Series pebbled glass panes.)

I get confused so easily I need all the help I can get to keep my head on straight! Also, would it be a good idea to leave a little leeway on the 4-inch dims, say maybe 4 1/4" to allow for the panes fitting into the frames and having a "lip" for them to hold on with? Since the 8-inch dims allow for this in the New Series box's pebbled panes' height (7 3/8"), the width (4") should allow a little extra also.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"