Apr 18, 2024, 06:47 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The T55 console Mk2

Started by type55tardis, Mar 24, 2011, 06:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Apr 05, 2011, 05:40 pm #15 Last Edit: Apr 05, 2011, 05:41 pm by galacticprobe
Everything looks great so far. I'm eagerly awaiting the finished console!

I know that clear cylinder is probably a carry-over from your previous console, and I'm curious: what are its dimensions and where did you find it? I've been looking for something similar and having no luck.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

type55tardis

Apr 06, 2011, 08:18 am #16 Last Edit: Apr 06, 2011, 04:26 pm by type55tardis
Hi Dino !!
Long time no speak ,I hope you are well, The plastic column is the original from the other console it cost £60.00 so I wasn't`t going to throw that out !! and its still in perfect condition , its dimensions are 230mm x 1000mm (approx 9 inches by 39 inches)with a perspex disc glued to the top ,in the old console the gubbins went up and down inside the plastic column but I didn't`t want to do that this time so I have built a platform onto the internal lift and the column sits on that.There will be a new internal gubbins for this one which will be built in a Davidson/Hartnell design with a bit of low key lighting up the middle to give it a bit of life ,I decided after looking hard at the original that I hated it LoL all the planes for the panels where wrong and I could do a lot better So it had to go,this time I want something more traditional ,It won`t be as good as celations build but it will make me feel better.I`m currently only working 2 nights a week at the moment so that gives me 5 days a week to work on the console ,I managed to get a big round knob for the door control ,it was black but with the application of some red modeling enamel its now the right colour (or is that color ? LoL) pics to follow,the company that supplied the plastic column and the internal plastics is in the UK ,( its on the links page) but I noticed when I last visited the page he is sorting out international delivery's ,the firm is called clear plastics and the guy who owns it is called Paul ( and is a Dr Who fan) he has had some of his plastics appear in Dr Who (the central column from the lodger) which will appear again in season 6 .
I have harvested all the switches led`s and meters from the old console to use on this one but there are not going to be any christmas lights this time ,the smaller switch boxes will be active but the larger lever switches will basically be only for show although they will move ,Ive ordered numerous led`s to be placed behind light covers that hopefully should resemble the original design,the big key switch I intend to use to switch the main power to the console,and as it is a built panel it will go in as it is. here's a couple of pics of the partly completed door lever
ds1.JPGds2.JPG
and here is the demat lever
demat1.JPGdemat2.JPG

I hope you like them
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

galacticprobe

Apr 06, 2011, 02:35 pm #17 Last Edit: Apr 06, 2011, 02:36 pm by galacticprobe
Those levers are brilliant! I especially like the Demat lever - truly Classic. I'll check out the link to Clear Plastics. That size column just might be what I'm looking for. (Hopefully Paul has sorted out the International shipping.)

Time to start stuffing more money into my "Who" jar!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

rocket

Nothing says Tardis console more than a big red knob  ;)
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

exleo

awww no I liked Turlough!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

galacticprobe

Apr 07, 2011, 04:00 am #20 Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:20 am by galacticprobe
We have just passed the signpost and crossed over into, The Twisted Zone!

Dino.

type55tardis

Apr 07, 2011, 06:46 am #21 Last Edit: Jun 01, 2011, 01:30 pm by Scarfwearer
Quote from: rocket on Apr 07, 2011, 12:22 am
Nothing says Tardis console more than a big red knob  ;)

Do you know you are right Rocket  :) although I really like the demat switch when i look at the pictures the one that really stands out and looks the most Tardisy is the door lever,the lever is now silver so it looks really good.
I can`t wait to get it fitted into the panel .But alas I will have to take it easy as Ive disciplined myself to making one panel at a time and not to rush things as I want this build to be more traditional ,the dematerialisation control panel is going to be first
I`m in the process of making the lamp covers at the moment but I`m having a slight problem with the glue to hold them together ,I have tried Plastic welding adhesive which works great on perspex and polystyrene cement which is for model kits etc.. but neither seem to work as well as they should ,I`m thinking of trying liquid nails painted on or super glue heres a pic of the experimental light covers in their basic state

lc1.JPG

Ping Pong balls  ;D

Your right Dino it does get twisted LoL

Hey and Turlough was an unsavoury chracter who played us all all for chumps
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

type55tardis

Apr 07, 2011, 07:26 am #22 Last Edit: Apr 07, 2011, 08:01 am by type55tardis
Ive harvested the original demat control to use as part of the power control panel , I wasn't`t going to waste this it cost £15.00  ,I wasn't`t happy with the lettering so I reversed the panel and thus it is blank and looks more in keeping with the project,when i disassembled it i found that the green led light cabling had become frayed and was shorting probably the reason that the lights used to dim when it was activated ,to repair it i very carefully drilled out the old led and replaced it with a new one,that has just arrived today,I rewired the loom and tested it and its fine the beauty of it is,that the big red key is removable so i intend to run all the console power through it,so when i switch off I can remove the key and no one can activate the console .
pc1.JPGpc2.JPG

My intention this time is to build each panel separately and I intend to use self adhesive copper tape which can be stuck to the rear of each panel which will then allow me to take power from a common supply, running a positive and negative rail,i can pick up power from any point on the rail by simply soldering to it and as its all 12 or 5 volt it is safe,also this will make things a lot easier,as standardisation of supply to each panel will mean I can remove a faulty panel for repair and connect it up to a power supply on the bench.It also means that instead of a mess of wiring at the back of each panel it will be neat and self contained .

type55tardis

Apr 07, 2011, 12:02 pm #23 Last Edit: Apr 07, 2011, 04:24 pm by type55tardis
Whilst I was waiting for paint to dry I decided to fit the demat switch into the console ,I decided to screw it in from the back,I think that doing that way looks a lot neater
Here's the pics
dmip1.JPGdmip2.JPGdmip3.JPG
and as the paint still hadn't`t dried I fitted this
dsp1.JPGdsp2.JPGdsp3.JPG
A big Red Switch

type_1012_tardis

Apr 07, 2011, 10:17 pm #24 Last Edit: Apr 07, 2011, 10:17 pm by type_1012_tardis
Nice!

How'd you make the demat switch?  I was planning something like that for my console, but can't quite figure out how....

And loving the door lever!  It's the classic touches that complete the piece, something the new series writers appear to have forgotten.

1012 out,
end of line
The ultimate TARDIS of ultimate destiny.  Type 1012.  Now with extra duct tape.

type55tardis

Apr 08, 2011, 04:18 pm #25 Last Edit: Apr 08, 2011, 04:19 pm by type55tardis
Hi 1012
the switch is made from mdf if you have a look at celations console build diary you will see what he has done,I pretty well copied his idea and as they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Here's some pics of the light boxes in production

lb1.JPGlb2.JPGlc1.JPG

a bit of cleaning up and they will be greatcli1.JPG

type55tardis

Apr 09, 2011, 05:40 am #26 Last Edit: Apr 09, 2011, 06:58 am by type55tardis
Ive come up with a really cunning plan  ;D the demat control was just a passive lever,but it is on a brass tube by sticking some of the self adhesive copper tape on the inside of the control casing and scraping off a bit of the paint in just the right place and soldering a couple of wires to it ,I can have it activate the central column motor ,I`ll let you know how i get on,Oh and by the way the secret exhibition console added extra arrived today.

type_1012_tardis

Here's hoping it works!

end of line

type55tardis

I tried the Idea of using the tape to make a switch track and it works perfectly which means I can make any scratch built switch work in the same way,removing the need to fit switches inside the covers and with a bit of ingenuity they could be 1-2-3-4 position switches.

type_1012_tardis

Sounds complicated, though i'm sure you know what you're doing.
Good luck!

end of line