Apr 16, 2021, 06:09 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Bad Wulf's Model Blue Box

Started by bad wulf, Oct 19, 2010, 11:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bad wulf

Even More Roof

I then used the roof calculator on this site to calculate the angle and size of the roof slates. (Thank you for that, I am hopeless when it comes to math!)
I then made a mock roof out of cardboard to make sure I had all the right size pieces. I strongly recommend this as it is easier to re cut cardboard than wood..
After I was sure that everything fit I cut the roof slats:

IMG00323-20100823-1955.jpg

IMG00310-20100818-1952.jpg
Donna: Doctor, what is it, what's Bad Wolf?
The Doctor: It's the end of the universe!

bad wulf

Oct 21, 2010, 10:49 pm #16 Last Edit: Oct 22, 2010, 01:31 am by bad wulf
As I am new at this wood working thing the roof was not perfect..until I discovered WOOD FILLER!! Yeah!! I also cut a small square of lattice for the exterior lamp perch. I also drilled a hole in the center to allow light into the lamp.

IMG00396-20100911-1405.jpg

At this point, I got a little wood filler happy and cleaned up other parts of my TARDIS..then hand sanded it once it was dry.

bad wulf

Oct 21, 2010, 10:50 pm #17 Last Edit: Oct 22, 2010, 01:16 am by bad wulf
Base..try two!

I rebuilt the base using 1' square piece of dowel to give more support as I did not think the lattice slats I used on the first base would hold the old girl when she was finished. It's almost 10 pounds! I also bought a small model building plain from the local hardware store. (they got to know me over the summer)  I shaved off the edges of the base to almost a 45 degree angle. The base was slightly larger than the TARDIS before I used the plain, but fit perfectly after!

IMG00429-20100918-1712.jpg

IMG00431-20100918-1809.jpg

IMG00313-20100820-1943.jpg

More to come tomorrow!

bad wulf

Sorry for the delay..I've had a nasty cold! Ok where was I?!?

Neighbours, Disappearing Gnomes & a General Rethink of the Project

As shown in pictures above, I did most of this project outside in the backyard of my apartment building. It's a small apartment building and everyone knows each other. My poor neighbours are use to me doing little projects in the back yard, and always have been kind and supportive. This time was no different. They would wander over for a peek and to ask how it was going, offer any tools they might have to lend that they thought I might need, and they offered some advice. I told most of them at the beginning that it was meant to be an outdoor garden light. I have a sweet 90 year old neighbour, who on her nightly walk, would stop by the bench and ask how my "spaceship" was going.  At the point where we are in the photo log, she stopped me in the hall one afternoon and asked to speak to me about my "spaceship". 
"I have something to tell you," she said in a hushed tone, "there have been a few garden gnomes stolen down the street, I would suggest that you keep you lovely..what's it called?"

"TARDIS"

"yes TARDIS, inside. You've worked so hard on it. But please let me see it when it is finished!"
I thanked her and promised her I would. I then wondered all the way to my apartment if it was a ploy by the neighbourhood to hide my geek art?! Then my sister confirmed that there were a rash of gnome thefts on the street, and that a few other neighbours had stopped her to let her know that "if those kids would steal an ugly gnome they sure as heck would steal a TARDIS!"

So instead of an awesome garden light, the Solar TARDIS project turned into a cool indoor light up model. I was ok with it. Luckily, my roommate (who also happens to be my awesome older sister) is a Torchwood fan and was very ok with finding a display area for it in our apartment!

IMG00395-20100911-1248.jpg

bad wulf

The Lamp

Finding a proper scale lamp was hard. The closest I could get was the cap of a travel Fabreeze bottle. Here are all the materials I used.

IMG00421-20100917-2017.jpg

It's basically the lid with striped placed on it with marker and then the base and the cap made out of suction cups  with a thumb tack for the crown. I then uses wooden sticks for the rest of the casing.

IMG00427-20100917-2242.jpg

bad wulf

Painting

Due to the many different kinds of wood used in the build, I decided to prime the old girl before painting her blue.

IMG00402-20100913-2231.jpg

Then after that dried two coats of  acrylic navy blue (I like the dark blue TARDIS)

IMG00408-20100914-2230.jpg

IMG00412-20100916-2203.jpg

bad wulf

Signs

I had to wait a couple of weeks before I could get to the signs because of work so my model sat like this on my desk:

IMG00434-20100919-2011.jpg

After awhile my sister and I agreed that it started to look like Bender from Futurerama, so temporary paper signs were put in place.

IMG00478-20100926-2227.jpg

(and yes that is a K-9 dog toy in the making for my dog Jeter..but that's an entirely different thread!)

After work let up I was back to working on my TARDIS. The signs were made by laser printing them onto transparencies and then using photo matting spray adhesive just as in the tutorial on these boards.

IMG00510-20101002-1742.jpg
I then glued wax paper onto the sign frames and then the signs onto that.

bad wulf

Finishing touches

I had run out of Balsa wood dowel, so I substituted wooden match  sticks (the really long ones) for the next couple of parts .
I measured all of the sides of the signs, cut the match sticks, pained them and then glued them to the edges  of  the signs to finish them off.

IMG00518-20101002-2247.jpg

Door Jams

The wooden match sticks were not as long as the TARDIS doors, so I had to use two match sticks for length, and two for width. TO make it all seamless I used wood filler to make it look like one piece of wood. Yes, this is the same photo as above, but look at the door jam this time!
IMG00518-20101002-2247.jpg

Phone Door

I did have some really thick dowel left, so I mitered the corners, painted them and then stuck them around my printed sign door!

IMG00534-20101003-1856.jpg

The Door Hardware

I used brass picture hanging wire. I used a set of pliers to flatten the ends for better gluing. The lock is just the head of a brass nail glued on there.

HPIM3666.jpg

The Bad Wolf Sign
It's on there at the urging of my sister. I have 3 Police call box signs (one in the front and two on the sides) and the one Bad Wolf sign on the back. It's useful for pictures!

HPIM3672.jpg

Back tomorrow to express thanks to a few people and after thoughts!

deck5

DoctorWho8

Ah, funness!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff