News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Tardis Floor Plaque?

Started by Lora, Jan 05, 2011, 07:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lora

Jan 05, 2011, 07:56 am Last Edit: Jan 05, 2011, 08:30 am by Lora
Hi...

Does anyone have any information or photos concerning the engraved plaque mounted to the floor in both the 10th and 11th Doctors' Tardis interiors?

In a photo from my Flickr page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24706947@N05/) called 'Smith Console 5' you can see the roughly-oval plaque's location, placed just inside the door.  In the Tennant design, it was mounted to the inner end of the ramp connecting the doors and the central platform, and was carried over to be used in the new set as well.

I have yet to see a good photo of this metal plaque -- all I can see is the rough shape and that it does have some kind of writing or artwork engraved into it.  It is mentioned and briefly (and blurrily) shown in the BBC's Tardis Tour video, but in the dim lighting not much is visible.

Thank you!

Lora

galacticprobe

Jan 05, 2011, 08:08 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2011, 08:14 am by galacticprobe
I wish you luck finding anything on this plaque, Lora. I've been asking about it for a while and so far no one has been able to find any info on what it said. (It did get awfully worn during the 9th and 10th Doctor's reign because it was on that ramp and walked over so much.

I've also seen this video "TARDIS Tour", and the plaque looks rectangular with a domed top and slightly domed sides.
(Link if anyone wants to see it, or hasn't yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWPH9Y49CCI)
If you pause the video at 1:14 you can get a real good idea of the plaque's shape, but you can't see any words that might have been on it. All you can see are two round shapes that look like they could be electrical sockets.

Maybe one of us who knows someone close to the Beeb can ask some questions and get some info from the inside on that old plaque? We've got some great photos of the new plaque on the 11th Doctor's console, which is a great bonus, but I have to admit it would be nice to also know what was engraved/stamped/cast on that old plaque.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Lora

The plaque is also quite visible in the upper right photo on page 59 of the Tardis Handbook, on the near end of the entry ramp.  You can't make out much but its general shape and color, but at least you can see where it was.

Lora

galacticprobe

Jan 05, 2011, 02:55 pm #3 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2011, 02:57 pm by galacticprobe
I know :P! I keep asking myself why they didn't include a photo of that in the book when they've included so many other nice photos of other bits of the sets. ??? It would have been nice if they'd included both plaques so we could see the differences between them.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

flaming cog

(http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5721/themanofmanyfaces.jpg)

kiwidoc

Quote from: flaming cog on Apr 27, 2011, 10:38 pm
More info on the plaque is here:
http://kristinecherry.com/blog_main/2010/05/19/new-information-on-the-tardis-interior/

I cut myself one today on the laser cutter :)

Hi Lukr  that console and toolbox Plaque is reasonably well known now but there is apparently another in the floor somewhere that was also a feature in the 9/10 tardis floor but no-one seems to have any pictures of it.

galacticprobe

Apr 28, 2011, 04:30 am #6 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2011, 04:45 am by galacticprobe
Cog, (and everyone),

That's the plaque which is on the side of the Matt Smith console. (Actually, your link is to a copy of it - a plate that's on a storage cabinet below the console platform as seen in "Amy's Choice.") There's a whole thread on that plaque here, which shows the plaque that's actually mounted onto the side of the console, on one of the leather panels, as well as the plate in your link: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2281.0.

The FLOOR plaque is the one that was on the entrance ramp floor to the 9th/10th Doctor console room like kiwidoc says. That plaque has completely different shape as seen in this photo:

TARDIS-FloorPlaque(old)02.JPG
(The above image is a screen cap from the Matt Smith console room "TARDIS Tour" video on YouTube.)

This floor plaque was in the floor at the top of the ramp, with the large domed side facing down towards the entrance doors. You can even see it in many scenes as the 9th/10th Doctor and <pick a companion> enter and leave the TARDIS. After all the walking and running across it during the Eccleston and Tennant years it's pretty well worn as you can see, but Moffat obviously liked it enough to carry it over into the Matt Smith console room and now it's in the floor there (you can see where in the "Tour" video).

I have yet to find anyone who knows exactly what this plaque said, or how its design was laid out, but I heard in one of the interviews with a member of the production crew that it did say something different than what is on the Matt Smith console plaque.

It's like my never-ending quest to find out more about this plaque. At least I've got the shape of it. In another photo that someone sent me (superrichi, was it you?) I found that those small dots around its perimeter are holes for the screws that secure it to the floor. (That photo is a little bit clearer and you can see the screws. It's in one of my other 'Who' folders; I'll find it and post that one as well later today - or tomorrow, depending on your time zone.)

Dino.

invadrzim

Apr 28, 2011, 04:51 am #7 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2011, 06:13 pm by Scarfwearer
I took Galactic's image and ran it though photoshop:

plaque01.jpg

best i could do at the moment, i think i brought out a bit of detail. in the larger circle it almost looks like a constellation pattern or something

galacticprobe

Apr 28, 2011, 03:52 pm #8 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2011, 03:59 pm by galacticprobe
As promised, here's that other (slightly clearer) image of the floor plaque. This one was actually taken with a camera (rather than being a screen grab). You can see the screws that hold the plaque in place along its perimeter. (You can even tell they're Philip's head screws, and not all of them are there; you can even see the holes for the screw heads are counter-sunk.) I've had to crop it a little to get it within the 500k limit, but it was mostly floor and grate that got cropped. (I think this one was taken from the Tennant console room ramp, hence the floor grate.)

Maybe invadrzim's excellent Photoshop skills can do more with this image than he could with the last.

FloorPlaque02a(cropped).JPG

This one is a rather large photo even after being cropped, but I wanted to show the ramp's edge and floor grate for a location reference. So if your browser auto-sized it just open it in another window or tab to see it full sized.

Dino.

invadrzim

i tried it but the information just isn't there  :(

deck5

Apr 28, 2011, 06:39 pm #10 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2011, 06:58 pm by deck5
I think two of the screws are there.  It looks like inside face of a back panel from a kitchen appliance, or possibly a radio.  I don't think there's anything written on it.

superrichi1a

When I took that photo up there, I had to get as close as possible (and I did bang my head several timeson the barriers lol), and I did notice there was some sort of engraving on it, although it was very worn and you could barley tell anything was there. I had assumed that that was just a base plate, and the scratches I saw were just from when an upper part of it had been added/removed... perhaps not...
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

deck5

Probably "No user-serviceable parts inside.  Refer servicing to a qualified professional."

:)

eddyc

Ha! 

It's an old door wear plate.

Put on a door to reinforce the area where the doorknob was placed.

turn your photo to the right and you can see it.

plaque01.jpg

You can see where the handle and keyhole were.

door-knob-set-71.jpg

deck5