Apr 18, 2024, 09:24 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Mind Robber - TARDIS Interior and Console

Started by the doctor who2, Sep 27, 2010, 04:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

the doctor who2

Sep 27, 2010, 04:53 pm Last Edit: Sep 27, 2010, 04:55 pm by the doctor who2
I was having a flick through the extras on my The Mind Robber DVD and it contained a lot of TARDIS Interior shoots in the photo gallery and so decided to share that with everyone.  :)

10.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

Whats quite noticeable about this Interior is that it is nearly all photographic blow-up walls with the only real wall being the door section, but for this episode they needed a lot of space for other sets so cut it off the TARDIS set.

25.jpg

I like here how they tried to match up the 2 blow up walls on the corner but it is still noticeable.

11.jpg

12.jpg

22.jpg

Here we get to see the door way into which the Power Room is situated and below is the only view of the said Power Room,

21.jpg

23.jpg

Heres the main console with the Emergency Unit attached, which removed the TARDIS from space and time. And lastly the TARDIS Console when the TARDIS exploded. The real prop was used here, and then a scaled down version with Jamie and Zoe figures.

29.jpg

28.jpg
"There's no point being GROWN UP if you can't be CHILDISH sometimes!"

The Fourth Doctor - Robot, S12 E01

Rassilons Rod

Notice the already-disintigrating radiation meter...
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

celation

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Sep 28, 2010, 05:46 am
Notice the already-disintigrating radiation meter...

Yes - very handy to see for my build. That last picture suggests a small meter fixed behind the falling front panel, which would make sense.

Cheers for posting those.

Chris.

darren79

Quote from: the doctor who2 on Sep 27, 2010, 04:53 pm
I was having a flick through the extras on my The Mind Robber DVD and it contained a lot of TARDIS Interior shoots in the photo gallery and so decided to share that with everyone.  :)

6.jpg

This picture is often put with The Mind Robber but it would appear it's actually from part 1 of The Invasion. I thought it was just a reverse of a Mind Robber photo but looking at Troughton's hair parting and that broken roundel next to the door shows that the configuration is different from The Mind Robber.

invadrzim

Did those painted on roundels actually fool/convince people in the 60's?

deck5

Quote from: invadrzim on May 21, 2011, 03:16 pm
Did those painted on roundels actually fool/convince people in the 60's?

Bear in mind the broadcast format of the day would give you an image something like this:

mindrobber377.jpg

lespaceplie

Speaking of the photographic blow-up walls, quite some time ago a forum member wrote that the (probable) ceiling panel material the walls are a photograph of had been identified. There was never any follow-up to that post. Any idea on tracking down that material? I love those walls.

Also, dig that console model. I wonder if it still exists outside of a landfill?

galacticprobe

May 22, 2011, 01:11 am #7 Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 01:15 am by galacticprobe
That console ("The 'original' you might say?") was repaired, modified, and rebuilt so many times from the Hartnell through the early Tom Baker eras (I think the last time it was seen in its somewhat original condition was Jon Pertwee's "Inferno", and the last time we saw it modified was sometime around Tom Baker's "Pyramids of Mars".

After Season 14 and the wooden console room, a new console appeared in "The Invisible Enemy". So the console pictured above is sadly long gone. (I hope I'm wrong, and someone please tell me I am because I love that console.) The console that replaced it still existed and was in use until "The King's demons", after which it was replaced by the Five Doctors console. The Season 15 console was pulled out of storage for a cameo in "The Two Doctors", but I don't know what's happened to it after that story or if it still exists.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

darren79

From what I understand the original console actually lasted until The King's Demon except for lots and lots of rejigging and refurbishing along the way.

The Two Doctors console was those cleaned-up previous panels laid around the frame of the new Five Doctors console.

lespaceplie

I was referring to the miniature.

Quote from: galacticprobe on May 22, 2011, 01:11 am
That console ("The 'original' you might say?") was repaired, modified, and rebuilt so many times...

mechanoid

Quote from: lespaceplie on May 21, 2011, 10:04 pm
Speaking of the photographic blow-up walls, quite some time ago a forum member wrote that the (probable) ceiling panel material the walls are a photograph of had been identified. There was never any follow-up to that post. Any idea on tracking down that material? I love those walls.

Also, dig that console model. I wonder if it still exists outside of a landfill?

I seem to remember that someone said the photo wall could have been a blow up of perforated metal sheet

http://www.ninthwirenetting.com/wire-mesh-en/perforated_metal_mesh.html

the doctor who2

Quote from: mechanoid on May 23, 2011, 08:00 pm
Quote from: lespaceplie on May 21, 2011, 10:04 pm

I seem to remember that someone said the photo wall could have been a blow up of perforated metal sheet

http://www.ninthwirenetting.com/wire-mesh-en/perforated_metal_mesh.html

I remember something about that too, i'm sure its somewhere in this Photographic blow-up walls topic in the season 1-6 reference section, heres the link

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1010.0
"There's no point being GROWN UP if you can't be CHILDISH sometimes!"

The Fourth Doctor - Robot, S12 E01

mechanoid

May 24, 2011, 07:23 pm #12 Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:35 pm by mechanoid
In a post by exleo at the top of this page link below they are described as a plastic ceiling tile used in large department stores in the 60's and 70's.

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1010.15

Some pictures were promised but did not materialize. Here is a couple I found googling!

perforated-metal-mesh-6.jpg

CS3-3-PERFORATED.jpg

exleo

Yep I'm still trying to find the tile in question, I need to search through my attic as it's not been in any of the places I thought it was ???

celation

Yes - I remember reading (in The Early Years, I think) that the photo blow-up walls were from the piece of plastic that Brachacki based the wall design on originally. Would love to see the original picture. I'm sure it was printed once in a magazine or book, but haven't been able to find it.