Apr 13, 2021, 07:14 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Original Police Box Colour

Started by lorisarvendu, Apr 13, 2011, 10:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Jul 03, 2014, 04:49 am #60 Last Edit: Jul 03, 2014, 04:49 am by galacticprobe
Check my post at the top of Page 3. Just curious, but has anyone else heard of that "Peruvian" Blue, or seen what it looks like?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Mark

Aug 05, 2014, 12:40 pm #61 Last Edit: Aug 05, 2014, 12:41 pm by Mark
This is copied from another thread http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4684.0 from July when myself and Matt made a visit.

It was actually very difficult to match the later dark blue/black. In some respects it was one while in others it looked different. In the end both me and Matt decided it was the latter and agreed on one which turned out to be Pantone 7547 c
DSCF4010 smaller.jpg
The actual sample according to the Pantone chart is the one behind the page 88 one.

The earlier light blue (presuming that is actually what it is) was a lot easier to agree upon

This works out as Pantone 653 c.
DSCF4012 smaller.jpg
For reference, these paint samples were matched initially from the spare lamp base that lives under the first aid cubbby in the box. It made sense that this item was likely more reliable as it hadn't been exposed to the elements as much as the box had. We the also matched the paint from a scuff on the interior surface of the wooden door for much the same reasoning before trying to match with exposed "old" paint on other areas of the main concrete parts of the box which seemed to indicate the same conclusion.

The light blue sample in the picture is from the area which would lay between the lamp dome support strut and the lens itself. On this spare lamp base the struts appear to have been cut off rather than removed properly. All four of the lamp strut areas display this light blue suggesting either lazy painters when the dark was applied or the dark blue was scraped off when the struts were removed.

Unfortunately we never got chance to try and match the paint with the Met Police Post that lives at the museum but that will save for another day.