News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Season 20 console: components research

Started by warmcanofcoke, Jan 08, 2011, 11:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Jan 09, 2011, 06:51 pm #15 Last Edit: Jan 09, 2011, 06:59 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: lespaceplie on Jan 09, 2011, 04:10 pm
Speaking of this particular configuration of the console, does anyone have any idea what this could be? I suppose these could've been specially molded, but it seems likely that they're a ready-made something or other - especially when so many other components are odds and ends. I always liked these better than the plain rectangles they replaced. In some scenes it appears as though these are filled with an array of red LEDs, but it could simply be backlit textured plastic.

consolebit.jpg

I see those quite regularly but never thought to ask where they got them. My father goes to Rock and Gem shows, and there are switchable Longwave/Shortwave Black light boxes for florescent minerals, and the boxes usually have those Viewer ports. I don't know what they are called and I don't know what supply store I need to go to. But Now that I'm interested in making this console I'll be sure to ask next time we see them at a show.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

lespaceplie

The gold item is most definitely a biscuit tray. I haven't found the exact one, but here's one that's pretty close (measuring 177 x 130 x 20mm).

There is a cake baker supply store nearby where I have seen lots of this sort of thing. I'll have to check there. It's fairly likely that I will find it because the same designs have been made for decades.

plastic-tray-001-540.jpg

lespaceplie

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jan 09, 2011, 06:51 pm
I see those quite regularly but never thought to ask where they got them. My father goes to Rock and Gem shows, and there are switchable Longwave/Shortwave Black light boxes for florescent minerals, and the boxes usually have those Viewer ports.

I think you might be onto something there. So far Google hasn't revealed anything just right. I'm mostly finding the style below.

cviewbox.jpg

Rox

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Jan 08, 2011, 11:24 pm
Those are stunningly clear captures! Are these from Blue-ray or DVD?
It also sheds some light (or resolution) on whether the extra stripes on the lever boxes are slots or decals. I still can't tell, though

I go for decals, because if you look at the shadows that fall across them, they stay straight.  If those lines were indents, the shadow woudl deviate a little.  :)
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

Elvis Gump

Back in the 1980's here in America at least there used to be a company called Chartpack that made all sorts rub-off transfer sheets of various fonts and lines like that to be use in past-up style artwork. I would bet they might be something like that.

Elvis Gump

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jan 09, 2011, 04:57 pm
E-mail Steve Roberts & 2entertain to see if they can do more prop-centric documentaries for future DVDs.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Do you have email addresses for these people? It might have more impact if we as a group coordinated a list of props and any research who had about what was made by names known of production persons from the Classic Who era. I know nothing, but a pool of info that others here have might point 2entertain in the right directions other than just a general email vaguely requesting the docs.

warmcanofcoke

Jan 10, 2011, 02:21 am #21 Last Edit: Jan 10, 2011, 03:17 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: lespaceplie on Jan 09, 2011, 09:21 pm
I think you might be onto something there. So far Google hasn't revealed anything just right. I'm mostly finding the style below.

cviewbox.jpg

yeah we'll probably need to find a supply company name or manufacturer  .... Good image! Most of the boxes I see are mostly wood with a black curtain in the front and a viewer on the top. I get the impression that people build them and buy the viewer part from a catalog.

* Edit - Just asked my dad, he thinks this might be an upside down mail sorting slot or something .....

warmcanofcoke

Teletran

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jan 08, 2011, 11:11 pm

124ArcofInfinity0002.jpg

Note that the dashed line detailing on the leverboxes is also used on the biscuit trays and I suspect that the tape used as the solid line detailing is the same on the leverboxes as around the switches and the biscuit trays.
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

warmcanofcoke

Jan 10, 2011, 10:31 am #24 Last Edit: Jan 11, 2011, 02:54 pm by warmcanofcoke
hey just noticed the Fresnel or concentric circle pattern on the green Magnetic energy source detector.
122Earthshock0006greenbox4.jpg
That could be a saucer or plate or a Fresnel lens  
maybe I could print a set of concentric circles on to a transparency and overlay it on a sheet of green filter.

Concentric circles here:
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/warmcanofcoke/concentric3.jpg

Teletran

Look it's the second doctor's wave detector!
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2419.0
That must be an earthshock communicator.

warmcanofcoke

True the Communicators from Earthshock do look like the 2nd Doctor's Wave Detector from Web of Fear.

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: Elvis Gump on Jan 09, 2011, 04:31 pm
I wish there were more interviews and documentation of how these various props being built with the people that made them, many of whom I assume are probably getting on up there in years. I wonder how much was design and how much was desperate scrounging for bits and bobbles to glue on.

Maybe you could organize an interview for Tardis Builders. We could make a list of questions a month in advance and then get a designer from the show to log on and disclose his secrets. =D That would be awesome

Teletran

Jan 10, 2011, 12:02 pm #28 Last Edit: Jan 10, 2011, 12:04 pm by Teletran
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jan 10, 2011, 11:07 am
True the Communicators from Earthshock do look like the 2nd Doctor's Wave Detector from Web of Fear.

They're made from the same thing, an analog multimeter, these ones have been heavily modified so they were probably old ones the BBC electrical departmen were getting rid of.

Elvis Gump

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jan 10, 2011, 10:31 am
hey just noticed the Fresnel or concentric circle pattern on the green Magnetic energy source detector.
122Earthshock0006greenbox4.jpg
That could be a saucer or plate or a Fresnel lens  
maybe I could print a set of concentric circles on to a transparency and overlay it on a sheet of green filter.

Actually that fresnel looks about the right size for what are called baby or pepper spots. I actually had a bunch of them about 20 years ago, but sold or swapped them, can't remember which now. I think mine were made by McAllister or Mole Richardson which are American manufacturers, in England there might be something made by companies that are similar. They are like little mini-kleg lights with a tungsten lamp inside and were great for accent studio lighting. So I know little fresnel spots were made that small. This is close to what mine were like and if one shops around you might be able to buy a fresnel lens that gets close to this.

http://www.mole.com/rentals/catalog_sheets/2831.pdf