Apr 19, 2024, 06:13 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

timerotor's Time Rotor!!!

Started by timerotor, Apr 02, 2008, 10:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

timerotor

Apr 07, 2008, 09:19 pm #15 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 08:32 pm by scarfwearer
oh... No its not mine - sorry to excite you :'(, if it were I would work at record speed wouldn't I...? ;D
I'm trying to copy this build.
and ironically the thing I'm not interested in is this type of lights.
:-/
I feel bad now...
I can't even enhance the picture as it was sent to my mobile.
living, learning, loving, refurbing, & preserving!

karsthotep

Apr 07, 2008, 11:59 pm #16 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 08:33 pm by scarfwearer
DOH, oh well I had to ask, Don't feel bad, I didn't think it was, but you never know.  At any rate its a great reference photo.  What type of lights are you going to go with since you aren't looking to replicate that part of it?  Will you go with a solid tube as in the Later baker and early Davidson console? 

Karst

P.S. I don't know if you have seen this photo but it helped me a great deal.

Finaldavisoncolumn.jpg

Karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

timerotor

Apr 08, 2008, 12:50 pm #17 Last Edit: Aug 07, 2015, 09:35 am by timerotor
yeah,  thats a great reference picture! I can see that the rods are missing from the centre of the frosted panels (they slotted in between the two tiny yellow bars - which then had the black strip of elex tape wrapped around it) which is also missing - as it was in its last screen appearance ' the two doctors'.
Anyway, I don't have a clue what lights to use, I am firmly concentrating on the correct design and colours and plastics dimensions etc... of the build at the moment. I will be after the later look (Terminus) I am having a bad few days as I have buggered up the plinth.
I made it too squat
DSC00078-1.jpgDSC00076-1.jpg

as you can see I have used my roundel as a size guide as I was told by a props-man and friend who measured in detail the prop in question - that the top of the plinth is a tad bigger... and Mr Purple thinks that the entire casing is very close to that - so I'm working on a rough middle ground.
The plinth is easily remedied. All I have to do is stick some feet on the bottom ring and clad it with black  board. - and miraculously - its one or two inches taller - which will help the red columns up a bit as theres too much of a gap between the top of them, and the clear case with the present measurements.

Thanks for the picture, I have to also reduce the width my columns to 4 inches now ( I have based their size up til now around CD's and they look too fat to me. (I noticed that you guys think they are too small at 4 inches - but I think with the gap and the frosted perspex - and all the extra bits it will be fine! Look at this pic of a accurate replica build - that has used 4 inch tubing it looks spot on!

we'll see.... its very touch and go isn't it - hit and miss - well...
UP & DOWN in this case :P
timerotor ;D

karsthotep

Apr 08, 2008, 02:11 pm #18 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 08:33 pm by scarfwearer
I agree, I think the 4inch tubing is accurate, When I went with mine I did 4.5" should I redo it I will go with the 4" diameter.  A few questions

1) what is the width and length of the yellow strips?
2) the triangle.  Found a source yet?
3) What did you use for the reflective portion? 
4) How are you going to cut your acrylic strips and most importantly the clear acyrlic triangle top?

I like yours better then mine already

karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Rassilons Rod

Apr 08, 2008, 02:28 pm #19 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 08:34 pm by scarfwearer
Presumably this was essentially the same thing that was in the Pertwee console... there was a clear rod on his that had some randomish squares of translucent plastic...

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

karsthotep

Apr 08, 2008, 04:47 pm #20 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 08:34 pm by scarfwearer
Yes exactly,  now that clear rod was not there much past pertwee, in a few baker episodes its there, but eventually they are gone.  Having either fallen off or been removed since they had the frosted piece.  Either way, they were there, but later not. 

Karsten

purpleblancmange

Apr 08, 2008, 05:50 pm #21 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 08:34 pm by scarfwearer
Looking good so far!  This style seems to be very popular on this board and I can see why.

It's been years since I last saw this picture, 3 or 4 maybe.
CopyofTimeRotor01-1.jpg
Was this one ever finished?

timerotor

Apr 08, 2008, 10:02 pm #22 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 08:35 pm by scarfwearer
well, thanks...
Im not sure about anything.
Ummm....
I think Im going to do the yellow strips the size that the sheet comes in.
I have no pictures yet because the plastic is in London, and Im away at the moment.
But I bought the yellow sheet from London Graphics and it was so close to the yellow, and I couldn't believe my luck that it looked the right length already. 10" inches. Im going to cut them 1" wide. (Im not saying thats right - and am open to suggestions if you know better... but its what I estimate it to be - in scale with everything else.)
I was told by the shop assistant to use a scalpel and metal edge and snap it like you would glass!
I use this technique with all the acrylic sheets, so some are perfect and some are wasted. - BUT THATS LIFE!
I have now done the tubes and they look so much better thinner - they are 54 Cm's in length - that is the standard length of the film lighting gel - and it hasn't changed since it was first produced - so I guess thats what the BBC would've had lying around- (It looks correct to me).
I have no idea about the triangle centre point.
I shall have to research that more - and perhaps ask my mates in the business. If I find a source I will do my best to get some for you too!
You know, I do most of it by eye.
a constant reference to pictures like the one you showed me on here, and of course the programme itself. - which drives me crazy.
As I said I'm scaling everything around the roundel and the 4 inches - that all the FACTs I have, the rest is by sight alone - hence the short plinth mistake.
For the top of the plinth I was going to use a mirror I found in B&Q warehouse - it was the right size, but I though that they would never have used such a heavy thing - and I went with an artists mounting board that is widely available and ironically NOT WIDE ENOUGH! so I have a nasty join.
Don't be silly - YOURS IS fab! but change it if you want, its always good to adjust things - even after you said NO MORE! - thats the fun about it, go on take a roundel off the wall, get your time rotor out and  - you can pretend you're the Doctor!  ;D

G'DAY! Mr Purple.. I believe tha the replica in question is now complete. yes.

karsthotep

Apr 09, 2008, 02:59 pm #23 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 08:35 pm by scarfwearer
Very interesting and a great reference photo you posted. do you have that one larger? Or does anyone?  It is very helpful especially after seeing it next to the original.    The yellow strips are exactly what I did 10" long by 1" in height.  I think in the pertwee console they were thinner, maybe half that.  Interesting with your length of tubes, I went with 18" total for the tubes,  I converted your 54cm's and that is about 21.25 inches,  I had thought of going longer but decided against it,  If that is a more accurate length I see an upgrade in my future when the main console is done.   How long is your rotor base?  I went with 4"inches on mine since most will not be seen but I like the look of the wider one, is it about 6 or 8 inches? 

Karsten

timerotor

Apr 09, 2008, 05:38 pm #24 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 08:35 pm by scarfwearer
Hi, Im glad you too made it 10 inches with the yellow strip! That sits perfectly inline with my dimensions.
yeah thats right, the tubes are  just over 21 inches tall.
the base is actually 6.5 inches tall. I did scale it up as being the height of the tubes divided by three - but I had to add the feet as it looked a little too squat.

DSC00079-1.jpg.

this is how Im approaching the base plinth. its made out of the left over part you would get if you cut a hole for a roundel to slot into a wood panel (hence the odd jigsaw line going through it.) I don't believe in wasting what can be used!

I am sinking the tubes into it - but only slightly, making them 21 inches tall, and they will be hot glued into position to ensure that they are straight
DSC00080-1-1.jpg

I also wanted to drill holes out to make it lighter. I stuck the feet on afterwards giving it only half an inch more in height.
DSC00081-1-1.jpg

I have yet to make the base plate - which I think sticks out two inches (maybe even 2.5).
I dunno....  ??? and instead of just cutting out a whole nother solid circle, I will do an over lapping ring - so it keeps the over all weight down.
DSC00083-1.jpg
ah well. thats all I can think of today. :D
DSC00085-1.jpg It'll look more like it, when the base is black, and the parts come together! (I HOPE) :D
timerotortimerotorcrop-1.jpg

willytron

Apr 10, 2008, 02:37 pm #25 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 08:35 pm by scarfwearer
This is looking fantastic!  I hope to some day build a console, but I've got to finish my police box first.  Don't know if it will ever happen, but I've got a camp house in the woods that I'd like to convert into a console room.

karsthotep

Apr 11, 2008, 03:24 pm #26 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 08:36 pm by scarfwearer
Looking spot on so far,  I am watching with great interest.

karst

karsthotep

Apr 12, 2008, 09:35 pm #27 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 08:36 pm by scarfwearer
Any luck finding the acrylic triangle?  I have been googling like mad but no luck so far.

Karst

Rassilons Rod

Apr 14, 2008, 03:23 am #28 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 08:42 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: lungman on Apr 13, 2008, 10:54 pmThose HORRIBLE HORRIBLE RECTANGLES!!!!

I attached them using the same chemical - Weld-on 3 - which is a water-thin acrylic adhesive.  I rested the rectangle on the rod, and then used a cotton tip to apply the Weld-On 3.  When dry, I did it again.  That's pretty much it!

They are very fragile, and have been known to break off very easily.  Probably why they were disregarded when Tom Baker took over the TARDIS. :)

OK... once again... I think you misunderstand me ;)

lol actually we're in the right area now, but what I'm saying is about how they are positioned... Its hard to see in the screengrabs.  I had to guess big time. :)

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

timerotor

Apr 14, 2008, 08:38 am #29 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 08:42 pm by scarfwearer
Ive done a hell of a lot of research & questioning about this here in London. My friend (who made that accurate replica) is not willing to dish out much info. That said, I can tell you that the actual one was made of three 2'' luminus pink acrylic strips -no longer available... Not the orangy type u get today & wasnt one tube at all. Ive also got my dims a bit wrong, & will revise them again with the new info.  so its back to the drawing board for now. The red tubes are not 2ft tall!! they are 19 inches high by 4 inches wide definately! My 21'' was 3'' OFF!
TM