Apr 18, 2024, 03:59 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Valrico Florida TARDIS project.

Started by john_christian_s, Mar 10, 2011, 05:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Avadh

Brilliant work so far and its looking very solid and sturdy and robust. I look forward to seeing more of your progress and good luck with it.

geminitimelord

Mar 17, 2011, 03:47 am #16 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2011, 03:51 am by geminitimelord
Nice post construction. In hind sight I wish I would have gone that route or a variation of it doing mine. I tried to drill holes and have a steel rod but even with the steel rods the posts didnt seem real sturdy. I elected to put bolts from the bottom and use a corner brace. Never thought of using a 2x2 and having it protrude into a hole.

I see the pneumatic brad nailer, a must have for this type of construction, well atleast in my case it was.

Also it is nice to see some actual boxes being built as this board is TARDIS BUILDERS. I think the last few months have been somewhat dry in relation to the actual boxes. Not that some of the sonics and such are not interesting but the main focus of this board is TARDIS BUILDING

metrosonus

They are a large undertaking.. someone can't be building one somewhere all the time.  ;D

I'm glad just to see so many various projects under one roof myself.

the_temporal_mechanic

I like what's going on here. :)  Great progress!

philipw

Quote from: metrosonus on Mar 17, 2011, 01:34 pm
They are a large undertaking.. someone can't be building one somewhere all the time.  ;D

No more true words have ever been spoken. Anybody that finishes one, regardless of how detailed and accurate or just in the spirit of the Doctor, has a huge accomplishment to be proud of. One that can only be completely understood when you have finished one yourself. I know when I started mine, I didn't think it would be any big deal to get it done, but it was more work than I anticipated by quite a wide margin.

action_mat

Quote from: geminitimelord on Mar 17, 2011, 03:47 am
Also it is nice to see some actual boxes being built as this board is TARDIS BUILDERS. I think the last few months have been somewhat dry in relation to the actual boxes. Not that some of the sonics and such are not interesting but the main focus of this board is TARDIS BUILDING

The thing is, it's winter in Europe and very wet :(   Building my sons 6ft TARDIS indoors this winter, was only possible due to its diminutive stature.   If we get a good summer, I hope to post pictures of a completed full size before the weather turns again :)

Great looking build, John. Inspirational.  I look forward to seeing her come together :)

geminitimelord

Quote from: philipw on Mar 18, 2011, 02:30 pm
Quote from: metrosonus on Mar 17, 2011, 01:34 pm

No more true words have ever been spoken. Anybody that finishes one, regardless of how detailed and accurate or just in the spirit of the Doctor, has a huge accomplishment to be proud of. One that can only be completely understood when you have finished one yourself. I know when I started mine, I didn't think it would be any big deal to get it done, but it was more work than I anticipated by quite a wide margin

LOL Philip you couldnt have said that any more accurately. If you go on You Tube and review my original video diary I mention that I am on Vacation and plan to build and complete the TARDIS in a week. HA!  Double HA!  2 years later I completed the job. Now granted I took off some time to ponder construction but still it would be impressive to see anyone build one in less than 2 months minimum.

john_christian_s

Everyones comments and support on this site is wonderful! Not many around me know or understand what I am doing... I actually haven't told many people just because I know the eye-rolling would be too much to take: as they would all think it just another 'crazy John thing'. I, like many have said, thought this would be a somewhat 'quick' task: alas, no. This is a huge undertaking and I think this forum is the only kind of place others will appreciate how awesome it is. So... Thanks to everyone!! I will keep posting as I get more done.