Apr 19, 2024, 07:07 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Brachacki TARDIS (Altered) (1966)

Started by DoctorWho8, Feb 28, 2009, 06:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorWho8

Feb 28, 2009, 06:55 am Last Edit: Aug 17, 2010, 08:37 pm by Scarfwearer
Just to note that the box was altered after the location shoots were done in The War Machines.  The shot shown is pre-alterations.  Post-alterations had the box repainted blue along with the window frames and trim around the door sign.
Bill Rudloff

EDIT: Image fixed :) - Thanks Bill

peted

May 09, 2009, 09:57 am #1 Last Edit: Oct 22, 2012, 09:17 pm by Scarfwearer
OK. Seeing as no-one has added anything here, I will, even tho many of you have these pics already.
I'll put a few in that I think I very useful reference, and I'll add a little note to say why.

[attach width=693 height=575]132[/attach]

This photo is from the episode of Blue Peter that had to be broadcast from the Doctor Who set, due to a scene shifters strike, if I recall. It's a pretty useful shot for showing exactly what kind of butchery had taken place on the roof and for getting a good look at that tupperware lamp, which as you can see was not particularly well secured. I screen cap'd it from the DVD that features it as an extra.

[attach width=700 height=628]134[/attach]
This is, as far as we know, probably the last photo of the Brachaki box before it was scrapped. What is interesting about this picture (apart from Bob Holmes looking like an ice cream seller) is the prescence of the Voc robot. This dates the pic as 1977, but the box was dropped from usage in 1975/6 after Seeds of Doom. So while the Newbery box was in use, the old prop was still in storage for some time.

[attach width=269 height=372]136[/attach]
I have much better scan of this pic, from a 10x8 print, but I couldn't lay hands on it right now. I'll swap it if I find it - this is from the ebay auction of the print. It is very useful for looking at the locks - you can see that the yale lock is still there painted over, with the large slot for the 'shovel' key above it. This actually migrated on to the Newbery, for some bizarre reason... you can see it in some pics. Hope these were useful.

markofrani

May 21, 2009, 10:54 pm #2 Last Edit: Dec 07, 2009, 04:23 pm by tardisbuilders
Here's an interesting pic from Planet Of The Spiders. Shows the back doors of the prop complete with broken window frame. 
[attach width=800 height=606]138[/attach]
I think it was during this story that the lamp housing was lost as well...
[attach width=799 height=603]140[/attach]
[attach width=799 height=598]142[/attach]
Here's a nice front view showing the state of the prop at this point...
[attach width=800 height=600]144[/attach]
And finally a nice close-up showing the textured surface...
[attach width=800 height=600]146[/attach]

peted

May 22, 2009, 08:48 pm #3 Last Edit: Dec 11, 2009, 07:57 pm by scarfwearer
Great caps! The roof really didn't really sit right at all then and that lamp is shocking. Note the shadow of the studio boom in the 3rd pic down :D

Rassilons Rod

May 23, 2009, 06:29 am #4 Last Edit: Dec 11, 2009, 07:58 pm by scarfwearer
Here are some grabs from The War Machines... There are suprisingly few shots of the newly refubished box as far as I can tell...

[attach width=160 height=120]246[/attach] [attach width=160 height=120]248[/attach]

The 2nd image is a composite (2 nearish frames with Polly). Notice how the doors don't seem to hang at the same height...

Seeing as the only shots of the TARDIS itself are so close to it, I think they must have done this in the studio. Though there are one or 2 with some shots of trees next to it. I wonder if that could be a photo blow up.

[attach width=160 height=120]250[/attach] [attach width=160 height=120]252[/attach]

Interesting how you can still see the wood grain on the front right pillar...
[attach width=160 height=120]254[/attach]

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

markofrani

Sep 22, 2009, 11:33 pm #5 Last Edit: Dec 11, 2009, 07:58 pm by scarfwearer
Interesting pic from The War Games. This shows that at some point earlier, the quarter round detailing has been lost/removed between the front left and left side corner posts. The left wall post now simply butts up to the front post.
[attach width=799 height=599]256[/attach]

See also, Carnival Of Monsters, Seeds Of Death & Spearhead From Space...
[attach width=729 height=800]258[/attach]

Have all the other corners retained the quarter round detail detail?

purpleblancmange

Sep 23, 2009, 03:31 pm #6 Last Edit: Dec 11, 2009, 07:59 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: sidrat board=history1 thread=41 post=3013 time=1253662436Have all the other corners retained the quarter round detail detail?

Yeah they did, though interestingly, after the prop was retired from the show, someone actually put the missing quadrant back on!  Made a change as people were taking easily removable sections off as little souvenirs back in those "good old days" at the BBC.

By the way, does anyone have a hi-res image of Tom Baker in his season 12 outfit, stood in front of this box that I could have if you'd be so kind?  It's a black and white image taken I think at the Disney Time recording?  This image used to crop up on eBay from time to time and I had a digital copy of it, but since my hard-drive failure last Christmas, I no-longer have it.  It was always a favourite shot of mine.

If anyone could help me out, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers all.

EDIT:  Just noticed, the image I'm talking about is in Pete D's first post in this thread.

DoctorWho8

Sep 23, 2009, 04:26 pm #7 Last Edit: Dec 11, 2009, 08:00 pm by scarfwearer
I'm wondering if they just put the posts on the wrong side, hence the missing details on the front.
Bill Rudloff

markofrani

Nice picture of the Tardis from the first Troughton story 'Power Of The Daleks'
This pic shows that the clover style door restraints were on the prop far earlier than recorded in The Tardis Library.

powertardis001.jpg

galacticprobe

If those clover stops are already there in Patrick Troughton's first story, then maybe came in even earlier than imagined.

Does anyone have a good image of the TARDIS from William Hartnell's final story, "The Tenth Planet"?

Dino
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DoctorWho8

It's hard to tell since there is snow blowing around, but I don't recall seeing them above the doors.  Also notice the lamp has a hole in it in Power.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Rassilons Rod

Blimey, so the lamp was either replaced or after this it was always (?) shown rotated to not see it...
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Apr 09, 2010, 05:16 pm #12 Last Edit: Apr 09, 2010, 05:20 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: markofrani on May 21, 2009, 10:54 pm

[attach width=799 height=598]142[/attach]

Is it just me, or does that corner post (what little of it we can see) look hollow and with an open top? It looks very similar to some of the early overhead shots of the 2005 TARDIS. Isn't it amazing how details like this just fall into place? I could be wrong, but I'm sure the NST builders didn't think to build hollow, open-top corner posts in homage to the altered Brachacki box just to see if any of the fans noticed. (Or did they? <said with an eyebrow raised>)

Dino
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

mechanoid

Apr 13, 2010, 12:26 am #13 Last Edit: Apr 13, 2010, 12:28 am by mechanoid
I see what you mean, but could just be lack of dust? i.e. the roof was seated differently up to this shot?
What is that stain, shadow reflection thingy in the middle of the sign box and the roof etc?

Fardels Bear

Quote from: markofrani on Apr 06, 2010, 07:59 am
Nice picture of the Tardis from the first Troughton story 'Power Of The Daleks'
This pic shows that the clover style door restraints were on the prop far earlier than recorded in The Tardis Library.

powertardis001.jpg

Is it me or are those door restraints the old style brass picture hooks that you used hang over picture rails as in this:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.diyframing.com/user/images/shop/thumbnail/Pictuerhanger100%255B1%255D.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.diyframing.com/store_viewCategory.cfm%3FCategoryID%3D26&usg=__rq5qajASzQIjgNZ3iUN80DQ8rI4=&h=106&w=150&sz=3&hl=en&start=5&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=8Gy-oyQbiFrjjM:&tbnh=68&tbnw=96&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpicture%2Bhooks%2Bfor%2Bpicture%2Brails%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1

"Does he still have that rubbish beard?"