News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1:10 scale Yardley Jones Model

Started by hambone, Nov 10, 2010, 07:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hambone

Nov 10, 2010, 07:17 pm Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 05:00 pm by Scarfwearer
Greetings from Minnesota, USA:

I decided a while back that I needed a TARDIS model in my office. While scouring the www for commercially available kits I happened upon this fantastic site. It's obvious that a scratch-built model is the way to go. There are some really amazing builds posted here!

Hopefully posting my progress will help me avoid some problems along the way, and/or help a future builder.

I'm using a PDF of TYJ plans from the reference section.
The base and corner posts are almost finished.

IMG_5867.jpg
IMG_5864.jpg
IMG_5878.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Looking good so far :)

...and Welcome btw :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

lespaceplie

Are you using balsa or basswood? I've been working on 1:8 in basswood and 1:16 in polystyrene sheet (projects I need to update and share in this forum).

I took a different approach to the corner posts by gluing quarter round strips into the corners, but if you can router them, go for it!

I plan to create a list of pieces and construction diagrams soon that will append the existing PDF files with additional pages.

jasononion

Looking good :)

What are you going to use as handles?

I done a model build ages ago and found heavy duty staples were good.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Regards,

Onion

hambone

Thanks for the comments.

Wood: it's a mix of maple, pine, basswood.... just stuff I had laying around.
I have a 1/8" radius beading bit that I had hoped to use to shape the columns. Unfortunately it's slightly too big for this scale so I just rounded the corners of a square stick and applied thin faces to the four sides. It takes longer, but should work.
23164-01-200.jpg

Handles: I'm a long way from needing handles! :) I'll try the staples when I get there. Maybe there's a way to make copper wire look like antiqued brass?

hambone

Nov 11, 2010, 03:43 pm #5 Last Edit: Nov 11, 2010, 04:52 pm by hambone
A bunch of leftover Ikea Venetian blind slats make perfect TARDIS door framing. They have been sitting in my garage for three years, now I know why!

A mini miter box jig with a stop block ensures 40 identical door rails.
IMG_5894.jpg

jasononion

Bit of a way off for handles!  :)
Thinking of the little things:

How do you propose to make the top signs and telephone door lettering?

I did mine by high res print out then laminate it after it was cut to correct size.
I gave it to Dallas Slade from the exhibition at Longleat and its still ok after 15 years!

Anyway, yours looks very professional and made with good materials. Far exceeds my attempt of plastic and a lot of hope!

Looking forward to more photos and progress.

Onion

hambone

I'm hoping to illuminate the top signs, so I'll either laser print on thin white paper that will go behind acetate, or print directly on acetate and then frost the back.

Has anyone tried frosting acetate with CA glue fumes? -- I've done it inadvertently on an R/C airplane canopy....oops!

hambone

Three more sides to go - this is going to take a while. :-\
IMG_5924.jpg

lorisarvendu

Yeah, no matter what material you use, that "building the sides" bit seems to take forever!