Mar 29, 2024, 06:35 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2010 Promo Lamp

Started by ThisJustinOnline, Jan 08, 2011, 04:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisJustinOnline

Jan 08, 2011, 04:43 pm Last Edit: Oct 22, 2012, 12:57 pm by Scarfwearer
Started converting my 2010 TARDIS lamp...still a ways to go yet, but what do you think?

IMG_4115.jpg

IMG_4117.jpg

IMG_4120.jpg

timerotor

Jan 08, 2011, 06:15 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 06:45 pm by timerotor
WELL DONE (SO FAR),
I have done a similar lamp and know how hard it can be to get these things right! (I don't like the top of mine as it is) - don't know why... but I seem to have developed an obsession for the Tardis lamps, I have made one from each era!
I found that cutting through the top of the lamp (which is the same as yours) was awful, but necessary to lower the top. Its very thick metal and took me hours of sawing with a hacksaw - and my hands were bruised for days afterwards.
I think you have made a good go of the top having NOT done this painful action (it looks better than mine), you've inspired me to have another go! I have seen the BBC prop and I can't work out why its different...
I think they may have used the same lamp as you and I, but they have used a superior lense - which is more like a propper fresnel.
The top is NOT the previous Tennant Tardis lamp as that is still intact, (and slightly different again) -but they've used something else like the top of a Gardman Lantern. The side bars - I can't work out if there are four and if they are equally placed or if like yours they are irregularly
placed... Hmmmmm.... I will have another go at mine , now you have inspired me with your excellent replica!
Wel done mate!WalesG1CF375YL.jpg
Timerotor :)
living, learning, loving, refurbing, & preserving!

superrichi1a

Hi, nice work! :)
So... does this mean you are upgrading your TARDIS from 2005 to 2010? Sorry if I have missed a trick here, not been "on the ball" so to speak recently.
With my lamp, I wasn't going to bother adding a roof part to the New Haven lamp part, I didn't think it was worth the extra £30 (or 50$ in your case, I assume), but, seeing your pictures I have really come to the conclusion that mine needs it. It just adds that extra feature, moving the lamp, and by extension the box, to that next level. Nice work :)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

ThisJustinOnline

Jan 08, 2011, 11:07 pm #3 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 11:08 pm by Primrodo
Funny enough the top came from a different lantern! But was close enough!

I am debating weather or not to even out the spokes, I may though!

IMG_3316.jpg

I MAY add it to my TARDIS for fun, but not sure yet, I do like my Garden lantern! If i can find a good deal I may even do the correct anchor show style