Apr 21, 2021, 11:11 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Five Doctors Console Room Measurements

Started by the doctor who2, Jan 19, 2011, 07:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Apr 04, 2013, 01:32 am
The walls with the four sets of roundels are 2400mm each.

I am assuming they would have kept about the same spacing as they did in Season 15.

According to the plans for that year, the roundels are 550mm and the gaps are 50mm.

We do also know that post-season 14, the roundels were all cast from the same moulds.

Added up (G = gap, R = Roundel) G + R + G + R + G + R + G + R + G = 2450mm.

I would say then that you are about right with that. I am also imagining some overlap to
go behind the pillars so perhaps the extra 50mm would be a good idea for you :)

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

it is possible that the dimensions of the walls extend behind the columns a little ways.
In this image from The Visitation we see that the walls with 4 sets of roundels can be made to cover a larger distance when required.
120Visitation015_zps5322ddbc.jpg
vs
console room - Terror of the Vervoids
146TerrorofthVervoids000_zpsba65e67c.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

Apr 06, 2013, 04:49 pm #17 Last Edit: Apr 06, 2013, 05:45 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Apr 04, 2013, 11:52 am
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Apr 04, 2013, 01:32 am
The walls with the four sets of roundels are 2400mm each.

I am assuming they would have kept about the same spacing as they did in Season 15.

According to the plans for that year, the roundels are 550mm and the gaps are 50mm.

We do also know that post-season 14, the roundels were all cast from the same moulds.

Added up (G = gap, R = Roundel) G + R + G + R + G + R + G + R + G = 2450mm.

I would say then that you are about right with that. I am also imagining some overlap to
go behind the pillars so perhaps the extra 50mm would be a good idea for you :)

Part of my brain looks at numbers and says - "ooo someone has figured it out! Goodie!! I can't wait till I can take a proper look at that after work." - Then I actually take a look and then weird things start to manifest - There has been a long standing understanding that the Roundels are 19.5" wide. 550mm is 21.6535" wide by my calculator - I may have been able to add an inch (possibly) if the dimensions were for the hole cut for the roundel to fit in- but 2" is enough for me to have to reexamine this thing. .....  Time to re-read some threads on roundel discussion, and the plans for the season 15 console room. (I don't think we have any detailed plans for the season 14 console room... I'll double check that as well.)

*edit
Season_15Roundels_zpse4bcd99a.jpg
Well that part checks out http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3486.0

Quote from: petertheta on Feb 24, 2011, 12:33 am
Here's a nice roundel shot:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TcWHiqyb4Ag/TNb8ehPSI0I/AAAAAAAAGMk/tJR3kL_feFM/s1600/16-11-05-Lot+622.jpg

From an old Bonham's auction:
http://fourthdoctorcostume.blogspot.com/2010/11/bonhams-costume-sales-previous-auctions.html

55cm (21½in) diameter

well that is an eye opener.

DoctorWho8

Well, a couple of people have had actually roundels.  Timerotor and Purple being the two I can think of.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Apr 07, 2013, 04:43 am #19 Last Edit: Apr 07, 2013, 04:54 am by galacticprobe
I can't remember where I found this one (possibly somewhere here or the Bonhan's listing from a few years ago). If it was from here please forgive the repeat posting, but after searching 'roundel' and 'measurement' and any combination of other words that go with these two to in fit with this topic, and coming up with pages of roundel posts, including such threads as http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2009.0 and http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1032.0 (and not finding this photo in either of those two or the other half-dozen threads I looked through), I thought this would save time and that someone might recognize it:

Roundel.JPG

I know it's not the greatest photo in the world, but it looks like a fiberglass roundel: painted brown, and some as grey in Season 14; translucent as seen here from Season 15 onward. If you count the top increments of the measure (which is in inches) you'll see that this particular type of roundel is 19.5 inches edge to edge (not counting the flange around its very outer rim). I would have included the mm measurement, but there is too much glare to read the numbers.

I hope this helps a little.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

good reference -  :o

for some reason the one here : http://fourthdoctorcostume.blogspot.com/2010/11/bonhams-costume-sales-previous-auctions.html from the 2010 Bonhams costume sales  is reported to be 55cm (21½in) - so I think they must be measuring from the Selvage (if this were a stamp) that affixes it to the back of the wall - the extra flange that radiates from the edge if the details of the roundel proper.

thank you 19.5" makes a lot of the measurements I was gathering make a whole lot more sense.  

Rassilons Rod

I was wondering the same thing. It makes a huge difference if you include the lip or not, or how much of it :)
Public Enema Number One.

meantimebob

Quote from: galacticprobe on Apr 07, 2013, 04:43 am
I can't remember where I found this one (possibly somewhere here or the Bonhan's listing from a few years ago). If it was from here please forgive the repeat posting, but after searching 'roundel' and 'measurement' and any combination of other words that go with these two to in fit with this topic, and coming up with pages of roundel posts, including such threads as http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2009.0 and http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1032.0 (and not finding this photo in either of those two or the other half-dozen threads I looked through), I thought this would save time and that someone might recognize it:

Roundel.JPG
I hope this helps a little.

Dino.

Oh, that's a photo I took a few years ago. I could measure the roundel again if that'll help with something?

Rassilons Rod

Might be that a closeup of the figure on the RHS might be good to clarify things a bit :)
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

Thank you Meantimebob - I would love to see some closeups on these measurements.

meantimebob

okay, I'll sort that this week. It's not an actual roundel from the set, but it is taken from a mold of one.

galacticprobe

Apr 08, 2013, 04:43 am #26 Last Edit: Apr 08, 2013, 04:44 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: meantimebob on Apr 07, 2013, 07:11 pm
Oh, that's a photo I took a few years ago. I could measure the roundel again if that'll help with something?

Ah-ha! I was hoping someone would recognize it and speak up so the proper credit was given. And even though this might not be a roundel from the show, since it was cast from the same mould, the dimensions of the roundel proper (the part that's actually seen in the walls) would be the same. (That selvage/flange/lip - or in the model-making world "flash" - could vary from an actual show-used roundel depending on how the mould is made.)

And, Nate, I was thinking the same thing you were about that measurement of the roundel in that link; they may have been measuring total width, including that "flange", rather than just the roundel proper.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

I know that the 60's plans had a scale of 1 foot per square and at some other point (70's?) it was 2ft. As for the 80's? Not sure...

Also, I suppose it might be studio dependent (TVC, Riverside, Lime Grove, Ealing...).
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Jul 08, 2013, 05:38 am #28 Last Edit: Jul 08, 2013, 05:38 am by galacticprobe
To hazard a guess, I'd say that each square is 1 foot. When I enlarged my screen - even to the point where it was pixelated - I could still clearly make out the numbers, at least across the bottom of the grid, that read from the left corner towards the right "0, 1, 2, 3," etc. So I'm interpolating that to mean each square is numbered in feet. (I could be wrong, but it is in keeping with some of the studio floor plans we've seen.)

And as I said, it's just a hazard of a guess.

Dino.

d33j r093r5

I'm fairly new to TARDIS construction, but have worked in engineering and materials for nearly 20 years. I'm from Australia and we work in metric generally, but on a lot of occasions we have to work in imperial, for older plans or clients. A lot of the new materials, even though measured in mm, have their footing in imperial, because dies and molds and standards are hard to change 50 years on with standing infrastructure. Many sheet sizes of many different materials as an example. Reading earlier about the size of the walls and wheter it was 2400mm or 2450mm, my guess (guess, mind you - basing this purely on what I've worked with, not on any inside information into TARDIS construction) is that the walls might be 2440mm wide. The reason is that many materials from Stainless Steel to Fibre Cement and PLENTY in between have a standard sheet sizing of 2440 x 1220mm (sometimes simplifed to 2400 x 1200mm, but NOT what they're actually sized at). This size is EXACTLY an 8' x 4' in Imperial measurement. As anything back in the day in England (and still today I believe) was measured in imperial, this would be a safe bet for me. It would also make sense to use a standard sheet size and work around that, than to try and cut materials to make things to size; it's a lot of extra work, and if you can work with the material size rather than have to chop up every single piece, then that's what you do, in my experience. Anyway, it was just a thought. Hope that's of benefit to someone...
Oh, my TARDIS build is purely in parametric design software: I'm building it in Solidworks currently. I have a 3D printer, and wanted an 80's Console / Console Room to go with my 5" collection of Doctor Who figures. I have already modelled and successfully printed the console, excluding the buttons, knobs, levers and Time Rotor, but am working on them. Am now currently working on the wall panels, doors, columns and scanner screen.
ERROR READING DRIVE C: (A)BORT, (R)ETRY, (F)AIL (I)GNORE?