Apr 20, 2024, 03:26 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

A Met Box Build

Started by fivefingeredstyre, May 01, 2011, 06:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redfern

The sky looks rather foreboding in those shots.  I almost expect the box to dematerialize and just as it fades from view, a bolt of lightning, or maybe a directed energy discharge strikes the soil where it stood, blasting a smoking crater!

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: redfern on May 06, 2023, 09:49 pmThe sky looks rather foreboding in those shots.  I almost expect the box to dematerialize and just as it fades from view, a bolt of lightning, or maybe a directed energy discharge strikes the soil where it stood, blasting a smoking crater!
Yeah, It was pretty grim out there yesterday. I was checking the box for leaks - Pleased to report none found!

Volpone

Ha!  I don't have to go check my box for leaks.  I have faith and confidence that they'll be there.  :(
Seriously, I've thrown in the towel.  I'll spend a day or two fixing up leaks and it'll be dry for maybe a month or two and then it starts leaking again.  :(
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: Volpone on May 07, 2023, 01:47 pmHa!  I don't have to go check my box for leaks.  I have faith and confidence that they'll be there.  :(
Seriously, I've thrown in the towel.  I'll spend a day or two fixing up leaks and it'll be dry for maybe a month or two and then it starts leaking again.  :(
I feel your pain. I still get moisture inside, but I think its condensation dripping down from the lamp cylinder

fivefingeredstyre

Found these on my camera this morning. They were taken back in February on a misty morning...

IMG_0827b.jpg

IMG_0829b.jpg

IMG_0830b.jpg

IMG_0831b.jpg

IMG_0835b.jpg

I realise that when you are photographing a static object that looks identical on all four sides there only so angles you can use to make it interesting; however I hope you appreciate them...

Volpone

Oooh.  I like the idea of condensation!  I too, get drips under the lamp and can't figure how the water is getting in.  It actually rained like a bugger yesterday and I checked because of this thread and was pleasantly surprised with how dry it was inside.  The base is giving me problems these days, but that's another story for another thread. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: Volpone on May 08, 2023, 01:53 pmOooh.  I like the idea of condensation!  I too, get drips under the lamp and can't figure how the water is getting in.  It actually rained like a bugger yesterday and I checked because of this thread and was pleasantly surprised with how dry it was inside.  The base is giving me problems these days, but that's another story for another thread. 

We have the same problem in our warehouse. We had to install a heater and a fan to blow the air around...

(I appreciate that's probably not a great solution for a TARDIS).
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Andrew Harvey

Lovely pictures Five fingers! You cannot beat a bit of mist! Very atmospheric. My favourite is the last one there. Silvery dew laden grass, and that lovely tree! Magic.

fivefingeredstyre

Been working in the garden this afternoon. The light was starting to go down, but I couldn't resist getting the camera out...

IMG_0860b.jpg

IMG_0862b.jpg

IMG_0847b.jpg

IMG_0850b.jpg

IMG_0856b.jpg

Berenvonbaggins

I have always thought that your box could very easily be the TARDIS on Doctor Who; While very true to a genuine metropolitan box, it has some small idiosyncrasies such as the lamp and the signage that would make it a perfect TARDIS. Amazing work on your box, as well as your amazing photography! Your portraits of the box really make it come to life for me, and stand out among the sea of amazing work on this board.

-Beren
"Do hurry up. A hamster with a blunt penknife would do it quicker."
- 4th Doctor, Androids of Tara

redfern

Fascinating...

I can't recall any previous photos revealing any "landmarks" beyond the Met' box itself, the fence and the utility pole.  I got the impression you placed it within a large "field", possibly a few hundred feet from your abode.  But these latest snaps reveal it's really not that far from what I assume is your back porch and thus the rest of your house.  Just goes to show that staging, composition and strategic angles mean everything!

fivefingeredstyre

It's a funny old thing, isn't it...

Happy 60th everyone!

IMG_8420.jpeg