Apr 28, 2024, 06:52 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Console and Room Reference Images

Started by peted, Apr 02, 2010, 02:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

superrichi1a

Looking at all the topics for this set I think this thread is probably the most appropriate place for this. In the latest DWM Marcus Wilson gives an interview and talks briefly about the end of the road for this set. I was very interested at the time, and still am really, in what happened to it, and I thought others might be interested in what he had to say:

"We did talk briefly about moving Matt's first TARDIS, but so much of it was built into the structure of Upper Boat that we would have virtually destroyed the set pulling it out. So you think, okay, do we want to spend all that money building a replica, or could we build a new one? And because Steven had The Doctor in The Snowmen keeping to himself for too years... It made sense to have a new TARDIS for that story."

Nothing revolutionary, but I found It interesting the concept that they considered making a replica, and it's nice to get more confirmation that that's why it was not moved. I'm still interested to know exactly what parts were saved and what will become of them, I hope they don't just go into storage, given what was shown at The Celebration they've easily got enough to put into The Experience or even retain for future use. Greatly missing this set, although I'm not oblivious to it's many issues I find many elements of it unique and visually interesting on screen, and I think it was never explored properly. Those doors underneath the far staircase for example, and falling steps, were never really visible, and aside from theories I don't think we ever actually found out why they were there or what they looked like, and the upper balcony got a few seconds screen time in "Amy's Choice" but no detail or unique shots. A console room hampered by severely missed opportunities, then, I think. They have a similar thing going with the "layers" of the current set, but still so far I've found parts of it, such as the upper balcony, corridor entrances, and secondary panels notable underused.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

DoctorWho8

I think they still do periodic tours of it on special occasions.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

watcher

So the set is still standing then??

superrichi1a

If they are that would be a dream come true! But hasn't it been destroyed already? That's the word from the staff at the DWE and the current TARDIS tour, and I think what was shown at the Celebration was what was left of the beast, what they managed to salvage, which seemed to include console, doors, parts of some walls and not much else :-\
That said, from pictures I saw there was still enough to create a reasonably convincing interior, sort of like a squashed corner of the console room a bit like the CO playset, so if that comes to The Experience that would be very exciting! And of course they have the replica already at the Experience, that is meant to be updated early 2015, so no lack of parts to recreate an early Smith TARDIS at all, hopefully we might get to see it again one day, a bit like it's predecessor in The Day of The Doctor.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

Myrzir