Differences between the season 15 and 18 wall panels

Started by Teletran, Nov 28, 2010, 12:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

Mar 21, 2015, 11:13 pm #15 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2015, 11:33 pm by rassilonsrod
I believe all the roundels from Season 14 onwards are the same. I've done a bit of research on the walls, which thanks to season 19 (Castrovalva in particular) we can get a good idea about what was made.

For season 15, they initially had 2 lots of walls that were 3.5 roundels wide, joined by a T-Piece:
3point5.jpg

During Season 18, they made a couple of walls that were three roundels wide and a two wide. Also used was a Season 14 wall.
2015-03-01_Test_Render_01.jpg

For Logopolis, they also added an extra panel of just one roundel wide.
2015-03-01_Test_Render_03.jpg

Lastly, here is a grab from The Ribos Operation. In that you can see that they just painted over the wood-effect fablon with the grey paint...
vlcsnap-2015-03-21-23h22m50s117.png

As the roundels themselves had a lip on them, I am sure that they were mounted behind, but on the season 14 walls, they didn't have the shallow bins of the following walls and were mounted direct the back of some 20mm(???) board...

Also, those four wide walls, I believe were only built during Davison's time and were then used in the Five Doctors console room set.

Hope that helps, if I've made any mistakes here or you have a differing opinion let's hash it out - But I'm fairly sure this is right :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

It also looks as though a Season 14 wall has been used to the left of the exterior doors here too...
Public Enema Number One.

meantimebob

I don't think there was any wood effect fablon used. It looks to me like the walls were simply painted and rag rolled, or similar, to create the wood effect.

galacticprobe

Mar 22, 2015, 06:29 pm #18 Last Edit: Mar 22, 2015, 06:30 pm by galacticprobe
I think rassilonsrod was referring to the center of the roundels. In a few nice shots of the Season 14 console room you can clearly see the fablon used in the center of those (non-stained glass) roundels; you can even see the "quartering" and the line where the sections meet (giving the roundel's center a "+" line through it).

FablonRoundels.jpg
The red arrows point to some nice roundels where that fablon is quite evident. And while you can't see any in this image, in a few others the roundels have that same "diamond" pattern in their centers like the pattern on the console's panel covers.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Exactly, Dino :)

You can still see that a bit on the roundels on the exterior doors, they clearly didn't bother taking it off when they painted them grey. It looks like it's bubbled up a bit.
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Mar 22, 2015, 07:24 pm #20 Last Edit: Mar 22, 2015, 07:24 pm by galacticprobe
Depending on how "clingy" that fablon was, they probably thought it was easier to just paint over it than to pull it off, and then clean off any of the sticky stuff left behind before painting them. (Or maybe they tried, and it clung to the roundel so much that the fiberglass broke as they pulled on the fablon, so they said 'Screw it; just paint over it.')

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

It wouldn't surprise me if, as you say, they tried and it broke them.... I mean some of the roundels ended up on the doors, and other than that there are only 2 of the 4 walls made for season 14 in use afterwards.
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Sorry chaps, to my mind this doesn't make sense:

I can just about 'get' that the fibreglass roundels in the Edwardian console room were 'faced' with wood effect fablon but, how do we then from that to saying the same roundels were reused on the modified wall around the main doors and painted grey?

The positioning of the roundels is completely different. Would it really be possible to move fibreglass casts without them breaking? Would you even want to? If you still held the master mould, surely they could be recast (even vac formed) at relatively little cost?

I'm not convinced.... Sorry.

Tony

Rassilons Rod

Mar 22, 2015, 11:28 pm #23 Last Edit: Mar 22, 2015, 11:29 pm by rassilonsrod
You'd just unscrew them from the original wall and attach them to the holes in the doors. But you can see that the grey ones in the wall surround have something funny going on.

Look at the screengrab above from Ribos Operation... Then compare the roundels there with the ones in the actual doors or the ones in the other walls.
Public Enema Number One.

watcher

All these wall panels, and yet still none have survived :-(

Rassilons Rod

They trashed them all during the McCoy years... :(
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Mar 23, 2015, 06:04 pm #26 Last Edit: Mar 23, 2015, 06:05 pm by rassilonsrod
Also in Glacticprobe's image you can see light glowing through rim on the top most roundels on the wall on the right. So that shows that something was on the centre parts.

But I think there's a clear difference between the roundels that surround the doors in the door frame and the other ones. It wouldn't surprise me if the paint reacted with the fablon and caused it to bubble.

EDIT: In fact, if you look carefully at the door-frame roundel just above K9, you can just see one of the fablon seams running top left to bottom right.
Public Enema Number One.

meantimebob

Quote from: galacticprobe on Mar 22, 2015, 06:29 pm
I think rassilonsrod was referring to the center of the roundels. In a few nice shots of the Season 14 console room you can clearly see the fablon used in the center of those (non-stained glass) roundels; you can even see the "quartering" and the line where the sections meet (giving the roundel's center a "+" line through it).

FablonRoundels.jpg
The red arrows point to some nice roundels where that fablon is quite evident. And while you can't see any in this image, in a few others the roundels have that same "diamond" pattern in their centers like the pattern on the console's panel covers.

Dino.

I still don't think that's fablon. It's too perfect a match for the paint effect surrounding the roundels. I imagine it's the same as the "inlay" of the console panels, simply paper or card that's had the same paint effect treatment.

You can clearly see here that the paint effect is a bit scrappy in the centre of the roundel, which commercially produced fablon wouldn't be.

ScreenHunter_06%20Feb.%2024%2009.31.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Mar 23, 2015, 07:55 pm #28 Last Edit: Mar 23, 2015, 07:56 pm by rassilonsrod
Perhaps they didn't do all the walls in Fablon? (I'm only using the word fablon because that's what I've heard elsewhere... But some sort of sticky backed plastic...) Perhaps only some "hero" walls?

There's some clear lines on other Roundels though. I certainly agree it's the same whatever-it-is that's on the console lids.
Public Enema Number One.

meantimebob

I really can't see the BBC set painting dept using sticky back plastic to cover entire walls when a simple paint effect would be easier and cheaper. Besides, you can see it's a paint effect, honestly you can. The darker colour collects and pools in places. There is no sticky back plastic. It's all the same paint effect, with painted paper used in the centre of the roundels and on the console.

I think the fablon myth belongs in the same category as the one where the season 14 walls supposedly warped in storage. They were started by someone who didn't know the real answer and have been taken as gospel ever since.