Apr 19, 2024, 05:15 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Karsten's Console Build

Started by karsthotep, Jul 16, 2009, 11:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

karsthotep

Hey Gang,

Ok, here are a few pictures to look at and a video.  My work Sunday entailed finished one of the twist handles completely, working on filling imperfections in the 2nd one,  I wired up two panels for the ping pong ball lights.  I put into position the 1st handle which will control the speed interval of the flashing ping pong ball lights.  the rod which controls the light control box I couldn't get finished in time and in the process inadvertently drilled 4 holes in my panel which I now need to fill and paint over (darn it!!)   so the twist handle does nothing right now but It will be hooked up in the next few weeks.  You get the idea though in the video of what it will eventually due so here you go enjoy it in alll its flashy glory. 

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

Video:
th_MVI_0426.jpg

Karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

geminitimelord

KARST,

This is looking great!  I see the circles in the back are you thinking about turning your basement into a Console Room?  Or was that for something else?

As much as I love my TARDIS, I wish I had the space to do a Console Room. Hmmm well I could vacate the Garage and uh Naaaaaa......

kiwidoc

Jul 19, 2010, 11:01 pm #77 Last Edit: Jul 20, 2010, 02:30 am by kiwidoc
Beautiful Karst - I love this console.   I've found one of the plasma discs in my neck of the woods too so insired by you I've squirelled it away for my (one day....) console.

LOVE that central rotor light array.

atomicgraph

that looks great, it must really make an impression to see it in real life.

peterdalek

This is awesome,

This style of console is my personal favourite, I guess this goes with being a Tom fan. I look forward to seeing this develop.

Peter :)

karsthotep

Quote from: geminitimelord on Jul 19, 2010, 04:05 pm
KARST,

This is looking great!  I see the circles in the back are you thinking about turning your basement into a Console Room?  Or was that for something else?

As much as I love my TARDIS, I wish I had the space to do a Console Room. Hmmm well I could vacate the Garage and uh Naaaaaa......

Hey Guys, thatnks for the compliments.  Gemini, I could have sworn that I replied to this post.  Anyway, no those are just holes cut in some hardboard in the background when i was making some switch levers that is just the scrap in the background there. :).  Glen...glad you like the Plasma discs/Telepathic circuits I think it adds a lot to the look.  The Time rotor is all hand cut so it has a lot of flaws that I can see, looks great in pictures though. eventually I am going to have the compents laser cut so its symmentrical. Thanks for all the comments guys. 

Karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

ripintime

Really cool console well done! :)
:)Ripintime:)

type 83

Did you make the slider switches yourself?

rmef2

karsthotep

Thank you guys, Pete appreciate the comments especially seeing your restoration of the Blackpool console.  Talk about reverse engineering its brilliant.  I am still plugging along.  Yes I did do the slide controls myself. I am going to need to redo them however due to them not moving as fluid as I would like.  I also need to redo my mold box for my lever handle.  I did it as a one part mould and have to wrestle it out of the silicon each time and additionally there are so may pinhole bubbles to fill it isn't worth the resin to do it.  So back to the drawing board on that one. always seems 2 steps forward 1 step back. 

Rassilons Rod

One of the things I love about your console is that the design is... For lack of a better word "clean". I hate the 21st century tv consoles for being such a mess and a clutter of any-old-crap.

You have not filled every square mm of your console panels, yet there is no dead space.

What you're building here should be an inspiration to the people working on the show. Superb work Mr Karsten :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

type 83

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Aug 16, 2010, 06:22 am
One of the things I love about your console is that the design is... For lack of a better word "clean". I hate the 21st century tv consoles for being such a mess and a clutter of any-old-crap.

You have not filled every square mm of your console panels, yet there is no dead space.

What you're building here should be an inspiration to the people working on the show. Superb work Mr Karsten :)

:( Most of my console is going to be everyday stuff. But it is going to be mostly limited to brass and wooden items.

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: type 83 on Aug 16, 2010, 09:05 am

:( Most of my console is going to be everyday stuff. But it is going to be mostly limited to brass and wooden items.

hey, no need for the :( mate. I was't making any digs any any builds on this forum - just stating how I feel about the consoles seen on tv of late.

And indeed, there is nothing wrong with everyday items - I was referring to the fact that the design crew on doctor who seem to want to cram something in everywhere. Thats something different entirely.

And finally it is of course entirely a matter of personal taste. So please don't take anything I say on here personally :)
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Not sure why I can't see my previous post... But anyway, I also want to point out that wood and brass are, in my opinion, awesome :)
Public Enema Number One.

karsthotep

Rassilon, thank you for the comments :) brought a tear to me eye <lol>  I do like the clean look.  I am not one for 100% replication but I wanted the console to have the feel of the old series console and harken back to that era.  Update a few components and make it feel solid.  I think I am accomplishing that slowly but surely. Again thanks for the kind words..makes me want to keep pushing forward.

Karst