Apr 23, 2024, 07:00 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

A Met Box Build

Started by fivefingeredstyre, May 01, 2011, 06:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jam Jar Lurker

Sad to see, but good to know it's in safe five fingered hands.

Francïs
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

fivefingeredstyre

Today's progress. Doesn't look like much; however there is about 10 years worth of paint layers and abortive weatherproofing that I've just taken off

IMG_4846a.jpg

Just letting some rot hardner go off over night and then I've got filling to do tomorrow

Volpone

It does have a nice weathered concrete feel right now. 

Your workmanship is magnificent.  This is another build I cannot let my TARDIS see or else she'll be jealous. 

That said, I would have to put a traditional Fresnell back on it.  It is just too jarring to my OCD tendencies to see such a conventional Met box profile with the iconic Hartnell lamp.  :)
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: Volpone on Aug 28, 2021, 04:17 pmThat said, I would have to put a traditional Fresnell back on it.  It is just too jarring to my OCD tendencies to see such a conventional Met box profile with the iconic Hartnell lamp.  :)
yeah, but I do have a soft spot for the Hartnell cylinder Lamp...

fivefingeredstyre

Todays progress.

Hopefully I've got rid of most of the lumpy texture on the roof that has been bugging me for the last 10 years...

Just waiting for some sealant to cure overnight and then i'll slap on some grey undercoat and that will be one side down!

IMG_4862 b.jpg

fivefingeredstyre

Sep 05, 2021, 07:05 pm #230 Last Edit: Sep 05, 2021, 07:08 pm by fivefingeredstyre
OK, this update is not for the faint hearted...

I've been working on the right hand side of the roof this weekend and found some more rot...

IMG_4865b.jpg

IMG_4867b.jpg

IMG_4868b.jpg

IMG_4866b.jpg

IMG_4869b.jpg

Have to admit the rot on right hand side of the sign box caught me off guard a little; however much digging out of mushy wood, rot hardening and filling later its looking like this...

IMG_4871b.jpg

IMG_4875b.jpg

IMG_4873b.jpg

IMG_4874b.jpg

IMG_4879b.jpg

IMG_4870b.jpg

I'm going to leave the woodwork exposed for a few days as for some reason the middle roof tier is a little wet. The forecast is supposed to be sunny, at least until Wednesday so I'll make the most of the good weather and leave it ventilated to dry out...

And just because it looks a little prettier from this side..

IMG_4878b.jpg

Volpone

"You're arm's off!" 
"No it isn't!" 
"Well what's that then?"
"It's just a flesh wound." 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: Volpone on Sep 06, 2021, 04:12 am"You're arm's off!" 
"No it isn't!" 
"Well what's that then?"
"It's just a flesh wound." 
Ha!

At this rate I will be on course to be the first person to have a Police Box made solely from filler...

russellsuthern

LOL!

Your TARDIS will be "Triggers' Broom"...

The more you dig, the more problems you uncover...

This is why I try not to dig too deep!
I fill the obvious cracks. A coat of roof sealer, a coat of gloss & fingers crossed for another year... ;D

I salute your dedication to doing the job properly!!

Looking forward to seeing the finished result.  :)

Regards,

Russell

fivefingeredstyre

Sep 06, 2021, 09:34 pm #234 Last Edit: Sep 06, 2021, 09:42 pm by fivefingeredstyre
Quote from: russellsuthern on Sep 06, 2021, 06:54 amLOL!

Your TARDIS will be "Triggers' Broom"...

The more you dig, the more problems you uncover...
If there's one thing I've learned it's that if you don't go looking for it, it could be too late...  :o

I just want to get the roof finished so I can crack on with the inside. I've promised myself I'm not painting the outside blue until I've finished the interior, as I know that I'm so lazy I'll move on to something else as soon as it's all blue again. That's why the inside is so grotty at the moment I meant to make a start on tidying it up a couple of years back and never started it because it looked fine from the outside!

Hopefully by stripping everything back to bare woo£ I've caught as much of the rot that is possible to see and I won't have to do this again for a few years...

Fingers crossed...

fivefingeredstyre

Sep 27, 2021, 10:12 am #235 Last Edit: Sep 27, 2021, 10:14 am by fivefingeredstyre
OK, not the most thrilling of updates as its mainly made up of pictures of bare wood and an object that looks pretty much the same from all angles; however I've finished chasing rot around (for the time being...) and sealing the outside...

IMG_4885b.jpg

IMG_4887b.jpg

IMG_4886b.jpg

IMG_4891b.jpg

IMG_4892b.jpg

IMG_4893b.jpg

IMG_4894b.jpg

and we now look like this...

IMG_4896b.jpg

Next weekend I will hopefully make a start on cleaning up the inside. (Once I evict all the Spiders  :o)

moonbeam

That does look absolutely beautiful, there is just something magical about the met box design, and a proper shame that out of all the numbers that existed so little remains.

fivefingeredstyre

Aug 07, 2022, 03:06 pm #237 Last Edit: Aug 07, 2022, 04:08 pm by fivefingeredstyre Reason: Trying to sort the pictures out...
OK, its been a while since I updated this thread.

If you recall when I last updated I'd not long lifted the box up in the air and put it on 15mm Acrylic pads to give the underside some ventilation and help the box to dry out.

Basically the plan was to let the box continue to dry out over the winter whilst I build an office in the garden for the Girlfriend to work out of; however Storm Eunice came to call back in February and this happened to the house as her parting shot...

Eunice says Hi!.jpg

As you can imagine, this put me back a bit as I had to organise the repair work...

And then we got COVID...

Once we got over that I had to make a start on her ladyships office. Which took a while, but actually looks lovely.

IMG_6017a.jpg

IMG_6021a.jpg

IMG_6018a.jpg

(I'm not going to take all the credit for that though. The manufacturers built it, I just did the inside...)

I also had to respray the back end one of one of my cars as well, which set me back a few more weeks...

But. All in all its been a busy 10 months, and all the while these distractions were occurring my Police box has been happily drying out even more, which has also been helped by the heatwave we've had this month.

So now its on to the fun part...

This is what the box looked like once I'd stripped the rotten wood from the inside.

IMG_4947a.jpg

I know, right... Total horror show!

The posts that were designed to hold up the roof had completely rotted through at the base level and the roof was effectively only being held up by the outer corner post cladding! I'd also broken out the old floor as well, which was completely rotten through

IMG_4948a.jpg

As an aside - all the while this was going on, this nosy bugger was keeping me company!

IMG_4975a.jpg

Anyway... Over the last couple of weeks I've set about patching the inside up, and it now looks like this.

IMG_6226b.jpg

IMG_6225b.jpg

I've strengthened the rotten post by adding another 3x3 post each side of the original and replaced the cross bar post underneath the sign box. This is secured with massive screws through into the original posts at higher level which I'm hoping will be more than enough to take the weight of the roof...

IMG_6220b.jpg

IMG_6222b.jpg

Once I finished painting the walls I replaced the rotten floor structure (remembering to sit this on more acrylic pads) and set about laying in the floor panels.

Unfortunately I've hit a lull here as I'm waiting for floor ventilation grills to arrive, and i'm not laying the floor in until these have been fitted.

So consequently, this is as far as I've got...

IMG_6228b.jpg

IMG_6229b.jpg

I've still got loads of work to do yet. As the outside has been drying out for the last 10 months or so cracks have appeared everywhere, so I've another round of chasing around the box with filler to do before I start to make it blue again. But that wont happen until I've finished the inside and reinstated all the electrics.

No rest for the wicked...

fivefingeredstyre

Actually, I fibbed...

Amazon arrived with the floor vents and hole cutter, so...

IMG_6231b.jpg

There's some tidying up to do (you can't see it there but there are a lot of screw heads that need filling and some paint that needs touching up) but its feels like progress getting the floor fitted...

And here's how we are currently looking

IMG_6236b.jpg

moonbeam

That's looking so good! I don't know if I've missed it in previous posts but what plans did you use?