Apr 19, 2024, 10:50 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2010 Tardis Interior Materialization Lever

Started by cavamatt2, Sep 12, 2010, 07:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

robhowdle

Hmm, I understand what you are saying and of course I have wrote down that idea as my console is going to be full of gadgets and its really going to show the electronical side to it a bit more than Living Side of it so for example less Coral and more wiring if that makes sense but I think I might be myself a wafer switch as I like a wrench sound and I am more than happy to do extra wiring, also if anybody needs help electronic wise I am happy to help and advise anybody :)

I really do value everyones opinion though!
You make the whole of time and space your back yard and what do you have, a back yard... I can't see it anymore but you can, and when you see it I see it - Matt Smith, 11th Doctor

The14thDr

Quote from: hb88banzai on Sep 20, 2010, 10:26 pm
Hmmmm - an Italian throttle control at that.

TARDIS Throttle Side Text.JPG

Avanti = Forward

Indietro = Back

That's the Space/Time Throttle. It's supposed to be powered up gradually before take-off; the Doctor just whacks it straight into full.
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Jan 09, 2014, 05:52 pm #32 Last Edit: Jan 09, 2014, 05:53 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: classicwho101 on Jan 09, 2014, 04:29 pm
That's the Space/Time Throttle. It's supposed to be powered up gradually before take-off; the Doctor just whacks it straight into full.

Actually, the Doctor and even River Song always used this as the Dematerialisation/Materialisation Lever, and both used in in the same way. They'd pull it back (towards them) for dematerialisation, and then push it forward (away from them) to materialise once the TARDIS got to where she "needed to go".

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Ok thanks. I got that from the TARDIS Adventure Game. They got the controls mixed up a bit.
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Greenlord

these twin levers are actually the time/space throttle. the actual dematerialize/dematerialize levers are the double red lever on the fabrication panel. this image (thank you Dino) shows this. http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;k=598;topic=5118.0;attach=79469;image the bottom middle panel is the fabrication panel, and the line pointing to the double red levers says "dematerialize/dematerialize function" i believe these levers activate the remat/demat engines, like putting a car into gear, and then the throttle (like a cars accelerator ) gives the ship thrust. of course, this is putting it simply.

galacticprobe

Jan 10, 2014, 05:06 am #35 Last Edit: Jan 10, 2014, 05:37 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: greenlord on Jan 09, 2014, 08:51 pm
these twin levers are actually the time/space throttle. the actual dematerialize/dematerialize levers are the double red lever on the fabrication panel. this image (thank you Dino) shows this. http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;k=598;topic=5118.0;attach=79469;image the bottom middle panel is the fabrication panel, and the line pointing to the double red levers says "dematerialize/dematerialize function" i believe these levers activate the remat/demat engines...

There was some serious discussion over this shortly after this console came out. (I'll see if I can find the link to that one and reference it.) That's when we all watched closely and realized that the big lever with the yellow lights on it (whose twin handles were connected at some point) was the actually the Demat Lever. The twin red-tipped levers you're referring to on the Fabrication Panel, if you look closely (and this is clearer in the Handbook or the Visual Dictionary than it is in the above photo) their label is "Materialize/Dematerialize Fabrication", indicating that they're used with the Fabrication Panel to work whatever Timelord magic is needed to fabricate and materialize an object or tool (such as the 11th Doctor's new sonic screwdriver), and possibly dematerialize (i.e. breakdown) items that are of no longer use to be recycled. (It's a shame they never went into more detail with that in the series, other than to produce the sonic, and the torches/flashlights - which came out of the drop-down 'flap' under that panel - the "Gang" used in "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship".)

But don't feel bad; I initially made the same mistake about those same controls as you did, and you'll see that in the original discussion once I find the link (unless someone gets to it before me).

Dino.

EDIT (just a few minutes ago): Okay... I'm a bit of an idiot here, which doesn't bother me all that much; as the 5th Doctor said in "Kinda":

Panna: "What's he babbling about? No male can open the Box of Jhana without being driven out of his mind. It is well known. Unless. Is he an idiot?"
Karuna: "Are you an idiot?"
The Doctor: "Well, I suppose I must be. I have been called one many..."

That thread I've been looking for is right bloody here! :P Start on Page 1 to follow the discussion and you'll see that we're starting to rehash the Demat Lever issue!
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Greenlord

ah, now that makes a lot of sense. does this mean that no such lever (save the main de/rematerialize lever on the helm) exist? are the throttle and de/rematerialize levers not seperate, but one controlling both functions?

galacticprobe

Jan 12, 2014, 05:31 am #37 Last Edit: Jan 14, 2014, 05:42 am by galacticprobe
That's a tough one to call as it's never specified on any of the official published drawings/photos (like those posted), or shown in detail in the Series. And as we've seen, the "lever" started out as a two-handle unit, then its handles were joined together by a 'clamp' of sorts, and then at other times it seemed to have that joining clamp removed so the handles operated separately again.

And before we knew it, the 2013 console and TARDIS interior set was thrust upon us and away went all opportunities of further episodes with the 2010 console, and chances to see this - and other controls - in more detailed operation. (Regarding the 2010 console, to quote CDR Riker near the end of "ST: Generations" when he refers to the crashed remains of Enterprise-D: "She went before her time." And when you look at all of the New Series consoles as compared to the length of time the Classic Series consoles were in service (Season 14's wooden console not withstanding), the same could be said of all New Series consoles.)

That said, if I was to hazard a guess based on what controls are labeled and how they behaved and were used on the 2010 console:

• that big yellow-lights Demat Lever just demats and remats the TARDIS;

• the control on the frame section just to its right with the two levers and black knobbies on it move the TARDIS forward or backward in Time and Space (considering there are two levers, one lever for each function);

• The Time/Space Forward/Back control does have "ratched" positions; it's possible that depending on how far you push the levers in either direction is how fast the TARDIS moves through that part of the function; so this control could be the actual "speed throttle" for the TARDIS (and if you need extra thrust to go faster or push harder, you can properly program the "Wibbly Lever" to jettison certain TARDIS rooms to give you some Welly, as seen done in "The Doctor's Wife").

(Trivia Note, especially for members outside the UK: According to Wiktionary; "It's a fine bit of British English slang, usually in the form give it some welly. This instruction, often shouted to a person as encouragement or criticism, asks for more effort to be put into whatever he or she is doing.
It dates from the 1970s. The last word in the phrase is a common British abbreviation for the equally British term wellington boots ("It's wet in the garden -- best wear your wellies"), these being waterproof rubber boots named after the First Duke of Wellington. The slang sense seems to have come about through mental links with various senses of boot or foot -- one of the earliest appearances was in motor racing, in which the reference was putting the foot more firmly on the accelerator; another was in football
(Soccer in the US), for a powerful kick.")

As to which side of that black-knobby control is for Time and which is for Space? Anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Dino.

Greenlord

excellent, very helpful, makes more sense to have a throttle (for time and space) separate for the demat lever. i quite new to investigating TARDIS controls thoroughly, (having done it on my own a couple of times before, hence  our coinciding theory on the helmic regulator, and my other on the 2010 demat lever) but only practice makes perfect. :)

galacticprobe

Jan 14, 2014, 05:50 am #39 Last Edit: Jan 14, 2014, 05:50 am by galacticprobe
Glad to be of help in trying to make sense of what Jackson Lake referred to as "Complete, utter nonsense" (to which the 10th Doctor replied "Well, that's one way of putting it").

And for the record, even us Old Timers from the Classic Series era are still "practicing" when it comes to ID'ing TARDIS console controls. (And as soon as we've just about got things ID'd and operations figured out, they change it all up on us and we have to start all over again!)

I know that TARDIS Architectural Reconfiguration System; she loves to change things!

Dino.

Greenlord

ok, now this is just to confuse. the the double red levers on the fabrication panel can be used to start the TARDIS. i found this whilst watching 'Lets Kill Hitler' the other day. after begging Amelia Pond (the voice interface) to help him, he pushes up the mat/demat fabrication levers.
he then slams the levers back down again, thus starting the TARDIS.

i will try and get hold of a couple of pictures.

i would guess from this there's more than one way to start a TARDIS. i think it possible that the 'main mat/demat lever(s)' were activated at this point. well, they say 'there's more than one way to skin a cat' or for people who like cats, 'there's more than one way to peel a carrot.'  :)

The Greenlord

galacticprobe

Jan 16, 2014, 05:00 am #41 Last Edit: Jan 16, 2014, 05:00 am by galacticprobe
I've said it before: I get confused enough on my own; I don't need any outside help.

I'm backing out of this one. Someone else can have a turn now.

Dino.

potter2000p

So, has anybody been able to correctly identify what brand/model this lever is? I really hope someone has, as I am trying to get the most authentic parts for my 11th doctor's console.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't always spoil the good things and make them unimportant."

The 11th Doctor

potter2000p

Quote from: galacticprobe on Sep 13, 2010, 09:05 pm

Almost centered in this photo, courtesy of the link posted under "2010 Console Pics" (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50118005@N02/). The photo is on Page 3 of the site and titled "TARDIS Console 5". ("TARDIS Console 6" shows a close-up of the clock above them.)
Mat-DematLevers01.jpg

Not sure what those levers with the lights are for; it's not mentioned in the "Handbook" and at least I haven't been able to determine what they're for, except maybe for increasing power levels?

Dino.

Not exactly sure what they are for, but I did find one that is similar:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHNSON-SHIP-MASTER-EVINRUDE-OMC-2-LEVER-OUTBOARD-CONTROL-BOX-W-10-11-CABLES-/121296677707?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item1c3dd86b4b&vxp=mtr
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't always spoil the good things and make them unimportant."

The 11th Doctor

Theta Sigma

Mar 30, 2014, 02:30 pm #44 Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:40 pm by Theta Sigma
I do believe this may be the perfect match.  It looks like a Johnson Ship-Master 4 lever control box.  This doesn't really help with a model number, but these things are rare and are nearly as old as Doctor Who is.  Finding one will be a challenge.

$_12.jpg$_13.jpg$_14.jpg$_15.jpg

Having said that, there is one for sale on eBay right now in the US.  Do an eBay search for "EVINRUDE AND JOHNSON OUTBOARD MOTOR CONTROL BOX FOR TWO OUTBOARD MOTORS 4 LEVER"
"I just put 1.795372 & 2.204628 together." - 4th Doctor