Differences between the season 15 and 18 wall panels

Started by Teletran, Nov 28, 2010, 12:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

Not the "entire wall", just the inner part of the roundels.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

meantimebob

I'm not disputing there's something in the centre of the roundels, that's obvious, but it isn't commercial sticky back plastic. The colour matching with the rest of the walls is too good. It's something the scenic dept painted themselves.

Rassilons Rod

Couldn't they have applied the fablon/ sticky backed plastic and then mixed up some brown paints to do the wall afterwards?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

meantimebob

Why would they bother to do that? You need to let go of the fablon myth - lol

galacticprobe

Mar 24, 2015, 04:34 pm #34 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2015, 04:45 pm by galacticprobe
Well, if you look back at the image I posted, there is a clear + in the center of the roundels where those red arrows are pointing. So something was applied to the roundels' centers - some "peel-n-stick" stuff. It might not have been that fablon stuff, but it was definitely something. It's too uniform for someone to have gone through and scored the lines in each roundel, which would have then needed to be painted over again so light didn't show through the scoring (and which would have made no sense at all).

And how do we know that "fablon" was in fact a myth rather than fact? We have so little info on this set, and it always seems like someone comes along once in a while with a new "fact" to dispel "myths", yet there's no hard proof of either. Until someone can contact the designer of this set and ask that person what was put on the walls and in the center of the roundels (and on the console panel covers for that matter), then we're never going to know for sure, and we could go on arguing this point until we all get dizzy and collapse in a pool of sick!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

meantimebob

This is getting very circular, which is kind of appropriate I guess.

No one is disputing something was put into the centre of the roundels. I'm just saying it wouldn't be a logical or practical thing for the scenic dept to use a commercial product that they'd have to colour match, when it would be easier and cheaper for them to use the same paint effect technique that they had used on the walls, on some thick paper or card, and spray mount or paste quarters of it onto the roundels.

The strips of inlay on the console read as paper to me, so I can't see why they'd use a different material for that as what they'd used on the roundels.

Probably the only person left alive who could answer this, as Barry Newbery is sadly no longer with us, would be Matt Irvine. He might not recall what was on the roundels but he would probably remember what was on the console.

tony farrell

This is a picture of a commercially available wallpaper. All I've done is cut quarter circles from different parts of it and combined them in differing orders for each 'roundel':

repro wallpaper.png

I too think the wood effect walls were painted. This however doesn't mean that the same paint effect couldn't have been applied to a large sheet of paper which could then be cut in the same way as my photo and applied to the roundels. All that would then be needed would be a coat of satin varnish to 'tie' the painted walls and painted paper-lined roundels together.

I do however disagree that this was how the effect was achieved on the console (images from Nathan's Photobucket):

AuxCon023.jpg
AuxCon032.jpg

The way the light catches the edges of the diamond pattern, suggests that each strip has a distinct depth to it. The console is clearly made from wood (plywood for the insides of the writing compartments) so, what I think was done is that grooves have been cut/dremmeled/scored into the panels' surfaces and then the 'walnut-like' paint effect (as seen on the walls) has been applied onto the grooved surfaces (and the rest of the console).

Tony

galacticprobe

Mar 25, 2015, 04:28 am #37 Last Edit: Mar 25, 2015, 04:28 am by galacticprobe
Tony, everything you've said here makes perfect sense. Now when you take into account the paper-lined roundel centers were under studio lights for Season 14 (heat), then put in storage during the "off season" (possibly not climate-controlled), when they were painted grey for Season 15 that paint would certainly cause the crinkling/bubbling effect that rassilonsrod noticed on the painted Season 15 roundels, especially that one above K-9's head in that screen grab from "Ribos Operation".

It's like trying to paint over wallpaper that's been up for a year or more (as my wife tried when she wanted to get rid of the horrid basket weave pattern that was on our kitchen cabinets when we first moved into our current house). The paint caused the wallpaper to get that same look as the roundel. (And yes; my wife did try to remove the wall paper first, but it didn't want to come off, even with steaming; it just chipped away in places like those inspection stickers that aren't supposed to come off of things once they're put on.) So we had cabinets that looked a bit crinkled, but at least it didn't feel like we were living in a 'Land of the Giants' picnic basket.

So that's probably what happened to those Season 14 roundels that were painted grey for Season 15, and why some of their centers look as crinkly/bubbly as they do.

I also think you're right about that diamond pattern on the console panel covers. There is definitely some depth to that pattern, whether scored into the wood, or some thin wood strips were inlaid over the panel. (Looking at the thickness of the cover's border on the outside edge and comparing that to the thickness of the inside edge, the inside edge is thinner, so I'm leaning more towards some sort of wooden inlay being applied.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"