Apr 19, 2024, 02:02 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

vortex's console

Started by vortexvp, Sep 29, 2008, 09:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

vortexvp

Sep 29, 2008, 09:39 pm Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 04:49 pm by Scarfwearer
Back again... having posted about the (re)build of my police box... I've dug out the panels for the Tardis console and having constructed a new base I've assembled the old panels one last time before they have a refurb....
Picture113.jpg
The three closest panels are actually glass back painted and are designed to be the main panels to face the Camera and are back lit. The other three panels are hardboard surface painted.

Some close ups:
Picture112.jpg

Picture110.jpg

Picture111.jpg

Having been stored for some time and subject to getting damp some of the ink has run on some of the displays so for the forthcoming fan film I've decided to re-design things slightly...

I had thought of going silver with black panels, however having sent a friend these pics he said don't change the black which looks really sleek...

any thoughts out there?

geminitimelord

Dec 27, 2008, 04:54 pm #1 Last Edit: Dec 14, 2009, 11:44 pm by scarfwearer
I agree with Purple on the console room. BRAVO!!  To be honest I like your version of a console much more than the current offerning. (no offense to anyone out there that might have had a part in the current design) If they could take your concept and put it in the existing set it would look like an advanced time space machine.

I find Steve very passable as a Doctor, Can't wait to see the final outcome.

One question, what program are you using for the effects? And is it PC based? I love the glowing eyes and the negative fade.

Scott

exilea

Sep 29, 2008, 10:22 pm #2 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 04:25 pm by scarfwearer
That thing looks like it could do some serious time hacking :)
Ladies and gentlemen and variations thereupon...

DoctorWho8

Sep 30, 2008, 12:28 am #3 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 04:25 pm by scarfwearer
Are those buttons magnetic strips or some sort of colored cardboard?  Looks like a Star Trek inspired piece (dare I say).
Bill Rudloff

Rassilons Rod

Sep 30, 2008, 03:45 am #4 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 04:25 pm by scarfwearer
Or the early ninies 7th Doc DWM comic console :)

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

vortexvp

Sep 30, 2008, 05:59 am #5 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 04:25 pm by scarfwearer
The original console was buit in anout 1990 as the production was early 1991, this was a sort of Star Trek _TNG inspiration as well as anything else that took my fancy. Always wanted the Tardis to be a lot more Hi Tec than it ever has appeared on screen, so the glass panelling was the easiest was to achieve.

The old controls were back painted and enhanced with adhesive stickers and other bits and pieces of printed and borrowed graphs etc.

The new hexagons have been designed in their entirety on computer and each will be printed as one piece and stuck to the under surface for the glass panels and upper surface for the panels made of wood.

I've decided (At the moment) to stick with the black and rather than silver hexagons and going to try for black with a white border. we shall see how that looks.... soon

the_temporal_mechanic

Sep 30, 2008, 04:33 pm #6 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 04:25 pm by scarfwearer
Loving this Vortex!  Of course you know my affinity for Black and all things Star Trek.  Very sleek indeed.  What are your plans for the rotor?

vortexvp

Sep 30, 2008, 09:16 pm #7 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 04:27 pm by scarfwearer
To give you a taster of how the redesign is going:

Picture119.jpg

This is the old panel (sorry the is is a bit dark- but it is supposed to be back lit). Controls on bottom row extreme left and right are stabilisers. In the Centre bottom row is the exterior door control which is conveniently surrounded by exterior atmospheric readouts.

Here is the new door control with atmospheric readouts

Picture115.jpg The hexagon has 7.5 cm sides just to give an idea of scale.

On the old panel middle row the left hand larger hexagon is  space time co-ordinates.... its new form
Picture115-1.jpg hexagon sides are 13cm

On the old panel middle row the right hand larger hexagon is dematerialisation controls... and in its new form

Picture114.jpg

This one is a bit Star Trek having the three slide controls (very transporter), however Pertwee always used a combination of three levers to dematerialise so I feel I can get away with it
;D

As for the central column (time rotor) its a tall acrylic tube a local builders merchant sells some great stuff meant for those tunnel green houses. The column will contain a rather nice futuristic lamp from Ikea which is all clear plastic, white halogen lights and silver rods, and is going to be enhanced with an amount of white festive lights which flash randomly. The inner workings of the column will  not in reality move, however with a bit of post production trickery we are intending to add a movement to it.

Just in case you missed the pictures in the console room thread, the finished console is designed to be added via chromakey to this...
041008_205734.jpg

dalethetimelord

Sep 30, 2008, 10:22 pm #8 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 04:27 pm by scarfwearer
Wow!!!

VERY impressive.  Love what you've done to the toy console room too; but please stop mentioing the S**r T**k words as it's sacrilege and Lord Rassilon will twot you one with a shovel or somethng. ;)

Scarfwearer

Sep 30, 2008, 11:02 pm #9 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 04:27 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: dalethetimelord on Sep 30, 2008, 10:22 pm...Lord Rassilon will twot you one with a shovel or somethng. ;)

Time Scoop, I should think :).

Crispin

the_temporal_mechanic

Oct 01, 2008, 01:21 pm #10 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 04:27 pm by scarfwearer
Sorry bout that... Those two words just roll off the tongue.  :)

Rassilons Rod

Oct 01, 2008, 03:36 pm #11 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 04:28 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: jarenelo on Oct 01, 2008, 01:21 pmSorry bout that... Those two words just roll off the tongue.  :)

DAMN IT, I am Rassilons Rod and I like that show! :P
Public Enema Number One.

vortexvp

Oct 01, 2008, 04:19 pm #12 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 04:28 pm by scarfwearer
Didn't realise that mentioning the American series was akin to fornicating infront of your grandparents ;)

karsthotep

Oct 01, 2008, 04:55 pm #13 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 04:28 pm by scarfwearer
Yikes.....

well nice console at any rate,  got any pictures of it actually backlit?

Karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Rassilons Rod

Oct 01, 2008, 06:25 pm #14 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 04:28 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: vortexvp on Oct 01, 2008, 04:19 pmDidn't realise that mentioning the American series was akin to fornicating with yourself infront of your grandparents ;)

Fixed that for you ;)
Public Enema Number One.