Mar 29, 2024, 05:38 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Plans for my custom console

Started by type_1012_tardis, Feb 27, 2010, 01:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

type_1012_tardis

Feb 27, 2010, 01:37 am Last Edit: Mar 24, 2010, 12:50 am by Scarfwearer
A SketchUp model of my TARDIS console.  This is just the rough idea, so the final (already mostly done), will not be exact.
You may notice that it also has an area that will function as a desk.
Custom TARDIS console plans.04.png
The ultimate TARDIS of ultimate destiny.  Type 1012.  Now with extra duct tape.

type_1012_tardis

The design was changed awhile ago.
Planning to get some updated photos just as soon as I can find that file on my (malfunctioning) netbook and transfer it to my new macbook pro.

type_1012_tardis

Woah, haven't seen this in awhile.
i was all set to create a new topic, and then remembered i had this one.

So, i've revised the design somewhat for the next time i can work on the console, the most obvious change being the timecolumn.
It will also have an actual computer and monitors, with custom software if possible.  Also planning to add a mac collection to the room, and possibly attach it to the console.
Will post revised design below once i get the skeleton of it to my liking.

type_1012_tardis

Dec 12, 2010, 04:04 am #3 Last Edit: Dec 12, 2010, 04:05 am by type_1012_tardis
since i don't wanna retype it or change above comment to an update:
Quote from: type_1012_tardis on Dec 12, 2010, 03:11 am
So, i've revised the design somewhat for the next time i can work on the console, the most obvious change being the timecolumn.
It will also have an actual computer and monitors, with custom software if possible.  Also planning to add a mac collection to the room, and possibly attach it to the console.

Ok, so here's some updates to the design.  You first two things you'll probably notice are the three 15" lcd panels and the timecolumn.
co-ordinate panel.jpg

Also planned is a little access door underneath the co-ordinate panel, which contains cables to the computer inside (eg. usb, serial, etc) and a few dud ones, because i don't want to have to open the front or dismantle it just to connect a temporary cable.
cable door (underside).jpg

The timecolumn's (intended) movement is to (slowly) bob 1' up and down, and to (slowly) rotate (inspired by the original console).  Before you complain about it having a repeat of the '010 console, take a look at the idea:
timecolumn, down.jpg

and up:
timecolumn, up.jpg

in the middle:
timecolumn, mid.jpg

also, the blue cylinders on the column are going to be custom-built led bars, which can flash on and off and/or turn red with a prompt from the console computer.
In addition, the white bar that forms the center of the column will be PVC pipe, with the intent that cables can run up through it to the ceiling, and then elsewhere (such as the mac table).

end of line

type_1012_tardis

Also, it's worth mentioning that the three monitors each have specific purposes.
The one with the keyboard is the "master control/command panel", which can be used to control the entire tardis via something similar to the command prompt (which i have no idea how to use).  It is always kept under isomorphic control.
To its right is the co-ordinate panel, and to the right of that is the "exterior panel".  Said panel's monitor functions as the scanner, among other things related to the outer dimensions (door lever with big red knob, keypad for chameleon circuit, etc.).  It will also (maybe) contain two telepathic trackballs used to control the weapon systems (which are hardly, if ever, used).
The third monitor is mounted to the communications panel, which is used for video chats, caller id on the phone, etc.  The panel will also hold two (plasma-disk) telepathic pads, and a few toggle switches for things such as the interior intercom system and communications jamming.

end of line

type_1012_tardis

Ok, made a few updates to the sketchup file over the past month:

Changed out main monitor for one built into the console:
master control panel, top view.jpg

also added door knob and demat/parking brake knobs:
door, demat, & brake sliders.jpg
The "demat brake" is the black knob on the right, which basicly just cuts power to the demat circuit, and the "parking brake" is similar to that of a car.  So you know how a car driving deploying it flips and/or rolls?  Same basic principle if thrown in full flight.

Anyways, I did manage to get an old laptop LCD panel from a 1991-ish IBM PS/NOTE for use in the updates to the real console.  Now i just need to figure out how to change the splash screen on linux...  and get to putting linux on the junky vista machine intended for use in the console....

end of line

type_1012_tardis

May 09, 2011, 12:42 am #6 Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:50 am by type_1012_tardis
Well, that plan was scrapped (one of many).

Anyways, not really knowing what to do for controls (besides an apple ][ machine running ProDOS controlling the console through a null modem cable connected to the linux machine, and a powermac G3 if i can get my hands on one), i made up this model of what the console room's probably gonna look like for awhile, once the console gets there.

Note - used the new measurements from the rebuilt "panel base".

TARDIS Greenscreen CR_A 1.2.jpg

end of line

EDIT:
The extra 8 ft x 16 ft area in front does have a purpose.  A greenscreen curtain will be hung to block off the "console area" when not in use, effectively adding a separate greenscreen room in the same 16x20 shed.  Also, the small hallway off to the side is connected to the "console area" by a little door (which will be a real door), with the intent that it "leads to the rest of the TARDIS", and so the actors can then creep back behind the camera and/or otherwise leave the immediate area.

end of line

type_1012_tardis

Well, here's the most recent version of the console room itself, quoted from the T52rD "refurb" build diary.

Quote from: type_1012_tardis on May 17, 2011, 10:57 pm
Hopefully i can get back to this soon, it has literally been sitting in the back room for the past 3 weeks or so....

At least i've been at work on the CG model of the room (since the console will sit in my basement, and eventually have greenscreen sheets around it).  Here's the most recent version:

The Outer Shell (old model that i haven't updated yet):
5.1.2 - Outter Shell.jpg

Inside the Shell (back panel reappears when double locked):
5.1.2 - Doors Open.jpg

Foyer-type space & view of console room:
5.1.2 - Inner Doors Open.jpg

The Console Room:
5.1.2 - Console Room.jpg
You can see the server room/master fault locater panel room to the left, Door to rest of TARDIS and old computer table to right.

Glimpse of Space Beneath:
5.1.2 - See Down Below.jpg

The Room Below:
5.1.2 - Underneath the Console Room.jpg
Down here will be various circuit panels, a vault door, and an auxiliary hatch to the engine room below.

end of line

EDIT:

Forgot pics of the ceiling & the Transmat:
5.1.2 - Cealing & Transmat.jpg

end of line

In addition, there will be a secondary control room at some point, and here are some upgrades to the "server room" area just off the console room:

5.1.9 - Server Room.jpg

end of line

type_1012_tardis

This topic is now dead for awhile, to see updates to the sketchup TARDIS, go here:

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2846.0

This is being killed due to the fact that the new sketchup files are no longer of the console, but of the TARDIS as a whole.

end of line