Apr 19, 2024, 05:12 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS' Doors Opened Outwards More Than Once?

Started by galacticprobe, Apr 07, 2011, 11:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Apr 07, 2011, 11:28 pm Last Edit: Apr 07, 2011, 11:34 pm by galacticprobe
Aside from the TARDIS crash scene in "The Eleventh Hour", does anyone know how many times the TARDIS' doors opened outward? (This does not count the Peter Cushing movies.) I'm curious about this now because while poking around Photobucket (pronounced Photo'bouquet' ;)) I found this image from a Troughton episode where the doors also appear to be opening outward:
http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/ep34042/ORIGINAL%20TARDIS%20PROP%20REF%20PICS/?action=view&current=9edd880d.jpg

(Also, does anyone know what Troughton story that was from?)

Does anyone else think that it would be interesting to find 'swinging' hinges that allow doors to open both ways, and adapt a TARDIS build to incorporate them so the doors could "pop" open outwards when the need arose?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DoctorWho8

Abominable Snowmen, I think.  It's actually the back of the prop where the doors open outward.  Occasionally you can see them open, like in the 3 Doctors in the lab set.  Or Spearhead when the TARDIS smokes up.  You can see the effect guy behind there too!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

superrichi1a

Is it worth bringing that promo pic of 9 and Rose up again, with the doors blasting open behind them?
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

galacticprobe

Apr 08, 2011, 05:17 pm #4 Last Edit: Apr 08, 2011, 05:23 pm by galacticprobe
I've never seen that promo pic of Nine and Rose so it's probably worth a post. However...

I know about the back of the prop having doors that open outward, and where this is visible in various episodes. I'd call those "ignored bloopers" since I don't think they were intended to be seen, but because of budget and time constraints the scenes weren't given a retake. (Bill, I didn't notice any FX guy in the photo in the link I posted, or were you referring to one of the episodes you mentioned?)

I was referring to actual scenes in episodes (like "The Eleventh Hour") where the doors open outwards. That "The Ice Warriors" photo looks like a scene from the story rather than a promo shot (correct me if I'm wrong). Or is it intended to show the "back doors" of the TARDIS? (Like, say, in "The Eleventh Hour" the TARDIS crashed 'face down' and The Doctor climbed out through the back, which would mean he wasn't exiting through the console room, but from another part of the TARDIS. The same in "The Ice Warriors"? I'm not sure about "Ice" because I've never seen any episodes from that story, and don't remember how many of those episodes still exist.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

The Ice Warriors pic is absolutely from the narrative. :) Jamie steps on the Doctor's hand while they try to climb out. And the TARDIS slides forward while they're in it. It's no wonder it was in such a mess....

I don't remember hearing before now that the TARDIS landed on it's front in 11th hour... Not that I doubt you, but it's new info to me... Can you clarify where you picked up this info?

Also I don't recall the Nine and Rose pic either.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Kingpin

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Apr 08, 2011, 06:07 pmI don't remember hearing before now that the TARDIS landed on it's front in 11th hour...

It didn't, I think he was just putting forth a hypothesis.

QuoteAlso I don't recall the Nine and Rose pic either.

If I'm not mistaken the TARDIS was digitally manipulated to be open in that way.  The doors weren't physically opened outward for the shot in question.

superrichi1a

Apr 08, 2011, 07:21 pm #7 Last Edit: Jul 03, 2019, 03:11 am by warmcanofcoke
Kingpin is probably right about the pic in question, this is it:

doctor-who5.jpg

One thing I noticed, was that the doors haven't actually been made to look like they should from the interior of the TARDIS, they're just shots of the left hand door photoshopped a bit.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

galacticprobe

Apr 09, 2011, 05:28 am #8 Last Edit: Apr 09, 2011, 05:53 am by galacticprobe
Kingpin is right about me as well; it was just a hypothesis. The scene happened so quickly that I thought maybe the TARDIS had landed on her face and the Doctor had to exit through the back via another passage. However, after poking around a bit I found a photo that shows my hypothesis was wrong:
TheEleventhHour1.jpg

(If you open the image in a new window you can enlarge it if your browser re-sized it here.) But as you can see the phone panel is plainly visible so the TARDIS clearly landed on her back and those are the front doors that are opened outward.

It would appear that she can do this whenever the mood suits her. She apparently felt it was necessary in "Ice Warriors" and "The Eleventh Hour", but not in "Castrovalva" or "Time Flight". (She was off-kilter in "The Romans" as well, but we never saw anyone enter or leave her in that story.) It was obvious in "The Eleventh Hour" that it made it easier for The Doctor to close them as he jumped back in, which obviously wasn't a concern in "Time Flight".

So to my original question: Does anyone know how many more times in actual episodes (televised, not novelized) where this happened?

Dino.

DoctorWho8

On that Series 4 prop being used, they actually modified the doors to open outward.  I think Purple noticed when it was on display that they trimmed the doors a little narrower to make the clearance around the door stopper edging around the door frame.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

gerald lovell

Jul 31, 2011, 11:41 am #10 Last Edit: Jul 31, 2011, 11:52 am by gerald lovell
I was just watching the first episode of "The Ice Warriors" again (still only out on VHS) and in the scene where the Doctor, Victoria and Jamie clamber out of the outward-opening back doors of the TARDIS, you can see a swinging clip about halfway down the door length, which was obviously put there to keep the doors from opening.  A counter-measure to the clover leaf door stops on the front doors!

The hollow tops of the corner posts are also clearly to be seen.

handofomega

I have often considered using hinges that open both ways when making my Police Box.   That way I can open them however I please.   ;D