May 29, 2024, 06:17 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Naming of Parts

Started by DoctorWho8, May 15, 2010, 06:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Feb 14, 2018, 12:24 pm #90 Last Edit: Feb 15, 2018, 06:26 am by The14thDr
Well, I came to this thread for a completely different reason but it looks like I have an unfulfilled promise from way back in 2016! Sorry about that. :P

I’ve had these on my laptop for a long time now, I just completely forgot to post them! Here are both the copper and black versions of the Magpie Electricals logo, cropped to match the one on the console keyboard.
5CADDC23-5685-43E9-BEF2-BEE6ACF8A496.jpeg
B0B8296A-CE3D-456B-B227-D170E5489385.jpeg

And here’s what I originally came here for. ;D I found a Jacob Jensen telephone on eBay and the seller was kind enough to post some key measurements in the product description.

The phone measures roughly 45x20x200, and the overall size is 130mm x 20mm x 200m.
879BF257-91EF-4ABD-A0CF-CA085A9249EF.jpeg

These telephones tend to be quite expensive, so I hope these measurements will be useful for anyone wanting to build their own from scratch.
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Feb 15, 2018, 05:46 am #91 Last Edit: Feb 15, 2018, 05:46 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Feb 14, 2018, 12:24 pm
Well, I came to this thread for a completely different reason but it looks like I have an unfulfilled promise from way back in 2016! Sorry about that. :P

No worries, 14th. As they say, better late than after Time comes to an end. ;)

And here's what I originally came here for. ;D I found a Jacob Jensen telephone on eBay and the seller was kind enough to post some key measurements in the product description.

The phone measures roughly 45x20x200, and the overall size is 130x20x200.

Great find! I'm guessing the measurements are in millimeters.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

Feb 15, 2018, 05:53 am #92 Last Edit: Feb 15, 2018, 05:56 am by Davros Skaro
Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 15, 2018, 05:46 am
And here's what I originally came here for. ;D I found a Jacob Jensen telephone on eBay and the seller was kind enough to post some key measurements in the product description.

The phone measures roughly 45x20x200, and the overall size is 130x20x200.

Great find! I'm guessing the measurements are in millimeters.

Dino.

Would be a very large phone if it was in inches, RAFISSPPMSL!  :D ;D

Chris.

P.S. No offense meant by the way Dino!  :)
Chris.

The14thDr

Sorry, yes that’s in millimetres. I’ve edited my post to avoid any further confusion. :)

And for our members across the pond (and anyone else not using metric system), here are those measurements in inches: 1-3/4” x 3/4” x 7-7/8”.

The14thDr

Quote from: galacticprobe on Mar 06, 2016, 09:11 am
Here's a better look at those little puzzlers:
3-PositionToggle.jpg
From what we've been able to see of them - at least the way the Doctor works them in "The Eleventh Hour" - they appear to be 3-position toggle switches: center, up, and down.

I had a brainwave while watching Top of the Pops which led to me searching for "guitar switches" - which in turn led me to these "pickup selector switches":
6625C5CF-4F88-4AD4-BE05-2F99274EDAF3.jpeg

Not an exact match, but they seem to have the right sort of look. Hopefully this brings us one step closer to identifying these switches?

galacticprobe

Jun 16, 2018, 05:00 am #95 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2018, 05:02 am by galacticprobe
Brainwave? I'd say more like a cerebral tsunami! Those might not be exact matches, but like with the Secondary Levers on the Brachacki console, if you removed that black knobbie and slid a small metal tube over the flat "blade" sticking up from the housing, I think these could be made to work. All they'd need is a different knob on each one to look the part. And since we don't really know what those switches did on the console - as in we never saw any lights blink or anything spin when the Doctor used the switches, which he rarely did after "The Eleventh Hour" - anyone building a replica of this console could just have these on the console panel and not bother hooking them up to anything. Or they could be hooked up to something that made a suitable console noise. Endless possibilities.

Great find, 14th!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

abrxx

My apologies if this has been posted about already, but I often here talk of the "TARDIS Manual" which was given to Matt Smith by the props department. Has anyone ever gotten a copy of this and uploaded it? I would love to see this.

The14thDr

Jul 28, 2018, 08:19 am #97 Last Edit: Jul 28, 2018, 08:26 am by The14thDr
Page 1 of the main reference topic for this console (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2054.0), posted by seanclarke1:
CCED9DD8-158E-42B2-AF04-38A6B4CAB262.jpeg

This was from one of the "Doctor Who: Confidential" episodes that aired right after the show; it's less of a manual and more a labelled diagram showing the rough functions of each control. Unfortunately some of the labels are a little hard to read, but this was the best quality screenshot I could find.

Hope this helps.
-- 14th

handofomega

I personally never cared for the labeling that the production team came up with:

Diagnostic
Navigation
Helm
Communications
Fabrication
Mechanical

I prefer the system I came up with instead:

Navigation
Power Systems
Communications
Helm
computer/diagnostic
Defense

I just feel that the idea of a "fabrication" and a "mechanical" panel on the main console made no sense for the flying of the ship.  And don't get me started about the Telepathic controls panel that was such as WASTE OF SPACE on the Smith/Capaldi console...

Cardinal Hordriss

I've had these on my laptop for a long time now, I just completely forgot to post them! Here are both the copper and black versions of the Magpie Electricals logo, cropped to match the one on the console keyboard.
5CADDC23-5685-43E9-BEF2-BEE6ACF8A496.jpeg
B0B8296A-CE3D-456B-B227-D170E5489385.jpeg

Oooo thanks for those. I'll put one somewhere on my xylok.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

galacticprobe

Jul 29, 2018, 05:09 am #100 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2018, 05:12 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: abrxx on Jul 27, 2018, 10:27 pm
...I often here talk of the "TARDIS Manual" which was given to Matt Smith by the props department.

Quote from: The14thDr on Jul 28, 2018, 08:19 am
Page 1 of the main reference topic for this console (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2054.0), posted by seanclarke1:

There is a very clear set of images for this same Props Dept. "manual" in The TARDIS Handbook by Steve Tribe (still available from Amazon). It's cool little book that no Whovian should be without.

Dino.

davidnagel

Quote from: galacticprobe on May 15, 2014, 05:11 amToo bad there aren't more pics in that listing. This way we could see some of the missing words (hidden by dark shadows) on the console:
USAFautopilotPanel.jpg
Some of the panel has been modified from its original form, such as those three black discs (two under the green lights and one under the words "AUTO PILOT"). Those are covers for the bulbs that lit up the words (internal back-lighting; most military equipment has that and I worked on consoles loaded with them!). Oh, and those lights are red, so the letters would light up red at night.

They've also taken off the words "AUTO PILOT". But then this may be a different revision of the same control panel (notice the spacing of "YAW TRIM" above that large bottom right knob; it's different on the console than it is in the eBay listing).

So, time to further analyse the panel on the TARDIS console. Zooming in on the above photo and lightening it to near glare proportions (a pic on my computer, not posted here) I can see the following:
  • first, no "AUTO PILOT" wording on this panel; ("Thank you, Captain Obvious.");
  • All four green light bezels have "DIM" on them, with a very short arrow extending from the M and pointing clockwise, with the rightmost bezel also having "PRESS TO TURN" centered directly opposite its "DIM" and arrow (in case anyone wants to know how these work, turning the bezel operates a "clam shell" that closes off the opening, limiting how much light comes through; the pilot can set these to suit his eyes, and it's the bezel lenses that are green, not the bulbs);
  • under the leftmost green light are the letters "ENG"; under the next green light is "BAR" (and of course below that is "ALT");
  • the last two green lights have "ASW" below them; the third green light has "CABLE" below the "ASW", and the last green light has "ALT" under the "ASW";
  • the first red button has "STANDBY" under it; the last three red buttons all say "OFF", and under the 'Standby' it reads "C.G. TRIM";
  • above the hole (actually a meter) in the center bottom reads "NULL INDIC" (probably short for "Null Indicator or Indication");
  • the small meter inside that hole (rather deeply set) has a small needle in a wide curved slot at the bottom - a meter reminiscent of the Hartnell console kind - with an "R" on the right end; the left side is obscured by the housing because the meter is so deeply set. At a guess, it could be an "L"; the meter needle isn't very thick, but it's also not a hair-thin one either - looks to be about as thick as the 'uprights' in the letter N of "NULL";
  • the needle moves on a large, domed silver pivot; below the pivot are very fine letters, the top ones looking like "PACE" (makers of some meters);
  • below that, starting directly under the E in PACE is "090" (again I can't see what's to the left of that because the meter is so deeply set), but it's probably the rest of the meter's serial number; (unless someone has a good shot of this panel from a different angle, you'll probably have to make up the rest of the serial number).

And that's about it for the stuff hidden by those shadows. The rest is easily legible. I hope this helps everyone.

Dino.

Image1.jpg
Regards
David

ThisJustinOnline

Quote from: The14thDr on Jun 15, 2018, 07:54 pm
Quote from: galacticprobe on Mar 06, 2016, 09:11 amHere's a better look at those little puzzlers:
3-PositionToggle.jpg
From what we've been able to see of them - at least the way the Doctor works them in "The Eleventh Hour" - they appear to be 3-position toggle switches: center, up, and down.
I had a brainwave while watching Top of the Pops which led to me searching for "guitar switches" - which in turn led me to these "pickup selector switches":
6625C5CF-4F88-4AD4-BE05-2F99274EDAF3.jpeg

Not an exact match, but they seem to have the right sort of look. Hopefully this brings us one step closer to identifying these switches?

Well! I accidentally found these!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/251402944592

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

MacktheTardisGuy

Quote from: whovian-almighty on Sep 15, 2012, 12:41 amRight last one tonight now guys or I'll be up all night!  :P

The blue valves in the picture below are Water Shut off Valves, the blue is an unusual one as I've only ever seen red or brass, however the do exist! and I have found them so will provide a link  :) of course only the handle has been used, so if you were to buy them for a replica of the 11th Doctor Console some tweaking would be involved.

Water shut off valve.png

Link to item - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eastman-Compression-Stop-Water-Shut-Off-Valve-265033-/370023343909?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56271c2725

hope it helps! :)

They're called Nibco 3/4 Solder Rising Stem Gate Valves, they pop up on ebay from time to time

Volpone

Blue is fairly common in the United States.  If you just need the handle part, $9 or so at Lowe's:  https://www.lowes.com/pd/ReliaBilt/5005479065 (Bah.  You're not in the USA.  Still, I'll leave it for any builders in the USA.) 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.