1:5 Scale Brachacki TARDIS

Started by Rassilons Rod, Dec 13, 2009, 08:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

meantimebob

Quote from: markofrani on Mar 23, 2015, 01:44 pm
Really? That's interesting. The site mentions the fact that it did appear at Longleat in 1983 and it now belongs to a 'collector' in the USA.
Where was it stated that the model had been stolen?

Matt Irvine himself said it had been stolen that weekend. I heard him say it at a talk he gave and he was extremely cross about it. I guess he'd like to have a word with whoever "owns" it now.

Volpone

OK.  We're into the eSpace trilogy and both "Full Circle" and "State of Decay" have establishing shots of a TARDIS in space with a white phone panel.  Can't find any screencaps, but the one in "Full Circle" looked odd.  It looked like at least one of the corner posts had carriage bolts* running down it, in the manner of the center divider on the actual Barnet Bypass police box(?). 

*Or at least tiny, scale model carriage bolts. ;)
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Volpone

Apr 03, 2015, 05:04 am #47 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2015, 05:18 am by volpone
"Keeper of Traken" has an opening shot of the TARDIS in space with a blue phone panel.  In spite of having a white on dark phone panel on the full-sized prop since 1966-ish, this is the first time in the series (1980-ish) that the miniature hasn't had a white phone panel. [Edit:  Actually, it may have shown up in "Warriors' Gate", but I don't think they showed it from the front.  Anyway, here's a link to it from "Traken"--sadly not from the front either, but they *do* show a blue phone panel in the video:  http://www.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/wp-images/tardis/exterior-1980/114.jpg ]
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

markofrani

Quote from: galacticprobe on Mar 23, 2015, 03:36 pm
There has to have been another model prior to this one if Matt Irvine built this one for "Pyramids of Mars". The first time I can recall seeing the TARDIS spinning through space - as we've come to remember it in the Classic Series - was in the closing "stinger" of Part 6 of "Frontier In Space" (a Pertwee story, and the last appearance of Roger Delgado as the Master before his untimely death).

At the end of Part 6, a weary 3rd Doctor tells Jo that he's activating the Telepathic Circuits and is going to ask the Timelords to send him to the Planet of the Daleks (which was the title of the following story; this also indicates that the Timelords can steer the TARDIS more than the Doctor can). The Doctor then places his hands on those "Telepathic Circuits", and as the closing stinger sound leads into the closing credits we see the TARDIS spinning though space.

So if the model above is from the Tom Baker era, then which model did they use for the Pertwee era?

Dino.

The Pertwee era used the Shawcraft 1:5 scale model for the Frontier In space sequence:
FIScomp.jpg

galacticprobe

Apr 04, 2015, 04:23 am #49 Last Edit: Apr 04, 2015, 04:23 am by galacticprobe
Well, I was sort of right... there was another model prior to the one Matt Irvine built for "Pyramids of Mars". ;)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Volpone

Quote from: markofrani on Apr 03, 2015, 09:35 am
Quote from: galacticprobe on Mar 23, 2015, 03:36 pm
There has to have been another model prior to this one if Matt Irvine built this one for "Pyramids of Mars". The first time I can recall seeing the TARDIS spinning through space - as we've come to remember it in the Classic Series - was in the closing "stinger" of Part 6 of "Frontier In Space" (a Pertwee story, and the last appearance of Roger Delgado as the Master before his untimely death).

So if the model above is from the Tom Baker era, then which model did they use for the Pertwee era?

Dino.

The Pertwee era used the Shawcraft 1:5 scale model for the Frontier In space sequence:
FIScomp.jpg

Interesting.  That's some very nice repainting.  I wouldn't have thought they were the same model, but the pattern of streaks on the phone panel is too similar to be a coincidence.  Now I'm interested in how much of the change is from repainting and how much is due to lighting.  
-The Doctor.