Jun 21, 2024, 04:18 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

My scarves and new scarf site

Started by lespaceplie, Oct 26, 2010, 02:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lespaceplie

Oct 26, 2010, 02:06 pm Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 01:32 pm by Scarfwearer
Of course, I'm sure most of us are already familiar with the gold standard site for scarf info, http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com, but I've added a complementary site:

http://www.scarffactory.info

factory.png

Chris Brimelow, creator of the site, acquired the final incarnation of the 7 color scarf not too long ago. The scarf as it appears in "Shada" is a pieced together mutant of the remains of the original scarf and the Season 13 stunt duplicate. As you can imagine, it is quite worn but is being taken care of in a manner to prevent wear and further exposure.

Brimelow had visited the scarf when it was in the hands of the previous owner to collect color data in order to make more authentic yarn recommendations on his site. With some swatches mailed to him by me plus his own trips to the yarn shops, we have compiled, and are continuing to compile, fresher, better suggestions.

You would think my site couldn't be anything but redundant with his, but the recommendations are different. We agree entirely on colors, but I have created some single brand profiles that should be easier to novice knitters as well as low and high risk mixed profiles. I'll be adding some knitting tips and ephemera later. As a bonus, this is also the home of the K-9 plans.

In the meantime I have 2 (and soon 3) scarves on the needles that are working out perfectly. I'll share photos soon.

DoctorWho8

Did Chris have to pay Richard 6500 GBP? ;)  I got Chris in touch with Richard after Richard asked my opinions of the scarf when it was for auction back in 11/05.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

lespaceplie

I don't know and haven't asked. I'm sure it was plenty.

DoctorWho8

Well, we all know it's in a good home.  Richard kept very good care of it in the few years he had it.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

exleo

I'm just curious to know how much it would generally cost in wool to produce a series 17 length scarf....cant be cheap, but I admit I have always wanted one:)

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: exleo on Oct 27, 2010, 08:08 pm
I'm just curious to know how much it would generally cost in wool to produce a series 17 length scarf....

I don't think yarn is that expensive. I would suggest asking a friend who knits and offer them something in exchange :)

I certainly don't have the patience to knit. I have often thought about buying a knitting machine, knocking up each of the variant scarves and selling it on :D
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

exleo

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Oct 27, 2010, 08:14 pm
I have often thought about buying a knitting machine, knocking up each of the variant scarves and selling it on :D

That thought has crossed my mind too as wouldn't know where to begin with knitting needles..lol ;D

lespaceplie

Oct 27, 2010, 11:57 pm #7 Last Edit: Oct 27, 2010, 11:59 pm by lespaceplie
In my own wool choices it would cost around $175 in yarn. Things can be adjusted for a bit lower budget with some minor concessions.

These scarves are not suited to machine knitting in most cases. That is because they are entirely garter stitch. All hobby machines only do stockinette, which places all the loops to one side creating a smoother opposite side. To generate garter stitches on a hobby machine, a garter bar is used to manually flip the knitted fabric over and hook it back on the needle bed. There are pricier machines that have a garter carriage (operates slower than hand knitting) or double bed machines (requires transfer between beds for each row). In other words, it's not practical to machine knit these unless you get a factory type machine that costs more than having someone knit a dozen scarves for you.

I am devising a machine to knit garter stitches, though. Instead of taking the needle bed approach of hobby machines, I'm approaching it from the notion of the knitting process on 2 needles.

There are machine knit scarves out there - even the 1976 officially licensed one by Today Promotions. These are knitted as tubes in stockinette then turned wrong side out to put all the loops on the outside. They don't look bad, but they don't duplicate the original.

exleo

See I know nothing about knitting and that proves it, great information and no need to continue searching gleebay for a machine...lol
I will get my scarf oneday, would have been nice for winter though ;D

Organic Mechanic

Now, if you're not opposed to going "Non-Wool" for the scarf, you can expect to pay as little as $24 for the yarn. There is the added bonus of easy cleaning too.

Rassilons Rod

Wow, I had no idea that machines wouldn't do garter! Another dream dashed  ;D
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

lespaceplie

I'm working on an all synthetic profile. I haven't found perfect colors all in one brand, though.

There is a pattern out there that uses Lion Brand Vanna's Choice, but that yarn is bulkier than the original pattern requires. That pattern is abbreviated to fewer rows and stitches. This makes the scarf too chunky and crafty. I don't recommend it.

I have contacted Coats & Clark about creating the full 7 colors in their Red Heart Soft Yarn. It already has 4 spot on colors. Surprisingly, I got an actual response from their marketing and design department. Making them aware of popular projects can influence their color decisions, though I wouldn't expect the changes soon.

Quote from: Organic Mechanic on Oct 28, 2010, 01:47 am
Now, if you're not opposed to going "Non-Wool" for the scarf, you can expect to pay as little as $24 for the yarn. There is the added bonus of easy cleaning too.

Organic Mechanic

I'll have to check with my "Madam Nostradamus" as to what brand she used. She sent me this progress pic last night, and it seems to hang just about right. (I wish she had consulted me on a few of those colors first, but hey, the work was free. lol) She described the texture of this yarn as "Very much like Cashmere". I understand that she only knits with whatever brand yarn this is. Something about sensitive skin.

5.jpg

I should be receiving the finished product tonight, so I can get better pics and the brand of yarn then. But from what I can tell from this pic, this yarn with better color choices may just fit the bill.

lespaceplie

Any reason this got moved out of the Costumes section? It's not just to promote the link. The particulars of the scarves are going to be discussed here, too.

Scarfwearer

Only that it should be one or the other...

Just the librarian in me trying to keep us organised.

Crispin