Apr 23, 2024, 05:30 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Celation's Hartnell/Troughton Console Build

Started by celation, Mar 18, 2008, 10:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

celation

Jul 17, 2009, 09:28 am #60 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010, 10:34 pm by scarfwearer
Yes - I don't know which panel to tackle next. I'm currently doing a bit of the central column, and seeing how I get on with that.

Panel-wise, it has to be either the one to the left - with the two large levers, and the two banks of switches and levers; or the one to the right with the radiation and two other meters. I'm veering towards the latter at the moment - just because it's so iconic, and I've managed to get hold of two of the right meters.

My current handle is cut from a piece of wood with styrene backing, and isn't really quite the right shape. Yes - thanks Purple - I'll get back to you with the details of that.

C.

Dematerialiser

Jul 17, 2009, 02:14 pm #61 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010, 10:35 pm by scarfwearer
I love watching this project progress, Celation - it looks very accurate too. Keep the pics coming :-)

cheers
Chris

moomin

Sep 03, 2009, 08:02 pm #62 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010, 10:35 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: rox on Jul 17, 2009, 08:45 amIs there a good picture of the handle anywhere?  It looks very similar to handles we have on some very old electrical boxes dotted around the place...

:oHow about this...........
mem310xsteelcladisolatorswitch.jpg
It's a MEM 310X Steel Clad Isolator Switch.
Saw this on Ebay a while ago....Just the one though! (Bugger!)
Don't know if they still make them in this stye.
Been trying different suppliers to get hold of a few for my own build....shouldn't be too difficult to cut the handle out of the box!

TTFN.
BillC

Rox

Sep 04, 2009, 07:49 am #63 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010, 10:35 pm by scarfwearer
That's the style Bill, however our handles are chrome, so they're definitely out there somewhere.  I'll keep an eye out at the Boot Sales in case I see any.  :)
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

Scarfwearer

Sep 04, 2009, 07:58 am #64 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010, 10:35 pm by scarfwearer
Here's the best side shot I have (magnified 3X, from The Three Doctors, I think)...

big-lever1.jpg

Crispin

celation

Sep 07, 2009, 10:39 am #65 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010, 10:36 pm by scarfwearer
Moomin - that looks incredibly close!

Still finding it difficult to find an exact match to these.

Scarfwearer - there's a good shot in Castrovalva as well - same handles, still on the console!

C.

kiwidoc

Sep 14, 2009, 09:17 am #66 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010, 10:36 pm by scarfwearer
Nice meters!   (This site can lead to the strangest quotes)   :)

celation

Sep 14, 2009, 02:21 pm #67 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010, 10:36 pm by scarfwearer
Cheers kiwidoc! I've just managed to find meter number 3! :) One to go...

Just realised - I've been using your screengrabs as reference. Thanks!

As an aside - has anyone got experience of cutting sheet aluminium? It it easy, and do I need any special equipment?

C.

purpleblancmange

Sep 14, 2009, 04:26 pm #68 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010, 10:37 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: celation on Sep 14, 2009, 08:45 amI will add the following from TR2, though (because Purple may be able to help!):

The main piece I'm missing for this (the radiation meter will be custom built) is a rotary switch for the upper left corner. This seems to be some kind of vintage headlight or indicator switch from a car, but it's tricky finding the right one.

Nice looking layout - as usual.

If you can post up a screen grab or two of the piece that you're trying to identify, I may be able to help you out again or at the very least suggest a way of replicating it.

celation

Sep 14, 2009, 04:55 pm #69 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010, 10:39 pm by Scarfwearer
Thanks Purple.

Yes - a grab. That might help, eh?   ;)

Hope kiwidoc doesn't mind me linking to one of his:

Image13.jpg

There's a better picture in War Games, I'll look it out tonight.

I did wonder if it was a Lucas trafficator switch, but it's a bit different.

Scarfwearer

Sep 14, 2009, 05:26 pm #70 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010, 10:37 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: celation on Sep 14, 2009, 02:21 pmAs an aside - has anyone got experience of cutting sheet aluminium? It it easy, and do I need any special equipment?

There's a good thread about this on Project Dalek Forum: Cutting Sheet Metal, which lists 9 methods.
The only method I've used is tin-snips, which worked reasonably well for dalek belts. I used a smooth-tipped hammer to flatten the edge afterwards, as there was some slight bending.

Crispin

celation

Nov 19, 2009, 11:25 pm #71 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010, 10:37 pm by scarfwearer
Sorry - no updates.

But it has occurred to me while looking round B&Q with my son (and always on the lookout for likely components) that it would have been around this time of year that the original console would have been built. And on the shelves are lots of Christmas decorations.

When making the Time Column, as well as the very modern-looking plastic basket (!), I wonder if they may have used Christmas tree baubles for the "dumbell" feature in the centre. Unlike the curtain rod finials I currently have, they have the advantage of being very light.

I hope markofrani from the tardisboard forum won't mind me reposting his image:

015.jpg

So - I was wondering if people wouldn't mind looking out for a ridged-style Christmas tree bauble about 2.5 to 3" in diameter. Could be resprayed, so doesn't have to be silver. If you find one - let me know where.

Thanks,

C.

Rox

Nov 20, 2009, 10:06 pm #72 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010, 10:38 pm by scarfwearer
On the other board... I did postulate about baubles..

Quote from: rox board=console thread=466 post=18466 time=1228499891Allow me to throw my own spanner in the works: what if they're Christmas baubles?  Not only would they be coloured, they would shine in the same way they do on the console, and you could easily install a small light through (assuming that the bauble is upside down).

As they were building this in November, these items would have been readily available and cheap (comparitively) in the shops.  Buy few packs of glass baubles and they're already done...

Just a thought... 

EDIT:

And what if they were the type of baubles that actually light up, with a bulb already inside?  Looking on eBay at vintage baubles, they certainly had that sort of thing in the sixties.

ANOTHER EDIT:

And using glass paint produces a marbley kind of effect too...

If you look up clear baubles on eBay, you'll see plenty of types.   :)

...but admittedly that was about the lights on the consoles and not in the rotor... :D
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

celation

Nov 21, 2009, 01:31 am #73 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010, 10:38 pm by scarfwearer
Rox: And that was probably at the back of my mind when typing the last post!

Good grief... :)

The phrase going round my mind was indeed:
QuoteAs they were building this in November, these items would have been readily available and cheap (comparitively) in the shops.

::)

C.

Rassilons Rod

I spotted this just now on Youtube. The panels are not accurate to the Brachacki console, but I thought you might
find the rotor interesting :)

How is your build progressing btw?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTEj1k2wzKA&feature=related
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.