Apr 16, 2024, 01:17 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

My T.A.R.D.I.S. letterbox build.

Started by paulbatfay, Mar 26, 2011, 07:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

irwin

That is sensational! Just make sure you don't drink too much one night and forget to make that little bend in your driveway when backing out...

willfleming

HUGE Doctor Who,GHI,GH and Torchwood fan

b4dw0lf

That is so cool,

Did you have any issues with the mail man?  I was thinking of building a smaller version to replace my mail box but I wasnt sure how USPS take to these novelty type boxes?
Paul Bradford
Tech Manager, Ghost Hunters International (GHI),
SyFy Channel, USA.
http://www.syfy.com/ghi

http://facebook.com/GHIPaul
http://twitter.com/GHIPaul

ehekkert

How big is the risk of it being vandalised where you live? That's the thing I'm a little worried about when I've got mine finished and placed outside. Not that it's going to stop me.
Quotations   It's not how many years you've lived, Will... but how you've lived them.

Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives... because they will never come again.

We are after all only mortal.

pod

That is all kinds of awesome, but I too would be concerned about vandalism. It looks like you're in Australia too - are you familiar with Frankston? If i installed one of those in my front yard, the next morning it would either be smashed, gone, spraypainted, or there'd be a junkie squatting in it.

paulbatfay

Quote from: b4dw0lf on Nov 26, 2011, 06:22 pm
That is so cool,

Did you have any issues with the mail man?  I was thinking of building a smaller version to replace my mail box but I wasnt sure how USPS take to these novelty type boxes?

So far I haven't had any problems with our mailman.  I made sure the box adheres to the postal regulations (height, slot width x height, etc).  Also, our junk-mail has decreased by about 90%! 

paulbatfay

Quote from: pod on Nov 27, 2011, 04:46 am
That is all kinds of awesome, but I too would be concerned about vandalism. It looks like you're in Australia too - are you familiar with Frankston? If i installed one of those in my front yard, the next morning it would either be smashed, gone, spraypainted, or there'd be a junkie squatting in it.

Yep- familiar with Frankston, my area is pretty similar being in the western suburbs of Sydney.  I'm not sure how long the box will last, Christmas was always the short-term objective, and we are almost there!  It has only had one small item of graffiti, which I just painted over about a month ago, no problems. 

I think why it has survived so far is a mix of the following things:
a) It's on a reasonably busy road, so it's quite public
b) A lot of people don't know what it is, but because it says "Police" on it, they might be reticent to vandalise it
c) It's pretty cool!

paulbatfay

Quote from: ehekkert on Nov 26, 2011, 10:20 pm
How big is the risk of it being vandalised where you live? That's the thing I'm a little worried about when I've got mine finished and placed outside. Not that it's going to stop me.

No major vandalism yet.  In fact, just about every day someone stops to take a photo of it.  A few days ago a lady knocked on the door and asked where we bought it from! LOL.  It really good so far having a TARDIS letterbox, highly recommended!

slidin_sidewayz

Awesome build! Funny thing to me is, the reinforcing you've built into it is more solid than my full sized box! :-D

paulbatfay

It's now almost 6 months since the TARDIS letterbox went in the ground.  The good news is it is still there, intact and functional.  We've had some fan-mail lately so I thought I would share it with the "Whovian" community.letter1.jpgletter2.jpgNigh Tardis.jpgNigh Tardis.jpg

ehekkert

That's the kind of mail that you want to get and it's encouraging to hear that it's still standing strong after 6 months.

How tall is your mailbox. It's a bit hard to guess (I'm not good at guessing sizes/distances) just looking at the pictures.
Quotations   It's not how many years you've lived, Will... but how you've lived them.

Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives... because they will never come again.

ehekkert

paulbatfay

Jun 27, 2023, 01:45 pm #27 Last Edit: Jun 27, 2023, 01:47 pm by paulbatfay
My TARDIS letterbox has been in the ground now for almost 12 years.  It has lasted well, but needed some maintenance lately. It had some water damage, the light was cracked and faded, the signs were badly weathered and the last straw was a door falling off!

Because I used marine ply, I found that if I chiselled the top layer off the horizontal surfaces, it was mostly effective. I used wood putty in areas with bad water damage.

I used slightly bigger screws in the hinges of the door.

For the signs, I still had the original lettering templates from 2011, so I used the same handpainted method, but compomised on using bulkier timber rather than the original marine ply.

Then a few coats of paint (the colour is called Nightflyer) and a replacement light later, it was renovated. Hopefully it lasts another decade.

russellsuthern

That looks lovely. :)

Russell

elkad

I wonder if anyone would recognize the mail box if it were the Master's pillar.

IDEA: Have two mail box's, the doctors & The Master's. The Master's will be for mail, wile the Doctor's will be for parcels.

Quot "One box inside another, I just told you."