TARDIS Console Part in New Series of Primeval

Started by the doctor who2, Jan 03, 2011, 03:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

the doctor who2

Jan 03, 2011, 03:58 pm Last Edit: Jan 03, 2011, 04:03 pm by the doctor who2
Not sure if this is in the right section or not but anyway, i watched the episode 1 of the new series of Primeval on New Years day when a part of the TARDIS Console popped up near the end of the program, The part in question also came up in Torchwood Episode 2 series 1 (i think) and i'm sure somebody made a post of it but i can't remember where it is.
Here is the part on the TARDIS Console

21TC2010.JPG

And here it is on Primeval,

Picture5.jpg

The top section with the red bit on also looks a bit like a sonic screwdriver or is that just my imagination running wild. :)
"There's no point being GROWN UP if you can't be CHILDISH sometimes!"

The Fourth Doctor - Robot, S12 E01

greatwazoo42

Prop masters do tend to fall in love with little gizmos and geegaws they make so they tend to make sure they show up a lot, like a signature on their work. 

Makes for a good drinking game sometimes.   ;D

superrichi1a

You know what? I thought it looked familiar but couldn't quite place it. Thought I was going mad. While it's obvious that it is the same prop as in Who, I'm still sure I have seen in somewhere before. Not sure where, but, greatwazoo is probably right, and it's appeared in all sorts :)
Yes, it does look quite sonicish doesn't it?
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

Kingpin

As I recall it also appeared in the previous series of Primeval, where that device it's attache to was first developed (in-series), like you guys, it immediately reminded me of the same element on the console.

What is it, exactly?  It's always intrigued me with it's lipstick-like appendages.

the_temporal_mechanic

They do look an awful lot like lipsticks.  I wonder if they are casts or inserts or something from a lipstick shop display. 

galacticprobe

Jan 04, 2011, 08:46 am #5 Last Edit: Jan 04, 2011, 08:49 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: the doctor who2 on Jan 03, 2011, 03:58 pm
Not sure if this is in the right section or not but anyway, i watched the episode 1 of the new series of Primeval on New Years day when a part of the TARDIS Console popped up near the end of the program, The part in question also came up in Torchwood Episode 2 series 1 (i think) and i'm sure somebody made a post of it but i can't remember where it is.
.... here it is on Primeval,

Picture5.jpg
:)

You're right; I'm the one who posted it, and it was in "Torchwood", Ep 2. (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2096.msg19961#msg19961)

Scroll down about a third of the page and you'll find my post. Scroll down a little farther and you'll see Exleo's reply where he has the screen grab of this little gizmo sitting on a desk in the Torchwood Hub (while Jack and the orgasm-seeking gas-possessed girl play "dance around the table and see who can catch who").

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

eddyc

Has anyone found out what this prop is?

I was thinking of making one but if it turned out to be a cheap item I could buy it would be great.

Here's my 3D rendering of my version

Rift thingy small.jpg

galacticprobe

Mar 03, 2012, 06:42 am #7 Last Edit: Mar 03, 2012, 06:47 am by galacticprobe
From the photo of this on the console (first photo in this thread) it looks like a ball or some such that's had small areas of it flattened (the ball made from metal? wood and painted after the flattening?), and that is where the pointy things stick out from. The silver parts almost look like the back end of phono-plugs (those with large amps like those used with electric musical instruments know what I mean). The colored pointy parts look like they could be pen or fine-point marker caps that could be stuck into the open end of the plug where the cable would normally go in. They also seem to be only blue and amber/gold. So it is entirely possibly this little cutie is a custom prop.

I could be wrong about the custom part bit; the rest is just my take on what it's made of from what I can see of it. If it is a ready-made item from something I would also love to know what it is.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

domvar

It must be ready made as it's unlikely that 2 different designers working for 2 different tv companies would make the same custom item.

Dalekoracle

Mar 04, 2012, 12:00 am #9 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2012, 12:41 pm by oracle
might be worth emailing Bob Thorne over at Bobs Bits (www.bobsbits.tv) and asking if he knows what it is. Bob's supplied a lot of set dressing and prop detailing to many a production over the years (including DW, Torchwood, SJA, Primeval etc) so he would be a good person to ask.

If you've never heard of Bobs Bits, check them out.... if you're building a Console Repro, chances are you'll find some familiar items on Bobs site....

Mark D

[typo's corrected]

DoctorWho8

Here are a couple pics where identifies types of items used. http://www.bobsbits.tv/Gallery.aspx#g9
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Mar 04, 2012, 05:00 pm #11 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2012, 05:01 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: domvar on Mar 03, 2012, 08:36 am
It must be ready made as it's unlikely that 2 different designers working for 2 different tv companies would make the same custom item.

It's possible that props can be shared between series, especially when one series in production and the other is on break. It's happened here in the US often enough, so I'm guessing this is also possible in the UK?

Dino.

eddyc

I doubt they would pull pieces off of the console to lend to another productions.

Also, there was a scene in Primeval(5th season) where they had at least three of the Rift Lock guns set up in the same shot, So it has to be a stock item.

I've ordered the DVD's so I can get better screen caps of the prop.

domvar

Quote from: galacticprobe on Mar 04, 2012, 05:00 pm
Quote from: domvar on Mar 03, 2012, 08:36 am

It's possible that props can be shared between series, especially when one series in production and the other is on break. It's happened here in the US often enough, so I'm guessing this is also possible in the UK?

Dino.

Unlikely as one is BBC and the other is an ITV production, one is filmed in England and the other in Wales, also the console is permanently set up at the upper boat studios in Cardiff (until they move it to the drama village later on in the year).

galacticprobe

Mar 05, 2012, 07:31 pm #14 Last Edit: Mar 05, 2012, 07:32 pm by galacticprobe
England and Wales... yeah, the distance might be a problem there. I'm just remembering from the Classic series when you saw props from ITV's old 'UFO' series (at least I think it was ITV's) in more than one 'Who' story. Some 'Space: 1999' props (Moonbase Alpha consoles) also found their way into some 'Who' stories. But then both were filmed in England, so I guess prop sharing was possible.

Of course, do you think it would be possible for someone at ITV working with 'Primeval' to have a good friend working with 'Doctor Who', and having him ring his friend up and say "Do you have any spares of that spinny thing on the TARDIS console that I could borrow? I'd love to use it in one of our episodes."?

And they're moving the 'Doctor Who' sets to another location again? ??? That's got to cut into the budget more than just a little, I would think. Why are they moving this time? Do they need more room for something they're planning, like more scenes set in other parts of the TARDIS?

Dino.