New, New TardisBuilders!

Season 20 console: components research

Started by warmcanofcoke, Jan 08, 2011, 11:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

May 25, 2012, 07:31 pm #120 Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:43 pm by warmcanofcoke
this may help
IMG_1315A.jpg
the dimension appear to be from tallest point to lowest point and the widest point to the other widest point
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

Jun 04, 2012, 09:22 pm #122 Last Edit: Oct 24, 2015, 02:30 pm by warmcanofcoke
so i sent an email to Mat Irvine....
Dear Mr. Mat Irvine,
     I am a member of tardisbuilders.com and I am new to prop building. I have always enjoyed the design work on the classic Doctor Who series, and your contributions to the dvds. I have your book Doctor Who Special Effects, I have ordered you book BBC VFX: The Story of the BBC Visual Effects Department and look forward to reading it. I have started a build diary for making a reproduction of the Tardis console used back in 1983. (here is the link to my build diary http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3472.0 . ) At this point it is just a collection of bits and pieces.
     I was hoping you might be able to identify 3 separate items on the console for me. I know it was a long time ago, but I also know you might have the answers. I have attached images of the items I'm trying to identify as reference.

1. There is a gold square object that appears multiple times on the console. (Picture 1 and 2) I almost think it looks like the original object might have been food packaging from a tray of biscuits cookies or something. It is possible that is is a vacuum formed object that was created especially for the show.
Picture1goldthingArcofInfinity.jpg
Picture2goldthingArcofInfinity.jpg

2. There are 5 identical objects on the console that look sort of like an upturned car third break light, or a viewer. (Picture 3 and 4)
Picture3MawdrynUndead.jpg
Picture4Terminus.jpg

3. There is a green thing on the console that I have absolutely no idea how to describe. It might be a pump of some kind. (Picture 5)
Picture5greenthingLogopolis.jpg

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Nathan King

and so he was kind enough to respond and actualy was able to identify one of the above Tardis Console Parts.
Hi Nathan

Apologies for the delay in replying, but I've been away, and although I
can receive and deal with emails remotely, because of the attached
images, yours was too large to open, so it had to wait until my return.

But, are re your request, unfortunately I can't really help - bar one -
as frankly your guess is as good as mine.

1) Yes it does look like some vac-form packaging, and there is no reason
to think it is was anything else? (Though from where??)

2) These are obviously some ready-made mouldings, though your guess at
central brake light is likely off as this console was way before when a
third brake light was required. I suspect they came in one of the many
batches of parts we used to buy from Proops. It - Proops - used to buy
cast off mouldings in plastic, (it is where the hair-drier casings for
my Blake's 7 'Alien Scoutship' came from), with the advantage that the
parts would be in multiples, so if you needed several to match (as in
this case) there they were. But what they were, possibly some vacuum
cleaner parts, dunno???

3) However the good news is I can tell you exactly what this is! This is
built from EMA parts that are actually 'cable trays'. The 'squared off'
tubular part is made what looks like ref # EVS(TG)1690 parts, while it
sits on two Tee Connectors - # ETS(TG)24. (The 'TG' is the colour, here
transparent green' - which it obviously is - the last digits are the
size, which may not be correct - there are two options - 16 and 24.
Ditto the '1690' may not be correct as there is also 2490)
These EMA parts are some of the special items that really only
professional modeller would use. They are not in the Plastruct catalogue
and will only be available by special order, or from EMA direct in
Shepperton.
Incidentally the central grey tube and the small green hemisphere are
also EMA.

Good luck!

Cheers

mat

Mat Irvine

mat@smallspace.demon.co.uk
www.smallspace.demon.co.uk

...let's be careful out there...

so that's cool.  - now I'm going to write him a nice "thank you" email.

I think this is the address for the EMA he was talking about : http://www.ema-models.co.uk/

I think this is the address for the Proops he was talking about : http://www.proopsbrothers.com/

DoctorWho8

Glad he was able to fill in a gap there.  I don't think he was involved in the console, per say.  But obviously he would know his parts if he used or saw them often.  My bet would be the production designer on Snakedance, Jan Spoczynski.  He would have handled or know who did the upgrades on the console since it was the first story to be recorded.  Arc of Infinity was recorded second so they could record in Amsterdam in warmer weather.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

warmcanofcoke

guess I'll have to start looking Jan Spoczynski's website ....

museumdave

This is Awesome,

Well done tracking down not just parts but also people!  Nice detective work Nate

Thanks for sharing
cheers
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

celation

Wow. Great to have confirmation of one of the elements - particularly the green transparent bit!

Indeed - what a lovely chap.

I'll admit, I won't be completely satisfied until I've seen one reconstructed, though... :)

museumdave

Quote from: celation on Jun 06, 2012, 08:50 am
Wow. Great to have confirmation of one of the elements - particularly the green transparent bit!

Indeed - what a lovely chap.

I'll admit, I won't be completely satisfied until I've seen one reconstructed, though... :)

Here Here!

get cracking Nate ;)
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

lespaceplie

Just taking a second to blow the dust off this thread. I noticed a detail about the "rocker switches" that are made from cove molding. In this grab from "Full Circle" you can see a screw between switches. This leads me to believe that the entire row is a single piece. The space between each one is not cut all the way through. Moldings are used for at least two other kinds of switches on this console.

Incidentally, there are small moldings available should anyone be constructing a scale model. You won't find them in a home improvement store, but there are plenty of small sizes at craft and picture framing stores.

cove_detail.jpg

galacticprobe

Jan 20, 2015, 08:22 am #130 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2015, 08:23 am by galacticprobe
And that image also has some nice details of that Visualiser Circuit Adric places on the console! Nice find, lespaceplie, on that screw and the circuit!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

d33j r093r5

Oct 22, 2015, 09:44 am #131 Last Edit: Oct 22, 2015, 09:44 am by d33j r093r5
Hi, I know it's been a while since anybody posted here, and I don't really know if what I'm posting is useful after such a long time now or not, but what they hey, here goes.

I remember reading this topic while looking for information relating to the season 18-20 console room and console I'm making in 1/13th scale. It was onlu peripherally relevant, but the search you were undertaking was interesting enough, so I read a few pages and then moved on. But today, while again browsing for information for panels, I came across this interesting little image:

TARDISCOoridinates.jpg

at this address:

http://www.drwholongleat.com/id7.html

The guy is a prop maker and collector from what I can gather, and the item in his hand is from the original console. Again, I don't know if this information is helpful to you, or anyone, but I saw it, remembered this post and thought I'd share.

Cheers,

D.
ERROR READING DRIVE C: (A)BORT, (R)ETRY, (F)AIL (I)GNORE?

tony farrell

Oct 22, 2015, 04:26 pm #132 Last Edit: Oct 22, 2015, 04:29 pm by Tony Farrell
The website you've linked to belongs to a fellow Tardis Builder (Mark Barton Hill) who goes by the name of 'Timerotor' - though I'm not sure how often he logs on to TB these days!

Tony

galacticprobe

Oct 22, 2015, 06:06 pm #133 Last Edit: Oct 22, 2015, 06:06 pm by galacticprobe
Timerotor did a lot of work helping to get the DWE up and running when it was in Olympia, restoring some of the original props that had fallen into disrepair. He does poke in on us now and then (he last logged in yesterday), though he hasn't been posting much. When he does post, though, he has some great info that he shares. (I've PMed with him a few times, and he seems like a really decent fellow. I wish we could see more of him on the Boards.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

d33j r093r5

Awesome, good to know. Actually, I get the sense that most material found elsewhere on the interwebs relating to TARDIS builds probably refers in some way back to this forum, or someone on it. Kind of like trying to tell jokes to a room full of people who've already heard them all...  ;)  ;D  ::)

D.
ERROR READING DRIVE C: (A)BORT, (R)ETRY, (F)AIL (I)GNORE?