Apr 20, 2024, 09:47 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

David's Hartnell Console

Started by davidnagel, May 31, 2022, 07:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

davidnagel

As some of you know, what started off as a curiosity in a junkyard, wait- what started off as just an idea that formed into a kickstarter, we now have a mostly complete Hartnell console!

To say this was an undertaking is an understatement. I have never done vacuum forming before, nor dealt with acrylic so much, or done as much resin casting and 3d printing for such a project before.

Its so far away from still being done but I wanted to create a gallery for it in its current iteration and will come back here now and again to add its progress - while keeping the build pictures in the build thread this time!

20220528_184150.jpg

1653758078647.jpg

20220528_185007.jpg

1653765568499.jpg

1653766206806.jpg

Yes, there's gaps, yes there's no flags (the column innards aren't even finished yet :( ) but ya know, it doesn't look too bad considering!

284920063_10166277261695374_6866127820748803522_n.jpg

As you'll see the base is the seanclarke1 console base, its had brackets added to accommodate the new panels. I am hoping to finish up the new base surround soon.

Enjoy, compliments and or feedback (even if I have most of whats wrong with it covered) is all very welcome. Hell, you even have the option to ignore this post completely ;)
Regards
David

russellsuthern

Hey, Dave,

Loving the console, & the cosplay pics!!

Looks like it doesn't need too much more work to get it looking perfect!!

Regards,

Russell

fivefingeredstyre

Wow, how long has it taken you to get this far? I really like it!

ciderman

Can I ask where the hartnell roundells came from?

davidnagel

Quote from: russellsuthern on May 31, 2022, 11:28 amLooks like it doesn't need too much more work to get it looking perfect!!

It's so close I can feel it's fire!!
Regards
David

davidnagel

Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Jun 02, 2022, 11:40 amWow, how long has it taken you to get this far? I really like it!

I'm glad you like it :-)

As for time...it's been a completely unsteady and unpredictable amount of time since May last year. I had to move house, I changed jobs and generally playing dad has the rarest opportunities to do any work on the thing.

So let's say a year 🤣
Regards
David

davidnagel

Jun 04, 2022, 06:51 pm #6 Last Edit: Jun 04, 2022, 06:59 pm by davidnagel
Quote from: ciderman on Jun 03, 2022, 03:48 amCan I ask where the hartnell roundells came from?

The roundel graphic was used by permission from Clayton Hickman. It's available on his Twitter.

I tiled it in Photoshop and sent it to a banner printing company, job done 😁
Regards
David

davidnagel

Great Yarmouth Comic Con we had the pleasure of being joined by a certain Doctor and his assistant...

IMG_20220604_164550_944.jpg

Of course there were others...

FB_IMG_1654369050342.jpg
Regards
David

Volpone

As notoriously bad as the BBC stagehands were, I'm a little disappointed they managed to iron their backdrop.  But really, that's all it needs to look screen accurate.  A little ironing to take away the wrinkles.  Very nice. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

ciderman

Quote from: davidnagel on Jun 04, 2022, 06:51 pm
Quote from: ciderman on Jun 03, 2022, 03:48 amCan I ask where the hartnell roundells came from?

The roundel graphic was used by permission from Clayton Hickman. It's available on his Twitter.

I tiled it in Photoshop and sent it to a banner printing company, job done 😁
Looks amazing! Thanks.

Rassilons Rod

Lovely to see some shots with fins in place :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

davidnagel

Quote from: Rassilons Rod on Jun 05, 2022, 09:21 amLovely to see some shots with fins in place :)

Unfortunately a panel came away (its screwed in place but it can get wonky with too much leaning pressure) and the event staff turned the thing around, and revealed...the panels missing fins!

I hadn't made the last two yet!! I only managed to make 4 for the weekend and on reevaluation I made them too thin. Back to the drawing board on those, those dastardly things that seem almost impossible to make. I might consider bending acrylic but suspect the angle won't be sharp enough.
Regards
David

davidnagel

Quote from: Volpone on Jun 05, 2022, 03:12 amAs notoriously bad as the BBC stagehands were, I'm a little disappointed they managed to iron their backdrop.  But really, that's all it needs to look screen accurate.  A little ironing to take away the wrinkles.  Very nice. 

True. I've had this rolled up until recently to reduce wrinkles, but transporting it folded seemed to work better for me. Its printed vinyl and I haven't worked out how best to de-wrinkle it yet without ruining it.
Regards
David

TheDoctor

Amazing console!!!
Well Done