Apr 19, 2024, 03:01 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Season 20 console: components research

Started by warmcanofcoke, Jan 08, 2011, 11:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lespaceplie

Speaking of purple, PurpleBlancmange replied on his blog about this item suggesting it might have something to do with electrical inspection boxes or junctions. The search is on!

Quote from: timerotor on Jan 13, 2011, 12:48 am
It is purple.
JNT told me that they had simply stuffed Easter egg foil in those 'headers' which happened to be Purple. They are covered with a thin perspex window, yes... they really did stuff as simply as that.

warmcanofcoke

Jan 13, 2011, 09:30 pm #46 Last Edit: Jan 13, 2011, 09:35 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: lespaceplie on Jan 12, 2011, 04:35 pm
I'm almost certain the origin of this part was identified some time ago on the old forum, but I can't remember what it is. Any ideas?

I really like this thread.

greenbit.jpg

I hope so cause I'd love to know what this thing is.

I was thinking it was some kind of pump, possibly medical.

I'm glad people are discussing these parts I hope we can figure them out so I can go on eBay or where ever and buy them
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

james791

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jan 13, 2011, 04:53 pm
Well, without that dome it sure looks like the same component. It probably is, too. Think about it: that console Troughton used in "The Two Doctors" had been in storage since 1983, after "The King's Demons." It wasn't until 1985 that "The Two Doctors" aired, so when they pulled that old console out of storage for the Troughton scenes, they probably had to put some of the panel pieces back together, and like all the other times a console came out of storage, pieces ended up on different panels, and some parts that were made up of two pieces, like the one in question with its dome over it, ended up missing part of it.

So I would say considering the time that passed and having the old console put back together, that this strange orange-ish component is the same one as was on the other panel, but without the dome.

Dino.

Dug out my Two Doctors DVD and grabbed a few piccies-on the panel that the orangey thing is normally on (but with a dome) it seems to have been removed, so its a fair bet that it was shifted over to the other panel.

Also what else is interestinf is the rematerialisation lever Pat Troughton uses-is it me or is it actually one of the ones off the other panel (the one where theres normally two, plus the hooded scope-usually opposite the scanner) The camera angles kind of obscure a clear view of whether both levers are there, but if you look closely you can see distinct similarities.

Personally my theory is that the director wanted all the action to go on the panels nearest to the camera, but then realised there's actually not a lot on them in terms of switches you can throw etc! And had some controls moved over. This of course begs the question why not simply rotate the console...I dunno.Twodocs1.pngTwodocs3.pngTwodocs4.png

Elvis Gump

I wonder if the more pertinent question is why did the console change so very much over the years until the 5 Doctors console replaced it? It's not like in the modern series where they go crazy with pyrotechnics on it throwing off sparks every episode. Nothing much I recall ever happened to the "controls" that looked like they would be particularly destructive to the prop itself, other than perhaps when it was stored between series.

I wonder how often it was erected and struck for space looking at it. For example, in more modern series sets seem to be standing for entire seasons in America at least, if not for entire runs of the shows. On Doctor Who though with the way it was filmed, I wonder if between shooting blocks or whatever they call them, did the Console Room set get struck and stored so other productions could use the studios until filming commenced on the next stories?

I tend to think maybe that was the case looking at studio set drawings seen on DVDs I have, which makes me think everything about the TARDIS props took their real beating being struck, stored and resetup. Very seldom did any of the business the actors were doing seem to necessitate whoever played the Doctor to do more than flutter around pulling leavers, pushing buttons and twirling knobs in no established order. I never realized it was changed so many times until I started viewing these threads.

DoctorWho8

The console and room were alway disassembled when not being used to film in studio.  That is because other productions used the studio when Doctor Who wasn't doing studio filming.  That's why the console "evolved" sometimes because controls broke, went missing, or got moved to allow something else to be added. When JN-T took over, he inherited the console, but hand a new console room made since th old walls were looking bad (see Horns of Nimon).  Come Season 20 and he had that console upgraded.  When they had an extra budget for The Five Doctors, JN-T used that to construct and all new console room and a console which was much more standardized than previous models.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

warmcanofcoke

Jan 18, 2011, 03:40 am #50 Last Edit: Jan 18, 2011, 03:44 am by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: Elvis Gump on Jan 18, 2011, 12:57 am
I wonder if between shooting blocks or whatever they call them, did the Console Room set get struck and stored so other productions could use the studios until filming commenced on the next stories?

I think so - this might help you figure out when the set was struck - From this thread http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2489.0
Consolelayout5.jpg

warmcanofcoke

Jan 18, 2011, 03:49 am #51 Last Edit: Jan 18, 2011, 12:48 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: Teletran on Jan 10, 2011, 11:01 am
Look it's the second doctor's wave detector!
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2419.0
That must be an earthshock communicator.

Just found this unit (and a three position toggle switch) at a Automobile Parts store called PepBoys
http://www.pepboys.com/
DSC05058.jpg
DSC05062.jpg
DSC05057.jpg

warmcanofcoke

Jan 18, 2011, 01:29 pm #52 Last Edit: Jan 18, 2011, 02:32 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: timerotor on Jan 08, 2011, 11:47 pm
Hi, um,,, guilty as charged :P
Nice pictures, of my favourite period of the show!
Longleat1983consoleroomset.jpg
Longleat1983consoleroomset1-1.jpg
Mark

Mark,
Can you scan this picture again? Make it larger? I'd love to see a closer view of the green scanner screen to the left of the red knob control. you never get to see that unit.

Still envious you got to see it in person.

Nathan.
tardisconsole83.jpg

Elvis Gump

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jan 18, 2011, 03:40 am
Quote from: Elvis Gump on Jan 18, 2011, 12:57 am
I wonder if between shooting blocks or whatever they call them, did the Console Room set get struck and stored so other productions could use the studios until filming commenced on the next stories?

I think so - this might help you figure out when the set was struck - From this thread http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2489.0
Consolelayout5.jpg

I guess there's also the gap of the season where the wooden console room existed, makes me wonder if they originally ever intended to bring it back at all had that set panels not warped? I guess somewhere there's a story about it here in the board I have no idea how to search for.

galacticprobe

Jan 19, 2011, 03:05 am #54 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2011, 03:06 am by galacticprobe
It's also good to note that between "Pyramids" and "Enemy" the console underwent a complete redesign. New components were placed on panels, a new panel (or two?) replaced older ones, the edge covers between the panels were eliminated, and the console changed color from wasabi, to silvers and whites or very pale greys.

So the panels and their order for "Evil" and "Pyramids" may be in their own category since it was essentially a different console.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Jan 20, 2011, 06:04 pm #55 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2011, 06:07 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: meantimebob on Jan 09, 2011, 02:50 am
Those stickers/decals are actually graphic tape which you used to be able to buy on very thin rolls, like sellotape. Maybe they still make it.

Quote from: meantimebob on Jan 09, 2011, 02:53 am
....and yes they do. Here's an example:

http://www.suppliesnet.com/1_8x-324-black-opaque-pattern-tape.aspx

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jan 09, 2011, 04:17 am
$4.38 per roll sounds fine
but
$11.37 Shipping? from Louisiana to New York?
kind of crazy

Edit* - on the other hand, hand-detailing the console might be problematic.

Dude this is a fantastic piece of information. Thank You =D

124ArcofInfinity0011.jpgBG12536.jpg

Very Very Close =D

DSC05063.jpg
DSC05064.jpg

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: Elvis Gump on Jan 19, 2011, 12:31 am
I guess there's also the gap of the season where the wooden console room existed, makes me wonder if they originally ever intended to bring it back at all had that set panels not warped? I guess somewhere there's a story about it here in the board I have no idea how to search for.

Well, I've heard it said - they had no intention of bringing back the Console from Pyramids of Mars, and developed the Axillary control room as the new set. But as you said the Set didn't survive storage.

was looking here http://www.doctorwholocations.net/stories/classic they have a listing of all episode and the studios they filmed in for those stories of Doctor Who - it seams the set was struck quite often at Television center. I'm amusing they probably only moved the set out of television center for The Invasion of Time.

Elvis Gump

Jan 21, 2011, 04:33 am #57 Last Edit: Jan 21, 2011, 04:39 am by Elvis Gump
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jan 09, 2011, 04:17 am
Quote from: meantimebob on Jan 09, 2011, 02:53 am
....and yes they do. Here's an example:

http://www.suppliesnet.com/1_8x-324-black-opaque-pattern-tape.aspx

$4.38 per roll sounds fine
but
$11.37 Shipping? from Louisiana to New York?
kind of crazy

Edit* - on the other hand, hand-detailing the console might be problematic.

Dude this is a fantastic piece of information. Thank You =D

124ArcofInfinity0011.jpgBG12536.jpg

It looks like there's not a lot of this sort of Chartpak tape left. It's not clear to me that they even make it anymore as it was something that used to be used for making camera ready paste-up art like charts and lines on that sort of thing before computer design. Anyone needing it should probably snap it up ASAP.

I found these two links searching Google for "Chartpak Pattern Tape"
http://www.dataprint.com/store/c-18-line-pattern-tape.aspx
http://www.suppliesnet.com/graphic-tapes-pattern-tape.aspx

Since I used to use this stuff, I'll also caution you the adhesive on it is rather less sticky than say Scotch brand tape, so one you get it down and are happy with it, you are probably going to want to varnish or seal down with whatever your favorite clear, non yellowing finish is because if over time it will start curling up and want to come off.

BTW, I'd call around in your locality first to any sort of stores that carry products for graphic artist or drafting supplies first because if they still have this stuff, they are going to have probably more patterns that might be moldering unsold for years that may more closely match the TARDIS prop than what I'm seeing searching for it.

Teletran

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jan 21, 2011, 03:07 am
Quote from: Elvis Gump on Jan 19, 2011, 12:31 am

Well, I've heard it said - they had no intention of bringing back the Console from Pyramids of Mars, and developed the Axillary control room as the new set. But as you said the Set didn't survive storage.

was looking here http://www.doctorwholocations.net/stories/classic they have a listing of all episode and the studios they filmed in for those stories of Doctor Who - it seams the set was struck quite often at Television center. I'm amusing they probably only moved the set out of television centre for The Invasion of Time.

I did a tour of television centre recently and asked about this, they still demount all sets at the end of every production with occasional exceptions for things like game shows that shoot every day.

Standing sets which are left up for the entire run of a TV series are a relatively new thing and from what I understand they tend to be put up in smaller rented studios which are only used by one production. Stargate was famous for accumulating sets to and had eventually taken over the studio space previously used by Dead Like Me, Dark Angel and Blade the point that the bridge studios almost ran out of space. It was to get around this sort of problem that the wood panelled console room was created, the producer wanted something smaller that could be left standing without getting in the way of any alien planets they needed to build. The next season introduced a new producer who wanted to go back to the classic look so the designer created a sort of goldilocks set which featured adjustable walls.  
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

warmcanofcoke

Jan 26, 2011, 10:59 am #59 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2011, 11:01 am by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: lespaceplie on Jan 12, 2011, 04:51 pm
It occurred to me that this part could be some sort of turn signal lamp enclosure like you might find on a trailer or caravan. It could even be a brake light from a scooter. That would explain the lens array textured red plastic (that looks purple in some scenes).

consolebit.jpg

just in case my original theory about the black light box viewer was right here is an image I found.

n606818721_215109_1926.jpg