New, New TardisBuilders!

CyberStephen's K-9 build

Started by cyberstephen, Oct 11, 2010, 09:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cyberstephen

Nov 04, 2010, 03:04 pm #15 Last Edit: Nov 04, 2010, 03:11 pm by cyberstephen
EPISODE ONE: INVASION OF THE FOAM

Me: What's that, K.9?

K.9: The pipe-lagging delivery for my bumpers, master.

Me: It seems they might have miscalculated on that order of £6.37 for 2 metres, K.9. Looks like you've got a year's supply there!!!  :o

K.9: Affirmative.

To be continued...DSCF1776.jpg
Stephen

Rassilons Rod

Haha, that certainly IS cheap stuff :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

cyberstephen

I rang the company and was told the boss was on holiday 'til Tuesday so I'm stuck with that lot until then at least! All I needed was one and I've got a job lot of around 100!!!

But yeah, it's the best price I could find and is good quality black bumpers so I can't complain. Just hope it dematerialises soon so I can get out the door :/
Stephen

the_temporal_mechanic

WOW!  If you decide to do a few litters of K-9s I guess you will have plenty. :)  How did a mistake like that happen?

cyberstephen

search me, dude. I reckon there must have been some kind of confusion in my order basket when I specified 1 UNIT (i.e. one length of 2 metres of pipe lagging as advertised) and they assumed I meant one whole batch.

Can't blame them really... most of their clients must be businesses and not individual blokes on the street like me :)

Good job they didn't charge me for the whole lot!!!
Stephen

DoctorWho8

You can make a good buck but selling the surplus if they let you keep it.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

cyberstephen

I guess so, but would only charge for the postage if anyone wanted some. I only paid £6.37 (the price for one bit) but I'd gladly just give it to whoever needed it rather than make money from them.  :-\

The guy's on holiday at the minute and back Tuesday, so we shall see if I'm still stuck with them after next week. I'm not sure whether I think they'll send for them to be collected or just let it go...
Stephen

Rox

I would definitely have some for my little canine companion if you get stuck with them.   :)
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

galafray

any news yet from the manager about the excess foam?

cyberstephen

Nov 12, 2010, 12:07 pm #24 Last Edit: Nov 18, 2010, 12:40 pm by cyberstephen
Just a wee update. Hole for tail has now been cut and edging added to screen using the aluminium wire I also made the ears and tail-ring from. I attached the screen edging with some epoxy resin. The housings for the ears have been added (I couldn't find the uniball needle-point pens but a couple of cheap shop's own brand biros worked just as well).

The biggest change has to be the update I've made to the 'border-strip' around the panel with K.9's logo. Obviously mine is a non-practical model which means that this panel won't actually open, but I've built up this area going down into the legs so it's a lot more in keeping with the original K.9. When I started this build in 2000, I wasn't sure of the exact look and was working from photos which weren't very clear; hence the misinterpretation on my part of the correct look of this edging strip.

The nose-laser ('Rull' door handle from IKEA) is also attached; sitting inside a housing made from styrene sheet and once again attached inside the head with Araldite.

The nose panel was made from just a thin sheet of styrene and the curved corner section from a plastic yoghurt pot stapled to it.

I've used Polyfilla everywhere to smooth out any imperfections and masked off areas to be protected.

I've also ditched those clumsy big grey bumpers in favour of slimmer black ones. I'll add these once I've painted K.9- probably with no more nails adhesive as it comes in a tube with a nozzle so will be easier to work with than the Araldite for this job.

Next I'll be priming and painting him.

Stephen

the_temporal_mechanic

Dude,
This is looking great!  Such a good job so far.  Can't wait for that gray paint moment! :)  What are you plans for the Eye panel?

cyberstephen

Cheers Ben!

I can't wait to do that bit either- only then in my mind will it start to look like a proper K-9.  And the new black bumpers are totally mint!! ;D

The eye panel's going to be two supports built in to either side of the inside of the head, supporting either some red acetate or transparent red perspex. I've already got the eye bars cut to size (a company based in Devon, U.K. called C & L clockparts) but I think there's a few guys on eBay who run a cutting acrylic to size company who'll do it a lot cheaper so thinking of getting all plastics from them).

Will send you a proper reply by private messaging.

Catch ye Versace

S

Stephen

cyberstephen

Quote from: galafray on Nov 11, 2010, 06:31 pm
any news yet from the manager about the excess foam?

not yet; I presume the guy's back from holiday now as Tuesday has come and gone, but I don't want to do anything with them just yet in case he does want them back and then little old me would have to stump up the going rate for the whole lot.
Stephen

cyberstephen

Nov 18, 2010, 01:25 pm #28 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2010, 04:12 pm by cyberstephen
I've just spray-primed K.9 ready for painting. He looks like a ghost!  :o

There is still some level of unevenness in the surface; it was pretty impossible to check that it was completely smooth by touch alone and the uniformity in tone of the primer has therefore highlighted these irregularities. That said, it's still managed to hide a multitude of sins, so I'm pleased enough with the result.

DSCF1780.JPG
Stephen

Scarfwearer

I should think that when he's a dark colour it will not be noticeable - particularly as the decoration will draw the eye. It's usually this way with props. :)

It's good to see the progress!

Crispin