May 01, 2024, 09:17 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Action Mats roughly 1/2 size TARDIS

Started by action_mat, Nov 02, 2010, 07:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

action_mat

That's a good idea Rocket :)  I had planned to paint the panels on.  The other walls are flat ready for the mirror, console and gold vinyl (windows hidden from the inside).  I was hoping to find the flower pots they used in a smaller size for the side walls, if nothing suitable turns up, maybe hexagons in black vinyl with a 2" round mirror in the centre of each one.

DoctorWho8

Add disco lights and you could have a great 1 person party with all those mirrors. ;)
BIll "the Doctor" Rudloff

action_mat

action_mat

Dec 08, 2010, 09:59 pm #33 Last Edit: Dec 09, 2010, 01:13 am by action_mat
Just the floor panel to make, apart from that I'm finished.  Put her together tonight for the first time since I painted her :)

This is how she goes together.  Base down, holes for dowels (broom handle) at the bottom of each post.  The rear panel has the console bolted to it.  It's heavy, but manageable and self supporting when slotted in place, making assembly a one man job.
tardis044-1.jpg
Sides slot in, catches hold her together...
tardis045-1.jpg
The roof slots down and tightens the structure
tardis051-1.jpg

tardis052-1-1.jpgtardis049-1.jpg

rocket

Absolutely beautiful, someone is gonna have the best Christmas ever!
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

bad wulf

Wow! It looks great..I wish you and your family a very happy Christmas!
Sara
Donna: Doctor, what is it, what's Bad Wolf?
The Doctor: It's the end of the universe!

action_mat

Dec 09, 2010, 12:07 am #36 Last Edit: Dec 09, 2010, 01:14 am by action_mat
Thanks Rocket and a very good Christmas to you too Sara and all the other forum members.   :)

I'm sure the little lad will blow a fuse when he rips the wrapping paper off.  The when he opens the door and sees the console, he'll find the customary welcoming gift for the new type 40 owner.  A big bag of jelly babies ;D

Could a member of admin change the thread title?  I assumed this was roughly 3/4 size, but as the NST is so large it isn't; just measured it at 1.625 metres to the top of the lamp.  Could someone please tell me what scale this makes my build?

jasononion

A cool Dad makes his lucky lad, the best Christmas present ever, fact!
Good man.

Looks stunning.
Have a fantastic Christmas.

Onion

geminitimelord

Excellent build!  I love the Mirror giving the interior the illusion of being larger. If all walls and doors were in mirrors inside would be infinite LOL

cyberstephen

Looks brilliant, man. You'll need to tell us what he says when he opens it on Christmas Day.
Stephen

rocket

Dec 09, 2010, 02:40 am #40 Last Edit: Dec 09, 2010, 02:42 am by rocket
Quote from: cyberstephen on Dec 09, 2010, 02:17 am
You'll need to tell us what he says when he opens it on Christmas Day.

We'll need a video of that.

Hope you've got plenty of paper to wrap something that big. Unless of course you use dimensionally transcendental paper  ;)

Are you going to put on the St Johns Ambulance badge, I've never really been a big fan of it personally, but see the Smith Tardis has one, and with that console inside there's no mistaking it for a Smith...
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

deck5

Quote from: action_mat on Dec 09, 2010, 12:07 amI assumed this was roughly 3/4 size, but as the NST is so large it isn't; just measured it at 1.625 metres to the top of the lamp.  Could someone please tell me what scale this makes my build?

I'd say about 1/2 scale.

drew30

i hope you got your son new underwear also because i think he is gonna need them when he sees this buy the christmas tree. your gonna make your son's dreams come true and a christmas he will never forget. best thing i have ever seen a father do for a son. just awesome!

action_mat

Dec 09, 2010, 11:45 am #43 Last Edit: Dec 10, 2010, 11:54 pm by action_mat
Thanks everyone, your comments are really appreciated.   :)

I'm waiting for my St John Ambulance sign to be delivered , along with the MKII phone box sign.  The first one had 'Police Telephone' missing from the top line.  The signwriter was very apologetic and is sending another free of charge.  I'll post pictures in the Tardis Gallery when completed (my camera only takes a decent shot in daylight with a tripod).
This has been a thorougly enjoyable experience for me.  We're moving house next year, then I'll build a full size in the new garden.  Maybe a NST, or a Davidson era Tardis (my sons favourite Doctor).   Whatever I decide to build, the Tardis builders bug has bitten me and I'm pleased to have come across this wonderful site with all its friendly advice and invaluable knowledge.

Rassilons Rod

Great build and wonderfully innovative too :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.