New, New TardisBuilders!

JG's BlueBox40

Started by jaguwa68, Mar 15, 2011, 10:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jaguwa68

Mar 15, 2011, 10:12 pm Last Edit: Mar 21, 2011, 07:57 pm by jaguwa68
RIMG0069.JPGRIMG0073.JPGRIMG0074.JPGRIMG0077.JPG RIMG0086.jpgRIMG0087.jpg

superrichi1a

I can't believe I missed this thread before! I only just caught the build diary today, so...
Abseloutly FANTASTIC! As a builder of a similar hybrid box, I have to say that I am supremely impressed, it's far better than I could ever manage. Do you find that with the Iris colour, it never looks quite right on camera? It's something that has been annoying me, and Flaming Cog has reported similar problems.

LOVE the windows. I'm still diliberating over mine - whether to go for Smith black, and light up white at night, or a very similar setup to this. How did you light the inside of the box so evenly?
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

jaguwa68

Mar 17, 2011, 06:59 am #2 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2011, 07:03 am by jaguwa68
Thanks for the positive feedback. About the Iris colour - yes, weird that. In fact, DoctorWho8 mentioned that in my build thread and asked whether the doors were a different colour. They are fine in reality, and even in my own pics the shade differs. (Or perhaps it's the chameleon circuitry?).
For the lighting, I had a load of thin flourescent downlighters, each about 2ft long, which I'd kept from our old kitchen. I've wired them up in series and have one per sign box and one over each window, so 8 in total. On the plus side, you get a reality brilliant authentic light when you open the door (re: end of Fires of Pompeii). The downside of course is that the TARDIS gets swamped in moths and wildlife at night!

jaguwa68

SWArgusFRT.JPG SWArgusP7.JPG

Chuffed that my build made the front page of today's local paper - above the Royal Wedding! (well, kind of!)

geminitimelord

Welcome to the club!  The TARDIS in the Local Newspaper Club. As far as I know there are only 3 of us, Yourself, me and Chris Kingbees. Such a wonderful photo for an exceptional looking box.

It says you work in Northampton? Do you commute?  When I visited UK back in 1996 I stayed 2 weeks in Northampton, well actually little village in the area New Duston. Nice area.

jaguwa68

Many thanks for the compliment, and for the previous ones on my build page too! Just checked out yours too - very impressive, and I love the glamour shots!
The photographer took loads of pics when he came. It's a shame they picked out the one where I'm not looking directly at the camera, but I guess that's partly my fault. It was taken from quite a distance though.
Newport to Northampton is a bit too far too commute daily, so I stay locally for 4 days. Which is why the TARDIS build has been a bit of a challenge, with only getting round to it a weekends.
Glad to be a member of the club. It's a good feeling, after all that hard graft, but worth it!   BR - John

type55tardis

Brilliant build and i love the windows
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

DoctorWho8

Somebody made it onto BBC America's website too.  You have to scroll down a bit to see it.
http://blogs.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2011/04/05/whos-day-roundup-steven-moffat-highlights-new-season-details/
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

jaguwa68

Fantastic!! Thanks for that!

jaguwa68

Apr 10, 2011, 08:16 pm #9 Last Edit: Apr 10, 2011, 08:19 pm by jaguwa68
1-Argus_010411_reduced.jpg2-Argus_010411_reduced.jpg3-Argus_010411_reduced.jpg4-Argus_010411_reduced.jpg5-Argus_010411_reduced.jpg

DoctorWho8

I see you got the pro-photos.  Really nice.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

warmcanofcoke

NICE build!!! Affirmative on the K9 ;D
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Senseidale

Very nice indeed.
just one thing have you got plans for a K9 build, I can't seem to find any and my son is desperate for me to build him one Ok me also.
Regards Dale
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"