Mar 29, 2024, 09:00 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The 8th Doctor's new sonic screwdriver

Started by Kingpin, Nov 29, 2010, 03:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingpin

Nov 29, 2010, 03:00 pm Last Edit: Aug 03, 2015, 09:36 pm by Kingpin
This weekend's Collectormania London event offered up a fantastic opportunity to those stopping by Paul McGann's table to collect his autograph: a chance to view the brand new Sonic Screwdriver, as built by Weta.  Mr. McGann was extremely generous with letting fans handle and photograph it, and thanks to that generosity I now have the pleasure of posting some reference photographs of the new Sonic.

The new sonic is about 9 inches in length, featuring a steampunk design of wooden strips and brass-coloured fittings (the materials and look harken back to the original intended design for the TV Movie Sonic Screwdriver, before they opted for the one we eventually saw), an emitter that glows blue and the sound effect/s we've come to associate with Tennant and Eccleston's Sonic Screwdrivers, it wouldn't be too surprising if a 2005-2010 Sonic Screwdriver had been cannibalized for the electronics.

PICT2592_zpslx4kbfds.jpg
PICT2593_zpsr0fcc6os.jpg
PICT2594_zps2nhkk5gg.jpg
PICT2595_zpsbxbtsexz.jpg
PICT2596_zpsgm4akxqr.jpg
PICT2597_zpsrbnzctuk.jpg
PICT2598_zps1voa7nkw.jpg

I apologise about the blurriness of the final photo, hopefully there's still good reference.  I'm happy to provide the unscaled original digital photos if these would provide extra reference material.

2015 Edit: Sorry about the images getting zapped by Imageshack, they should be back now. :)

sanguinewolf

great shots thankyou :) ill be making one of these for my 8th's tardis interior :)

Kingpin

Nov 30, 2010, 04:32 pm #2 Last Edit: Nov 30, 2010, 04:33 pm by Kingpin
Here's a couple more photos of the sonic, as well as copies of the ones already posted, but in their native resolution.

16141697.th.jpg 75028009.th.jpg 15304787.th.jpg
18298145.th.jpg 65870414.th.jpg 57299077.th.jpg
41859502.th.jpg

the mister

whovian-almighty

It's very nice and reflects the 8th doctor, my dig is that it's abit chunky and big  :-\
So, all of time and space, everything that ever happened or ever will, where do you want to start?

greatwazoo42

Funny part is that it kinda matches the description of the cobble together sonic his incarnation made in the novel "Seeing I."

If I ever meet him I hope I have my teletranic sonic with me so we can compare notes.   ;D

galacticprobe

Nov 05, 2011, 05:09 am #6 Last Edit: Nov 05, 2011, 05:09 am by galacticprobe
Kingpin, any idea what they used to make those six "vanes" that surround the base of the crystal? They look familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

The crystal itself looks like a cross between one of those light-up necklace crystals and a "C7"-size LED Christmas tree light.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Vale

Oddly enough, despite being a fan of the steampunk look in general, I'm really not that keen on this incarnation of the sonic screwdriver (or the 8th Doctor's new look in general, to be honest). Much prefer the 11th Doctor's screwdriver. But that's just me.

Kingpin

Quote from: galacticprobe on Nov 05, 2011, 05:09 am
Kingpin, any idea what they used to make those six "vanes" that surround the base of the crystal? They look familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

Veins?  Do you mean the alternately arranged fins?  They had piping and other detailing on them (if that is what you're talking about), and make me wonder if they're kitbashed from a scale model.

QuoteThe crystal itself looks like a cross between one of those light-up necklace crystals and a "C7"-size LED Christmas tree light.

A Christmas decoration was my first choice for a likely candidate as well.

I had stopped by his table at EMS a few months back in the hope he'd have his sonic with him, but no dice (interesting how much more popular he was at EMS than at Collectormania London last year).  I have no idea if he had it with him during his costume photoshoot (his new costume, rather than his TV movie one).

galacticprobe

Nov 07, 2011, 06:37 am #9 Last Edit: Nov 07, 2011, 06:37 am by galacticprobe
Yeah: the vanes/fins, I thought they looked kit-bashed, too, and from one I've seen before. I just can't remember where.

Maybe one of these days you'll be able to get another close look at it and get a few more details about it. Being technical-minded, I'm always interested in the "mechanical" aspect of how a prop is built, what bits are used in it and such, even though I may never build one myself. (But as Sean Connery learned, "Never say Never Again".)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

joshuajjm12

Aug 28, 2014, 02:04 pm #10 Last Edit: Aug 28, 2014, 02:07 pm by joshuajjm12
This could be my second favorite sonic screwdriver.
And with the outfit, this looks perfect.

Outfit

pPaul.png
JJM :)

davidnagel

All your pictures above were deleted Kingpin, any chance of reuploading them elsewhere? Or here please?
Regards
David

Kingpin

Thanks for reminding me, you have the tedious decision made by Imageshack to fully convert themselves over to a pay-only service to thank for the deletion.

I'll look into digging up my files during the day tomorrow.

galacticprobe

Aug 29, 2014, 04:54 am #13 Last Edit: Aug 29, 2014, 04:58 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Kingpin on Aug 29, 2014, 12:28 am
...you have the tedious decision made by Imageshack to fully convert themselves over to a pay-only service to thank for the deletion.

Yet another example of why I encourage people to post their images and photos here, rather than just posting links to the photos at a hosting site. Those sites are just too unpredictable. If the site does something like this - or simply goes away, changes its URL, etc., then you're left with a dead link. And I don't think everyone keeps an exact record of which posts they make with such links in them, and even if they did, it would mean they would have to find the new URL, or a new hosting site (as in this case), and then go back to every post they'd ever made to update the links.

At least with the images posted directly on the Forum, as long as TARDIS Builders exists, those photos will always be available. (I think a couple of the Mods had also mentioned that a few years ago. I know scarfwearer was one of them, when he was still with us.)

Dino.

Kingpin

I'd linked to them as thumbnails so that the images could be kept at their native size, but obviously that isn't as necessary these days.