News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2010 Tardis Interior Materialization Lever

Started by cavamatt2, Sep 12, 2010, 07:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Mar 31, 2014, 06:04 am #45 Last Edit: Mar 31, 2014, 06:14 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Theta Sigma on Mar 30, 2014, 02:30 pm
...there is one for sale on eBay right now in the US. ..."EVINRUDE AND JOHNSON OUTBOARD MOTOR CONTROL BOX FOR TWO OUTBOARD MOTORS 4 LEVER"

Four bids so far, current bid is $9.95 US; "Reserve not met" (and judging from the "Buy It Now" price on the 2-lever version, I'm guessing the reserve on this 4-lever version will be at least that, possibly higher); Shipping cost, $15.00 US; ships in the US only. (And no; I am not the seller. If I had one of these I'd keep it in my grubby little hands because I'm looking for one to use on my "Identity Crisis" console. And as usual even the 2-lever version is a bit out of my wallet's range at the moment, so that 4-lever version is out of the question.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

galacticprobe

Apr 08, 2014, 06:33 am #46 Last Edit: Apr 08, 2014, 06:48 am by galacticprobe
Just an update: the auction ended in a bidding war - 25 bids rolling in within the last few minutes. Final selling price, $132.50 USD (plus $15.00 shipping - total $147.50 USD). Too rich for my wallet at the moment.

If anyone is thinking about scratch-building one of these I managed to get some measurements that might help:

The main housing is 9 inches long, by 4 inches wide, by 4.5 inches deep. Also, here are some "straight-on" images (or as straight-on as they were) which should hopefully let people guesstimate the length of the levers, size of the knobbies, and the width of the slots:

ConsoleRedTipLevers.jpg
Overhead view (for slots and housing width)

ConsoleRedTipLevers02.jpg
Side view (for housing length and depth, and lever length)

The only other images were off-angle and really didn't show anymore than these do.

Hopefully this is helpful to everyone, especially if you can get it to measure full-size on your screens. Then you can just hold a ruler up to it and take some measurements. (Or if you've got a printer than can manage printing these as 1:1 images, then you can lay the printout flat and measure away, which sounds much easier than trying to measure off of a computer screen.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

galacticprobe

May 22, 2014, 04:52 am #47 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2016, 07:19 am by galacticprobe
Okay: as promised in my post in http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5403.msg63261#msg63261, here are more photos of this particular control to hopefully make it easier for the scratch-builder to come as close as possible with accuracy when building these for their 2010 console. (And make sure your Snuggies or nappies, or Depends, are tightly situated before viewing any farther down, just to avoid any "excitement accidents". ;) ;D)

(ALSO, remember, these are the "Fabrication" Materialise Levers, for the console to fabricate things like a new sonic screwdriver, or torches/flashlights or larger items like that which pop out of that "glove box-like" compartment below the panel one set of these controls are mounted on. There is another set of these on another panel, but their operation has never been established. The TARDIS's Main Mat/Demat Lever is that large brassy one with the double handle and the two rows of yellow lights along its top.)

That said, enjoy the photos; the measurements for the "box" housing are listed earlier in this thread. The rest of the measurements can be extrapolated from them:
FabLevers01.jpg
Nice angle showing the slots, and the little knobbies on the top and "near" side (that's the side facing the outer edge of the console.)

FabLevers02.jpg
Excellent, clean "broadside" shot - great for measuring length and height. (This is the side that faces the panel.)

FabLevers03.jpg
Another broadside from the opposite side. (This side faces the gap between the console segments.)

FabLevers04.jpg
Close-up of the "console edge" end.

FabLevers05.jpg
View of the "far end" (the end facing the central column).

FabLevers06.jpg
And here are some nice views of the inside of this thingy showing how it all fits together. (This is invaluable info when it comes to understanding how these levers move and where their pivot points are within the housing.)

FabLevers07.jpg
It looks like that screw near the bottom of the housing is the pivot point for the shorter black knobbed levers, and that there are nylon rollers and bushings in there above that to keep the movement smooth. (I'm sure some standard nylon washers could be adapted for this purpose. I'm guessing that nylon "rod" somehow clamped onto a cable, and like a shifter on a bicycle pushed and pulled a cable that ran from one of the holes in either end of the housing. Something like this could be adapted to have that rod push on a button to activate a light or sound, from either end of the movement.)

FabLevers08.jpg
Another view of the inside, this time showing the large, red-tipped lever side. This one looks like the pivot points are reversed from the black knobbed levers; the screw is at the top of the housing, and the nylon bushings are below.

FabLevers09.jpg
And finally a close-up showing how all of the other little bits fit in, and how the nylon "rods" push against some switches when the red-tipped levers are moved. (Not sure what those little black spring-loaded knobbies are for, except maybe for setting tension or perhaps limit of movement; after all, this is a boat throttle control.) This could be made to have one lever's rod push a button that releases a spring and lets a sonic screwdriver rise majestically from that hole in the middle of this panel (as seen in "The Eleventh Hour"; pre-loading of the sonic would be required ;)). The other lever's rod could push a button that activates a release mechanism for that compartment below the panel. This way when you find yourself with "Dinosaurs... on a Spaceship!" you could push the lever, pop open that compartment and have your torches readily at hand (or it could also be used if you experience a blackout while you're at the console - even not at the console; you'll still know where your torches are and can have them in hand with the push of a lever).

FabLevers10.jpg
Here's a nice close look at the set on the actual console. (That right red tip is about to come off, and in fact, during one of the Youtube vids of a fan fiddling with it during that 2012 TARDIS Tour Convention, he actually accidentally pulls it off and quickly puts it back on again. (So like the Classic consoles, even the newest high-tech consoles have their loose bits!)

And here is something to note:
FabLevers11.jpg
This is the set of levers on the frame next to the "Fabrication" Panel which is to their right. Note there is no label inside the rectangular area.
RedTipLevers(other)01.jpg
And this is the set of levers on the frame next to the "Diagnostics" Panel which is to their right. This set does have a label inside that rectangular area. It's a "Magpie Electricals" label. I can't make out everything on that label, but here's what I can:

MAGPIE Electricals (in the Magpie logo from "Idiot's Lantern"). The wording under "WARNING" is too small to make out. The main part of the label, from what I can see is:
TYPE V 310-A
AC or DC MAINS RECEIVER
FOR USE ON 200 250 V 50 - AC SUPPLY OR DC SUPPLY
MAXIMUM POWER CONSUMPTION 180 WATTS

And after much searching I managed to find a decent close-up of that label:
RedTipLevers(other)02.jpg
(Open it in a new tab or window and it's a little bigger.)

Hopefully someone can get the wording under the "Magpie Electricals Warning". Not sure how, though, unless they visit the DWE and get lucky with a good camera shot!

Anyway, I really hope these detailed images come in handy for everyone. (And I'm wondering if these particular levers have enough posts and detailed photos to warrant their own thread? Or perhaps relocate their posts to the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2293.0 thread?)

Dino.

DoctorWho8

Most excellent work, Dino!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

May 22, 2014, 08:30 pm #49 Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:31 pm by galacticprobe
Thanks, Bill! Coming from you? That is truly an honor!

Dino.

potter2000p

Great! Thanks Dino! this should be great for my console build!
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't always spoil the good things and make them unimportant."

The 11th Doctor

The14thDr

Does anyone know the name of the font on the Magpie Electricals sticker on the side of the red and black levers? I've been working on making a graphic for the sticker but I haven't a clue what the font is.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Mar 18, 2016, 05:07 am #52 Last Edit: Mar 18, 2016, 05:08 am by galacticprobe
I've been playing with some of the fonts I've got on my computers (and I've got a frackload!). The closest ones that seem to match that used on this label are either Swiss 721 SWA, or Swiss 721 Narrow SWA), possibly bold, and Arial, maybe Arial Narrow, again possibly bold.

Of the two variations, the one that looks closest to my stanky old wizzard eyes is Arial Narrow, bold. And then there is still that "fine print" under the Magpie logo where it says "WARNING"; that text is so small I haven't been able to make out what it says. But for the main part of the label, I would go with Arial Narrow, Bold; it's so close to being spot on I'd call it a match.

Dino.

The14thDr

Thank you for identifying that font, Dino. ;D I tried to use one of those online font identifiers, but the text on the sticker was at an angle so I couldn't find a match (even after 20 minutes of looking).
I wasn't sure what to put on the warning label, so I just made it up and put something TARDISey on there instead. :P ;)
warning_text.jpg

And here's the finished sticker. It's by no means perfect (the alignment of some of the words in relation to the rest of the text is a bit off, so I may revisit this in the future), but I hope someone finds it useful.
materialisation_lever_sticker.jpg

Rassilons Rod

If you post your two original files here, I can combine them without the speckles for you if you like.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Mar 19, 2016, 05:47 am #55 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2016, 06:05 am by galacticprobe
Brilliant wording for that "Warning" part of the label, 14th, and yes it is perfectly TARDISy. The only thing that might make give it a more humorous note - which it already has - is if you had it say:

"Any malfunctions caused to a TARDIS by illegal or unauthorized modifications will violate all warranties and will not be repaired by Gallifreyan engineers..." Or you could change "Gallifreyan engineers" to "any TARDIS repair facility".

But the way your mind just came up with what you've got is brilliant! (I'm definitely using this one! Quite possibly in the car at the moment, but I'm definitely using it! ;D ;D ;D)

Dino.

The14thDr

Mar 19, 2016, 11:18 am #56 Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:51 pm by The14thDr
Thanks for the idea, Dino. I'll change the wording and upload a new graphic soon (that way people can choose which version they want to use).

galacticprobe

Mar 20, 2016, 03:47 am #57 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2016, 04:06 am by galacticprobe
Sounds like a fun plan, 14th! And there are two sets of these red-tipped levers on this console (I believe on opposite sides of the ribs). One set is actually IDed in the BBC props instructions (posted earlier in this topic) as the "Materialise/Dematerialise Fabrication" levers, used most likely to fabricate anything the Doctor might need (like a new sonic screwdriver). That's the set on the rib with the clock on it, and the housing has no label on it so <pardon the pun> who knows what they're for? So your altered-worded label would be good for that one.

The other set of these levers isn't labeled as to their function, however that's the set that has the label on it, so your current label could be used on that one. It all depends on how accurate one wants to be when building this console replica (no label on one set of levers), or how whimsical (the two different label versions you're making, one on each set of levers). The possibilities are limitless.

(I'll take one of each; the floor console in the car does have two sides to it! ;D)

Dino.

The14thDr

May 13, 2016, 04:55 pm #58 Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:56 pm by The14thDr
So, this post is WAY overdue, but as they say, better late than never. ;D
I made an updated version of the fabrication lever sticker. This graphic uses the adapted wording that Dino suggested above, so now everyone has a choice of stickers to choose from.
TARDIS_fabrication_leverV2.png

galacticprobe

May 14, 2016, 06:46 am #59 Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 06:46 am by galacticprobe
Hey, 14th, do you have the larger version of this one? I tried opening it in a new window, but unlike the first version you posted, this one only opens a tiny bit larger: the first one you posted opens in a new window at 2409 × 672 pixels; your latest version opens in a new window at only 1205 × 336 pixels, which makes it difficult to read the alternate wording.

The label still looks great, though!

Dino.