New, New TardisBuilders!

The Five Doctors Studio Floor Plan - Tardis Set

Started by warmcanofcoke, Jan 01, 2011, 12:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Well that was fun

here is the first attempt at a diagram
InteriorDoor_zps05cb9fd9.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Apr 15, 2013, 05:05 pm #76 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2013, 05:07 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Apr 15, 2013, 01:59 pm
I'd never thought of Nicola Bryant as being a distraction before now - or did you mean Mr Strickson?!?  :o

Peri in a bikini...  :D

Turlough in a Speedo... ::)...  :P

The wall and the door... Don't know what that says about me, but those were the first things I was looking at!

;D
Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Apr 18, 2013, 12:57 am #77 Last Edit: Apr 18, 2013, 12:58 am by warmcanofcoke
after several screen captures ... it was a panoramic viewscreen - who knew the Doctor had a 16:9 widescreen?
133Frontios004_zps228c3e33.jpg

I'm able to present the view-screen wall (work in progress)
TardisScanner_zpsd3b3bc09.jpg

geminitimelord

Actually i believe the televisions in the UK were more of a 16:9 aspect ratio than our sets in the states, remember we had TV first and our standards were already outdated when UK started their broadcasts.

Im sure someone from there might know more what i refer to.

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

I may have been exaggerating a little  ;)
the little flap at the top and the bottom of the screen makes the screen less square was what I was trying to point out.

During the 1990s I thought the 'next' view screen should be panoramic - too many times the Doctor takes a quick look and thinks "looks ok to me" and then the trouble starts because of what he hasn't seen. Little did I realize at the time that was what made a good story.

warmcanofcoke

Apr 18, 2013, 02:53 pm #81 Last Edit: Apr 18, 2013, 04:47 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Apr 18, 2013, 12:57 am
I'm able to present the view-screen wall (work in progress)
TardisScanner_zpsd3b3bc09.jpg

I almost want to say the bottom separation line is about 10 inches from the floor. (judging by the height of the nearby roundels) The distance from the top of the Viewscreen edge to the top may be 15 inches.. I really have no context to judge distance on this wall. .... More study is called for.

*Edit - a solution presents itself I am making an overlay of the roundeled wall over the view screen wall and will make some initial measurements - I will them compare them to actors heights  if I can get a good screen capture of them up against the scanner wall, and see if I can't draw some lines between roundels and other reference points we do know the height of.. - much to do ....
TardisScannerwith4wall_zps82b6c78b.jpg

tony farrell

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Apr 18, 2013, 02:53 pm
The distance from the top of the Viewscreen enge to the top may be 15 inches.. I really have no context to judge distance on this wall. .... More study is called for.

Actually Nathan, you do have the 'context' you need - the top of the fourth roundel on the small panel containing the door to the rest of the Tardis broadly lines up with the top of the third of the 'ridges' on either side of the Scanner screen.
I hope this is of use.
Tony

warmcanofcoke

I see we are thinking along the same lines  ;D

warmcanofcoke

Apr 18, 2013, 06:11 pm #84 Last Edit: Apr 18, 2013, 06:46 pm by warmcanofcoke
Update with measurements we know from other diagrams ...
TardisScannerwith4wallEdit2_zpsad8a8ce2.jpg

hopefully people will see method to my madness  ;D

warmcanofcoke

Apr 18, 2013, 07:03 pm #85 Last Edit: Apr 18, 2013, 08:58 pm by warmcanofcoke
Obviously we wouldn't see the depth of the scanner alcove face on -
DepthTardisScannerwith4wallEdit_zpsdb9fcc92.jpg
In this diagram I am using the measurements of the height of a row of roundels as a virtual tape measure to figure out the height. Previously I had figured out the dimensions of the double door from hinge to hinge were 61" - it looks like the width of the scanner is about an inch shorter.
TardisScannerwith4wallEdit4_zpsa68fd4a6.jpg
Proof that the Doctor's 1980s TV was much larger than my current TV.

I bet an block transfer computation Image Translator has higher resolution than 1080p

Rassilons Rod

I know that the 60's plans had a scale of 1 foot per square and at some other point (70's?) it was 2ft. As for the 80's? Not sure...

Also, I suppose it might be studio dependent (TVC, Riverside, Lime Grove, Ealing...).
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Jul 08, 2013, 05:38 am #87 Last Edit: Jul 08, 2013, 05:38 am by galacticprobe
To hazard a guess, I'd say that each square is 1 foot. When I enlarged my screen - even to the point where it was pixelated - I could still clearly make out the numbers, at least across the bottom of the grid, that read from the left corner towards the right "0, 1, 2, 3," etc. So I'm interpolating that to mean each square is numbered in feet. (I could be wrong, but it is in keeping with some of the studio floor plans we've seen.)

And as I said, it's just a hazard of a guess.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

d33j r093r5

I'm fairly new to TARDIS construction, but have worked in engineering and materials for nearly 20 years. I'm from Australia and we work in metric generally, but on a lot of occasions we have to work in imperial, for older plans or clients. A lot of the new materials, even though measured in mm, have their footing in imperial, because dies and molds and standards are hard to change 50 years on with standing infrastructure. Many sheet sizes of many different materials as an example. Reading earlier about the size of the walls and wheter it was 2400mm or 2450mm, my guess (guess, mind you - basing this purely on what I've worked with, not on any inside information into TARDIS construction) is that the walls might be 2440mm wide. The reason is that many materials from Stainless Steel to Fibre Cement and PLENTY in between have a standard sheet sizing of 2440 x 1220mm (sometimes simplifed to 2400 x 1200mm, but NOT what they're actually sized at). This size is EXACTLY an 8' x 4' in Imperial measurement. As anything back in the day in England (and still today I believe) was measured in imperial, this would be a safe bet for me. It would also make sense to use a standard sheet size and work around that, than to try and cut materials to make things to size; it's a lot of extra work, and if you can work with the material size rather than have to chop up every single piece, then that's what you do, in my experience. Anyway, it was just a thought. Hope that's of benefit to someone...
Oh, my TARDIS build is purely in parametric design software: I'm building it in Solidworks currently. I have a 3D printer, and wanted an 80's Console / Console Room to go with my 5" collection of Doctor Who figures. I have already modelled and successfully printed the console, excluding the buttons, knobs, levers and Time Rotor, but am working on them. Am now currently working on the wall panels, doors, columns and scanner screen.
ERROR READING DRIVE C: (A)BORT, (R)ETRY, (F)AIL (I)GNORE?

galacticprobe

Jun 19, 2014, 10:09 pm #89 Last Edit: Jun 19, 2014, 10:16 pm by galacticprobe
Wow! Your build sounds very interesting (both the Solidworks version and the 3-D printed version). Hopefully you'll create a Build Diary for the Solidworks in the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=98.0 Section, and another for the 3-d printed version in the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=8.0 Section. We love photos (and virtual images) of builds and watching how peoples' creations progress from start to finish. And then we love to see more photos and images of the finish builds in the appropriate sub-board in the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=118.0 Section (there's one for TARDISes, consoles, etc.).

So good luck with your builds (both) and we look forward to watching your creations grow! (Did I mention that we love photos? ;) ;D)

Dino.