TARDIS Console Part in New Series of Primeval

Started by the doctor who2, Jan 03, 2011, 03:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwidoc

There must be several of them around.   If you were in charge of Doctor Who, would you lend out a part attached to the console to other show?   No chance.     With the end parts identified, it seems to me most likely that someone made up a batch of them - probably an independant props contractor or supplier since the productions using them are not all BBC.   It would be interesting to know more about them but I'd be willing to bet that someone made a dozen or so, sold them all to a prop supply place a couple of years ago and those are all that will ever be seen (apart from clever replicas).

As ever, just my thoughts, nothing binding!

Cheers, Glen

galacticprobe

Oct 28, 2012, 11:27 pm #46 Last Edit: Oct 28, 2012, 11:30 pm by galacticprobe
Well, this "atom accelerator" has been around obviously long before it became part of the current TARDIS console: 'Red Dwarf' and 'Torchwood', at least, before it came to 'Doctor Who'. So I'm inclined to agree that this thing can/could have been bought, and I'm really curious to know from where. (Forgot to mention that it's also on the replica 2010 console in the DWE, so there's definitely more than one.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

domvar

Red Dwarf is a new ep so they are also still available

eddyc

In season 5 of Primeval there's a sceen in the weapons lockup at the ARC.

There was at least 6 of the locking devices in plain sight (not CGI).

As they cancelled the show I`m sure they may have sold off some of the props...

eddyc

Oct 29, 2012, 04:00 pm #49 Last Edit: Nov 09, 2012, 03:47 pm by eddyc
Here's a shot from Season 4 of Primeval where two Locking devices where used at one time.

ALD 2.jpg

wayne venomous

I'm spotting several other everyday items being used with this prop too! The legs of the thing in Primeval look like the heavy-duty spirit levels we have at work and the groin exploder count down clock appears to be a wall time/temperature display.

galacticprobe

Oct 30, 2012, 04:35 am #51 Last Edit: Oct 30, 2012, 04:37 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: domvar on Oct 29, 2012, 07:33 am
Red Dwarf is a new ep so they are also still available

Jeez! I just found out about this! The last series we knew about in my part of the US was Series VIII back in 1999! Now I find out there was a Series IX ("Red Dwarf: Back to Earth" miniseries) in 2009, and a new Series X that's been airing this month? I think BBC America needs to update their "Supernatural Saturday" line-up for the 'Doctor Who' off-season! Or at least give us a "comedy" night for shows like this, and others, like they used to have. (And I'm royally cheesed off that Netflix pulled 'Red Dwarf' from their streaming list before we got through Series IV. >:()

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

d0ct0r200004

Bit late but what the hell (three years :D) anywho, Red Dwarf is no longer owned by BBC so they can't show it anywhere.

as for the prop, god knows. Must be easy to find if you know the name of it though, it's always on TV!
-Doc204

rob49152

And there  are 2 more series announced to be on DAVE TV.

galacticprobe

Jul 12, 2015, 04:54 am #54 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2015, 06:20 am by galacticprobe
Okay... I really hate being the bearer of bad news, but on the Atom Accelerator/Groin Exploder front...

I'd heard that this was a sculpture from Chris Bathgate that had been mass-produced sometime back around 2005. Well, I e-mailed Chris Bathgate to ask him what the name of that sculpture was; I figured since all of his sculptures have names, if I could learn the proper name of this one then it might make things easier when searching the web for one. I described it in detail and offered to send photos if needed, but he knew exactly what item I was referring to. He sent me a very nice reply, unfortunately letting me know that the sculpture used on the 2010 TARDIS console (as well as the ones seen in 'Torchwood', 'Primeval', and 'Red Dwarf') is not one of his. Here's what he said (the pertinent part anyway; no need to bore anyone with the whole reply):

"Thank you for writing. I am sorry to say that the object you are referring to is actually not one of mine. Strangely, this is not the first time this particular prop has been incorrectly attributed to me.

The last time it happened, I believe it was someone claiming it was mine on a Doctor Who forum (again incorrectly stating that my works are massed produced).

Thank you for your compliments on my work though. Each of my sculptures is in fact a one of a kind solid machined, art object. Currently, I only show my work in Museums and other fine art settings and do not make movie props. So if you ever are in a position to straighten out the facts on a forum somewhere, please feel free to do so.

Again, I appreciate the letter, even if a misunderstanding brought you to my work, I hope you can appreciate it for what it is, instead of what it is not."

He said some more rather nice things (he really is a polite and seemingly friendly person) and then he wished me luck in my search for "the spiky ball".

So, I am in that position to straighten out the rumors on this Forum, which I'm doing now (though in my search for a source for this I did see other forums where several people have attributed this sculpture to Chris Bathgate, and as being mass-produced, and if I can find those other forums again I'll try to staunch that rumor on them as well... if I can).

And now we're right back to Square One: the item used on the above mentioned shows IS NOT a Chris Bathgate sculpture - it just happens to look like one done in his style. Someone out there must have made quite a few of them since they have cropped up on at least four shows (and on the 2010 console at the DWE), and there were at least two that I saw in that bit from 'Primeval'.

There has to be some of these things out there, still. Maybe one day I'll find one. :-\

Dino.

d0ct0r200004

Now seriously trying to find it, It must of been mass produced at one point though because they're everywhere now...

There's a fun fact tho, it's not the first time Red Dwarf and Doctor Who have used the same props, In the cyberman episode in 2013 (can't remember the episode name now...) Clara gets 'Promoted' by the doctor, the badge he gives her was used a year before in Red Dwarf, well, the RD one was smaller.

https://www.yourprops.com/movieprops/original/yp50bdfee12df8e2.80938396/Red-Dwarf-Series-X-Space-Corp-Uniform-Insignia-1.jpg

This is a picture of said badge. So there are loads of props that are mass-produced and then seen in different shows.
-Doc204

galacticprobe

Jul 14, 2015, 06:01 am #56 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2015, 06:25 am by galacticprobe
This is nothing new. The Classic Series from the early 1970s on was always using props recycled from 'UFO' (1969 in the UK, 1970 in the US) and 'Space: 1999' (Year 1, 1974 in the UK, 1975 in the US, and I think Year 2 was 1976 in both countries - both shows from ITV, by the way, not the BBC, so inter-production company prop-sharing didn't seen to be a problem), as well as props from other shows, including previous 'Doctor Who' stories.

Quote from: rob49152 on Jul 07, 2015, 03:06 am
And there  are 2 more series announced to be on DAVE TV.

And if you're referring to 'Red Dwarf', since Netflix pulled it, we've been watching it on HuluPlus (all 10 Seasons/Series so far).

As for that Atom Accelerator/Groin Exploder, good luck with that search. I've tried looking up everything I can think of, and with so many erroneous posts (which I've deleted mine) on so many forums out there saying this is a Chris Bathgate sculpture, you're always being led off in the wrong direction - and into a dead end. I'd read somewhere that back in late 2010/early 2011 ThinkGeek was selling a version of it - inexpensive (and it looked it); but they stopped selling them not long after starting. (I guess once word spread that they were low-quality replicas the sales figures dropped, and once they sold out no more were made.)

If anyone can think of some search key words that would help, please post them!

Dino.

rob49152

galacticprobe

May 27, 2016, 07:37 am #58 Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 07:38 am by galacticprobe
Good grief! How many of those valve caps did you order? There are only 8 gold and 5 blue on this. It looks like you've got enough to build several Atom Accelerators! (Although, it never hurts to have some spares on hand.)

And has anyone had any luck at all tracking down that silver connector joining the caps to the ball might be? I'm still drawing blanks.

Dino.

anime

where did you get the black ball?
"I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?" -11Th Doctor