Apr 19, 2024, 09:55 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Console-y tablecloth?

Started by dustyfro, Jul 22, 2009, 08:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyfro

Jul 22, 2009, 08:09 pm Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:46 am by Scarfwearer
So I came into this great octagonal kitchen table.  Since I'm going to have a TARDIS in the living room, why not a console in the dining room? It's not a hexagon, but I figure I can still fake it.  I don't know which version I'll do yet.  My TARDIS is NST style, but trying to make a good looking tablecloth with all that junk is probably not going to work.  Plus, a column in the middle would be easier as a centerpiece if it was short.

Are there any other six sided symbols that would look ok as an eight sided symbol?
x Hannah

dustyfro

Sep 01, 2009, 04:58 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2010, 09:37 am by scarfwearer
At the fabric store, I found two colors of lame http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2963&PRODID=prd33350  they are the blue and green at the bottom.  The "turqoise" is bluer than it looks.  The green is a little brighter than the picture.  They're REALLY shiny.  There's a nice turqoise color of a different fabric that's the same price, not as shiny, but it's significantly darker.  Maybe I'll go back and take pictures because I can't find any online pictures.

Any votes?  Should I go big and flashy or "TARDIS in energy save mode"?  I'm thinking that all these synthetic fabrics won't hold up too well to heat from hot dishes and pans.  Maybe some keypad coasters or post-it note pot holders?
x Hannah

dustyfro

Jul 27, 2009, 06:48 am #2 Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:44 am by scarfwearer
Hmm, maybe this should be moved to the console builds sub-board...there used to be the "workshop" areas and then the "build" areas, and I got confused because I'm not building it yet, just tossing around ideas.  Um, anyway, I don't know if this is going to work out like I wanted.  I thought I'd be able to just put some netting over some greenish fabric, but there's some areas that have the grating, and some that are just gooey.  How am I supposed to duplicate goo?
x Hannah

dalekprime

Jul 28, 2009, 04:47 am #3 Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:44 am by scarfwearer
You could put one of the Gallifrey designs on it, in the center and let the octagon sort of frame the circle

NS: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/concept_2007/730/47.jpg

CS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sealofrassilon.svg

Or try and recreate the coral "arches" of the NS cosole--perhaps at a lesser angle with a central column  and get a greenish table cloth--each place would be well defined for sure--and you have a great idea with netting--avoid goo.  And just do it on an octagon.  Perhaps yours is a newer TARDIS... ;-)

dustyfro

Jul 29, 2009, 05:10 am #4 Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:44 am by scarfwearer
The Seal of Rassilon would be a nice one, you know, just to have on the table instead of "HI I'M A HUGE NERD AND HAVE A CONSOLE TABLE"  It would make a cool batik design (painting with wax, then dying it and scraping off the wax), but I'd have to get the right kind of cloth, otherwise it would turn out disastrous like my last rushed batik venture.  I'd worry about residual wax+hot plates though...  Paint seems like the only option.

As for my New New New New New New New Console:  While thinking about the netting on a craft website, I started eying the netting on a laundry basket that I've got that's falling apart.  I got another which quickly lost its handles due to a ridiculous construction design, but if I can fix that one, the other is ALL MINE to cut apart.  If I had a couple different types of netting, it would make it a little more interesting/cobbled together look.  I've got plans for the edges that involve flaps that will split apart so they hang over the corners nicer, but also covered by the beams that separate each section.  This would be easier to explain if I could scan my sketchbook.

Are there any good reference pics that don't have the Doctor in the way?
x Hannah

Scarfwearer

Jul 29, 2009, 09:50 am #5 Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:44 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: dustyfro on Jul 29, 2009, 05:10 amAre there any good reference pics that don't have the Doctor in the way?

Aarontimelord put up some pics that might be useful on his build thread: Aaron's New Series Console Build.
There's a nice shot of the whole console from the side on this thread: Hi-Res Photo of Console Room

Crispin

dustyfro

Jul 29, 2009, 09:19 pm #6 Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:45 am by scarfwearer
Ah, thanks!  The real console actually does have different kinds of grating :D

Maybe I could build a short column centerpiece by gluing plates together with something clear and round on top and stripes and the round metal thingers around the bottom.  Or maybe I could just make a big crackle-finish serving bowl.  This is turning into more Martha Stewart than Martha Jones.
x Hannah

dalekprime

Jul 30, 2009, 04:23 pm #7 Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:45 am by scarfwearer
You could do a crackle finish bowl (practical for a dining table) but have a tall hurricane candle holder (impractical, but awesome) nested in the center of it---and then make it look like the central column, with some LED lights and a a few plastic rods--that way you can remove the holder and still have a bowl for, you know, that food stuff, but can, when not being used for food, have an awesome console.

dustyfro

Aug 01, 2009, 06:50 am #8 Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:45 am by scarfwearer
That's a good idea (I had to look up what a hurricane candle holder was) Thanks!
x Hannah