Apr 19, 2024, 06:48 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

11th Doctor Costume

Started by gallifreyboy1990, Oct 09, 2010, 05:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gallifreyboy1990

Oct 09, 2010, 05:15 pm Last Edit: Jan 01, 2011, 10:54 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi, new to this site but during the summer, when I wasn't at university, I decided to start putting together an 11th Doctor costume for Halloween.  Yes, I know that even now it's still a bit of time away, but I thought it might take a lot longer to actually put the thing together.  As a result, I know have a completed 11th Doctor costume.  Unfortunately, I didn't document it enough when putting it together, and the vast majority of the stuff is from eBay and things that I've cobbled together myself.  By pure chance, there's also a Sci-Fi/Horror convention in Carlisle, UK tomorrow, so I've got a chance to try it out before Halloween and have time to make changes.  I have a few photos of it, I'm just unsure where I can upload them so that I can link the pictures so you can see it.

Unfortunately, the shirt is the hardest part of the costume to come by, mainly because it matches a designer shirt from the Paul Smith Summer 2009 collection, and seeing as it is now a year later and Doctor Who has aired, with the Paul Smith shirt, no-one has them, apart form the lucky people that managed to get one.  They come on eBay occasionally, but they tend to go for a lot more money than I actually have, let alone be willing to pay for a shirt!  So, for now, I have gone for a "sod it, it's close enough" approach with the shirt.  I've taken the same route with the boots.  They aren't the All Saints boots that Matt Smith wears, but a rather convincing Topman replacement - still set me back £65 though!  I'll put more information up when I've managed to upload photos to the internet and then linked to them.  Including a full break down of costs.

UPDATE:
Attended my first convention...ever....in my life....dressed as the 11th Doctor.  Got some head turns, interviewed by some Journalism students and even a few photos with people (mainly kids, but some adults too!)

15-0628198439T.jpg

15-0628173291T.jpg

15-0628206247T.jpg

15-0628236162T.jpg

I know the glasses aren't part of the costume, but I sort of need them to see.  Unfortunately, I didn't think of removing them for these photos, but I did for the photos taken for other people!  I think this shirt looks similar to the one that Smith is due to wear in The Sarah Jane Adventures.  Will post some more detailed pictures when I've uploaded them to the other website (and found them on my computer)

Kingpin

For image hosting, I recommend Image Shack.

You were wise to get the costume pretty much together this far in advance of Halloween, some people who are more casual in their costuming (often only doing the costume for one-time-only for that year's Halloween) usually end up leaving things too late to get a reasonable result.  Thankfully as it turns out, you're well prepared already.  Have fun at the event and get plenty of photos, I'm sure there'll be plenty of interested people who want to see the costume as it stands. :)

acquiesce

just as a small aside Paul Smith has just reissued the 11th doc shirts due to popular demand an with all the as seen on screen modifications already done still not cheap tho at £119 ::)
I didn't invent the hypothetical situation, but let's just suppose for a second that I did........

galacticprobe

Oct 11, 2010, 06:04 am #3 Last Edit: Oct 11, 2010, 06:07 am by galacticprobe
There is someone named Steve Ricks who makes 11th Doctor shirts to your measurements. (He also makes 10th Doctor coats.) His work is indistinguishable from the Paul Smith shirts as far as the waves pattern goes, and he makes them "as seen on screen." Although he doesn't come cheap, I believe with the current currency conversion rates (at least for someone like me in the US) his shirts are less expensive than the "extortionately increased" price of this re-released Paul Smith shirt. (Note: that's a quote from a costuming forum, not mine.) I also believe he's in the UK so shipping would be far less than it is to have one shipped over here.

Rather than post costs and contact info here, PM me if you'd like more info.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

gallifreyboy1990

I was watching the doctor who confidential that accompanied the Christmas special, and i noticed the design of shirt that Matt was wearing on board the tardis set whilst getting interviewed.  it doesn't quite look like mine, but it is stupidly similar (i think) - a nice bit of foreshadowing i reckon!!  I'm still putting together tiny details on the costume.  I realised a few weeks ago that the patches were missing and that my bow tie was a little on the large side!!

I've since worn the costume on two more occasions - once for hallowe'en, and another for a friends birthday party.  I was toying with the idea of going in to uni wearing it on Doctor Who day...but thought that was going a little too far....still, maybe for 50th anniversary!

galacticprobe

Jan 02, 2011, 03:09 am #5 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2011, 05:54 pm by Scarfwearer
Wearing a "Who" outfit for something is never going too far. (Well, maybe if you wear the Sixth Doctor outfit, and it's not Halloween one may consider it a bit too far.) I've worn my First Doctor outfit to Symphony concerts and other events when a tux would be appropriate and gotten compliments on it, mostly the jacket. I've worn my Eleventh Doctor outfit to semi formal functions, again getting compliments on the jacket (real Harris tweed - ebay for 28 USD). And I wear my Ninth Doctor outfit on an almost daily basis (not every day, but at least a few days a week; I have several pairs of black trousers, and I do change jumpers: still working on making that green jumper look, though... haven't quite figured out how that seam down the front and its small collar works).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

greatwazoo42

I've dressed at the 8th Doctor for Ren Faires and for Steampunk conventions and been recognized every time.  Time and a Place for everything you know.   ;)

ten

Jan 15, 2011, 08:04 am #7 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2011, 05:55 pm by Scarfwearer
Great costume, shame you didn't loose the specs for the pictures.

Or better yet, why not go with a tenth doctor costume, so you can keep the specs as part of the costume?

gallifreyboy1990

I was sat in uni today and kept having "geeky" comments made about me by my lecturer (I became slightly offended when he mentioned twish*te) so decided that next lecture (next week) I'm going to full on geek it and wear my 11th doctor costume - need to make some minor modifications to it though (just ordered some elbow patches, and i have a new bow tie - it's much more screen accurate)  not managed to get a new shirt yet though, but seeing as my current shirt looks a lot like the one that's going to be used in an episode of the new series, I'm not too bothered about changing it.  The fez WILL be going in with me though, because they're cool!

gallifreyboy1990

have updated the costume a bit more.  I now have a both a burgundy and a blue bow tie (along with thicker braces).  I've also managed to track down a Harris tweed jacket, which looked similar online in photographs to the one that Matt Smith wears, but now that I have it, I'm a little unsure of it, but it remains to be seen.  I'm currently working on the shirt, I've tracked down the material on Spoonflower (for both burgundy and blue) but I'm unsure on how much I'll need to make it (any tips?  I'm usually a size large)  I've approached someone on my university course to make a shirt for me, as she is apparently good at them.

I have worn my costume into uni, and it's now become a Tuesday tradition for my Music Video module.  I've worn burgundy and now I've worn blue, this week will be burgundy with fez!