Apr 18, 2024, 07:03 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Idenitfying the switches on the 5 doctors console

Started by the doctor 51, Jan 28, 2011, 08:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

the doctor 51

Jan 28, 2011, 08:53 pm Last Edit: Feb 08, 2011, 12:00 am by Scarfwearer
Does anyone know what the different buttons and switches for this console build are?

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: the doctor 51 on Jan 28, 2011, 08:53 pm
Does anyone know what the different buttons and switches for this console build are?

I think the only control that was every clearly known  on the Five Doctor's console was the red Door Lever.

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

Feb 06, 2011, 03:06 pm #2 Last Edit: Aug 09, 2012, 09:37 pm by Scarfwearer
Quote from: the doctor 51 on Jan 28, 2011, 08:53 pm

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jan 28, 2011, 11:00 pm

I think the only control that was every clearly known  on the Five Doctor's console was the red Door Lever.

-Marc

I think he means if he (the doctor 51) wanted to buy the same type of switches what should he buy.

there is a lot of good information here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=279.0

Jarrod's Five Doctors Console Build

pic13.jpgpic14.jpgpic15.jpgpic17.jpgpic23.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

the doctor 51

Feb 17, 2011, 03:16 pm #3 Last Edit: Feb 17, 2011, 03:18 pm by the doctor 51
YOUR EXACTLY RIGHT

THANKS THAT WAS A GREAT HELP. ANYWAY, FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD NO ONE HAS EVER COMPLETED THE CONSOLE BEFORE.

.DOC.

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: galacticprobe on Sep 01, 2017, 04:47 am
You are a treasure trove of info with these switches, Nate! Since the measurements (and technical drawings of the switches like that above) are posted here as Comments, maybe you would be willing to repost those technical drawings again in this topic (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2563.0)?

That way when Mark posts his next Update and these comments collapse, those technical drawings of the switches will always be visible in the Reference Topic, and not lost in the collapsed comments of a build diary.

Dino.

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Dec 24, 2012, 01:09 am
Nice find.

for comparison here are the dimensions of the APEM - H21CG1 switches
apemSwitches_zps28673287.jpg

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Sep 01, 2017, 03:18 am
As requested:  ;D
T80-R.jpg

APEM - H21CG1 rocker switches
apemSwitches_zps28673287.jpg

Paddle Switches
T80-R.jpg

Mark

warmcanofcoke

10.jpg
Those Bazookoids from the recent series of Red Dwarf look like the big return computer keys on the Kelt Console.
Check out the one in Cat's hands.

galacticprobe

Nov 13, 2017, 06:13 am #7 Last Edit: Nov 13, 2017, 06:29 am by galacticprobe
Here's a cropped, closer look at what Nate is referring to:
IndicatorButtons-Cropped.jpg
You can also see them on the Bazookoid that Rimmer is holding, which give you an idea of how tall the switches are.

These are known as Aircraft Indicator Switches, and in case people have trouble finding any at a reasonable price (I heard of someone on another forum finding a huge lot for next to nothing because someone was clearing out a warehouse - the lucky sod), here are the dims so these can be either scratch-built or modelled for 3-D printing:
Aircraft-IndicatorButtons.jpg
(Yeah, I know it's not the best image, but it was the best I could find. I'm still looking for a better one to post. At least the dims are legible in the image.) As seen in the 'Red Dwarf' image, the housing is black; the center part of the top is supposed to be frosted white since these are indicators as well as buttons.

Keep in mind the "white" part is intended to light up, so should be frosted. And of course they can be painted as well with either opaque of transparent paint to get the plain colored ones. And in case these look familiar from other than the Kelt Console of those Bazookoids, these types of indicator buttons were in abundant use on the Enterprise bridge as seen in the first two 'Trek' pilot episodes, "The Cage", and "Where No Man Has Gone Before". (Some even made their way into the series, but as set decoration in corridors and such, while every major console on the ship got those colorful resin "buttons".) You'll find loads of these in images of the Apollo spacecraft control panels as well, both the rectangular buttons as well as the square versions. The Apollo images confirm the button housings are black, and not just painted black for the aforementioned productions' props' uses.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Mark

Those Red Dwarf blasters do indeed look to have the same buttons. The original series would probably have used the same fx team as Doctor Who as they were both in house BBC productions at the time, and I would put money on these buttons having come from the same source as the Kelt console.

As for the aircraft indicator switches, although close, I don't think these are the ones.

The size of the small edge of the console buttons is 11/16 while the inner small edge is 7/16 which gives a more pronounced difference between the size of the base of the button and the size of the top of the button.

In the examples posted by Nate, there is almost no difference in size between the top and bottom so there is hardly any noticeable taper.

I've a theory that the original console buttons came from old ex BBC audio or video equipment. If you look at some of the pictures which show the letters and words on the console buttons, there are a few phrases which allure to some sort of editing use.

Now if these phrases were added by the fx team, why not put more sci-fi things on them instead?

Also, if these buttons did have the ability to be illuminated, why not do so? When compared to other consoles, the Kelt one didn't have many flashing lights so this would have been a missed opportunity.

warmcanofcoke

These bazokoids were made recently - with-in the last year. The Current team of propbuilders on Red Dwarf have these.

Mark

I didn't know that, I figured they were refurbished originals.

That said, I had a little search and found that Mike Tucker's fx company were involved with making these props (and Starbug related scenes). Wasn't Mike working for the BBC in the 80's?

Oh and Nate, I haven't forgot. I'll get it sent to you soon.