New, New TardisBuilders!

Console panel descriptions?

Started by 12thdoctor, Sep 07, 2010, 11:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Sep 09, 2010, 12:57 am #15 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2010, 12:07 pm by Scarfwearer
Quote from: exleo on Sep 08, 2010, 04:47 pm

OOOOOH well spotted Dino ;D

Thanks! I may be insane, but it's nice to know that I wasn't seeing things.

(Two points for me!)
Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

geminitimelord

Quote from: galacticprobe on Sep 08, 2010, 06:30 am

(One that has me curious... just what in the blazes does the Quantum Foam Manipulator do? I mean, it obviously manipulates "quantum foam", but what the heck is quantum foam?!)

Dino.

Quantum Foam makes me roam :)

lance344

If you play the latest Doctor Who adventure game at the end it lets you examine the console and tells you what each part does.
"Bow ties are cool."

exleo

Quote from: geminitimelord on Sep 09, 2010, 04:36 am
Quote from: galacticprobe on Sep 08, 2010, 06:30 am

(One that has me curious... just what in the blazes does the Quantum Foam Manipulator do? I mean, it obviously manipulates "quantum foam", but what the heck is quantum foam?!)

Dino.

Quantum Foam makes me roam :)

Fancy a Castellan and a Chancellor not knowing this...as usual it is down to us lower grunts to actually understand things ;)

A moon, atmosphere deprived planetoid, or meteor can all spew dust and rock ointo the void of space! A gas giant or sun, or any planetoid with an atmosphere can leak gasses out into the void and creat gas nebulas etc...plays havoc with directional and tactical sensors and are very difficult to pass through and best avoided!
Comets and liquid heavy planetoids, disperse fluid into space, the lack of gravity mixed with the currents of time winds etc whip these fluid particles into a light frothy foam which can clog up engine intakes on regular ships and also adhere themselves to the hulls of regular space craft and also Time capsules as they pass through regular space rather than the vortex. this can build up and cause extraneous weight distribution problems causing a time capsule to lose its spacial stability and abilty to hold a set course through regular space!
SO, a quantum Foam Manipulator is requiered to break down this foam and remove it from the outer hull of a spacial vehicle  allowing it free and safe travel through the depths of regular space!!
See that was easy!!

I beleive they are also used on terresrial transport cumbustion driven vehicles on the planet Earth where they are commonly known as a windscreen wiper!!! ;D

slugworth118

I found a really brilliant site that describes in excruciating detail what each control does on each panel. Granted, this probably isn't in any way accurate to the show...but it all looks fantastic and I think it will give you some great inspiration. I think it's absolutely PERFECT for your needs.

go to http://www.interocitor-media.com/tardis/tardis2002/ and then scroll down to the section titled "Plans". It should have labeled pictures of all 6 panels on the console.

Hope that helps!

Scarfwearer

Quote from: exleo on Sep 09, 2010, 06:58 pm
Comets and liquid heavy planetoids, disperse fluid into space, the lack of gravity mixed with the currents of time winds etc whip these fluid particles into a light frothy foam which can clog up engine intakes on regular ships and also adhere themselves to the hulls of regular space craft and also Time capsules as they pass through regular space rather than the vortex.

LOL! John Wheeler would turn in his grave...

Crispin

Scarfwearer

Sep 09, 2010, 07:19 pm #21 Last Edit: Sep 09, 2010, 07:23 pm by Scarfwearer
Quote from: slugworth118 on Sep 09, 2010, 07:04 pm
I found a really brilliant site that describes in excruciating detail what each control does on each panel. Granted, this probably isn't in any way accurate to the show...but it all looks fantastic and I think it will give you some great inspiration. I think it's absolutely PERFECT for your needs.

go to http://www.interocitor-media.com/tardis/tardis2002/ and then scroll down to the section titled "Plans". It should have labeled pictures of all 6 panels on the console.

Hope that helps!

These are the invention of our very own Rob49152, who also did [ref topic=2040]these lovely CG renders[/ref].

Crispin

exleo

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Sep 09, 2010, 07:15 pm
Quote from: exleo on Sep 09, 2010, 06:58 pm
Comets and liquid heavy planetoids, disperse fluid into space, the lack of gravity mixed with the currents of time winds etc whip these fluid particles into a light frothy foam which can clog up engine intakes on regular ships and also adhere themselves to the hulls of regular space craft and also Time capsules as they pass through regular space rather than the vortex.

LOL! John Wheeler would turn in his grave...

Crispin

PFFT Wikipedia quotes what they say was HIS 'Concept' of quantum foam, well the above is MY 'concept' and I bet I have a lot more interest in the TARDIS than he does so mine must be more correct....NERR!! ;) :P

chriskingbees

The windscreen/windshield wiper analogy is very interesting. Given this is the fact, could "Quantum foam" be the liquid inserted into the Screen washer bottle/quantum foam manipulator, to prevent icing? After all, it's pretty cold out there.

Yeah OK, coat.

KB

galacticprobe

Sep 10, 2010, 06:34 am #24 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2010, 12:06 pm by Scarfwearer
Oi! You know how it is once you reach upper middle management. It's all "hands off and paper pushing". (And by that time you're so old you forget what things you once knew... if you even had the chance to see yourself doing it so you could remember once you reached that point. That old wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.) And hey: I did locate that current console's Atom Accelerator on the Torchwood Hub table. So there.  :P

BTW, can I quote this explanation in a manual I'm reworking for my own personal use (i.e. coffee table conversation piece)? It's an amalgamation of speculation and other attempts at manuals that have been posted on the web over the years, many of whose web sites went back into the mid '90s and have since gone defunct; I think there is one still out there, but it hasn't been updated in years. I read through each one and many contradicted each other (and in some cases themselves), so I've been reworking things, making corrections from what I can confirm from episodes, and deal mainly with the Classic stories. But that Quantum Foam Manipulator just sounds so technobabbly brilliant that I might find a place to insert it.

Not sure when I'll get this thing done; I've been working at it for at least 10 years now! (I've got some cool pics inserted that I've found or drawn, and I think some of it was inspired by the Doctor Who Weekly article I mentioned earlier. I'm still searching my library's shelves for that issue. I know it's here somewhere. When I find it, I'll scan the cover and post it so everyone can see which one I'm talking about.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

exleo

Sep 10, 2010, 07:40 am #25 Last Edit: Sep 10, 2010, 07:43 am by exleo
Quote from: galacticprobe on Sep 10, 2010, 06:34 am

BTW, can I quote this explanation in a manual I'm reworking for my own personal use (i.e. coffee table conversation piece)? It's an amalgamation of speculation and other attempts at manuals that have been posted on the web over the years, many of whose web sites went back into the mid '90s and have since gone defunct; I think there is one still out there, but it hasn't been updated in years. I read through each one and many contradicted each other (and in some cases themselves), so I've been reworking things, making corrections from what I can confirm from episodes, and deal mainly with the Classic stories. But that Quantum Foam Manipulator just sounds so technobabbly brilliant that I might find a place to insert it.

LOL feel free to quote away, I can come up with technobabble for anything!!

And Personally my aim is to make it to Chancellary Guard, I wants a bloomin' big feather in me hat!! ;D

Plus I want to be in control of 'The Mind Probe'!!

All together now..........
;)

wayne venomous

Quote from: chriskingbees on Sep 09, 2010, 08:24 pm
The windscreen/windshield wiper analogy is very interesting. Given this is the fact, could "Quantum foam" be the liquid inserted into the Screen washer bottle/quantum foam manipulator, to prevent icing? After all, it's pretty cold out there.

Yeah OK, coat.

KB

Funnily enough, "Quantum" is the brand of oil/fluids officially sold for Volkswagen Group cars and I do believe there's a screenwash!

Wonder if it said in the TARDIS manual that Quantum Washing up liquid should not be used?

galacticprobe

Sep 11, 2010, 05:02 am #27 Last Edit: Sep 11, 2010, 05:02 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: exleo on Sep 10, 2010, 07:40 am
Plus I want to be in control of 'The Mind Probe'!!

All together now..........
;)

"NO! No, not The Mind Probe!"

galacticprobe

Sep 12, 2010, 06:09 am #28 Last Edit: Sep 12, 2010, 06:10 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: chriskingbees on Sep 09, 2010, 08:24 pm

Yeah OK, coat.

KB

I like your explanation of this. I agree that the Quantum Foam is the liquid you put into the bottle, but I would say the Quantum Foam Manipulator is the lever/button you use to activate the sprayer and wipers, thereby manipulating the foam.

Sound good?

Dino.

cavamatt2

There is a description of each panel in the newest doctor who adventure episode: Tardis