New, New TardisBuilders!

VortexVP's console ideas

Started by vortexvp, Jul 29, 2007, 08:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

vortexvp

Jul 29, 2007, 08:25 pm Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 06:02 pm by scarfwearer
the sisterhood of Karn website can be accessed via
http://www.mp003a6796.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

There is one pic in the gallery which shows the console (not a great pic but....) basically the console was built on a framework each of the six panels was glass 85 cm at the bast 25cm at the top and 60 cm deep. Each panel back painted in black with an arrangement of hexagonal panels in a silver with multicoloured "touch buttons". The silver paint allowing an amount of back lighting from within the console.

The console was used for another fan production and I will attempt to get a screen capture from this.

The rotor innards are different between the two movies one has a 12" plasma globe at the centre the other an acrylic (hour glass shaped) structure using 3 fluorescent tubes arranged around a central column.

I did also build a set of 5Drs "Style" console panels which fitted on the basic structure, though these are now in a seriously dilapidated state.

What I'm planning this time is to build another console ( this time with working rotor mechanism), the basic structure will be based on the previously used dimensions (as I have the existing glass panels - though I am intending to redesign and update). But the structure will be capable of accepting different sets of console panels and rotor interiors in order to reproduce various television and original consoles.... .... that is the plan at least...

vortexvp

Jul 29, 2007, 08:58 pm #1 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 06:02 pm by scarfwearer
Oh and...

I'm intending to have a central colum which can be changed too. the "standard" which will go wit the black back lit panels will be a floor to ceiling tube. the lower part will include static parts and a moving mechanism, the upper part will consist of either a laser in blue or green or some other "disco" light which will create some sort of vortex effect to enhance the lower moving part of the mechanism.

handofomega

Jul 30, 2007, 08:57 pm #2 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 06:03 pm by scarfwearer
Can't wait to see pictures of your build!!!

vortexvp

Aug 13, 2007, 08:53 pm #3 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 06:03 pm by scarfwearer
Hi guys been doing some calcs and need some guidance. about relative heights of console etc. Does anyone have info about the height at which the lower edge of the console panels, upper edge of console panels and height of central column at lower and raised position. I've looked at "Scarf wearers" drawings and having a few problems as I'm building to a reduced scale but need to compensate to bring console back to a "useable" height.

oh and please find attached a pic of the Ikea lamp I'm using as a starting point for my central column inner workings.http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50075352

Scarfwearer

Aug 15, 2007, 09:03 am #4 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 06:03 pm by scarfwearer
Can you be more specific about what you need? Are there dimensions missing from the plans? Or are you just concerned about scaling them? The height difference between the top and bottom of the sloping panels is on the diagram...
Did you find my console hexagon calculator spreadsheet? This can help a lot with angles and dimensions, including the height you mention.
The estimated height of the rise and fall of the column is on at least one of the plans...

Crispin

vortexvp

Aug 15, 2007, 05:52 pm #5 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 06:03 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Crispin
had another look through your plans and can't see a figure raised column height...  Have worked out a lower position height from your plans... can you point me in the right direction when you have a mo?

I've noticed from your plans that the lower edge of the control panels is 31" from floor level (78.7cm) is this a little low??? I'm not questioning the accuracy of your measurements just i'm just trying to get a feel for what is comfortable. I'm re-scaling for my build so if something needs adjusting I can consider it.

Despite my console being a smaller scale (my panels are 85 cm (33 1/2") wide along the base, 25cm (9 3/4") wide at the top and 60cm (23.5") long. Assembled they rise through 29cm which is near enough to your console panels which rise by about 11".  Guess I must be doing something right... ;)

The hexagon calculator is great especially as the controls on the panels themselves are sited in hexagon shapes... will insert a pdf of the layouts shortly.

Thanks for any continued advice and assistance

Steve

vortexvp

Aug 15, 2007, 07:34 pm #6 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 06:08 pm by Scarfwearer
hi
Managed to create an image of the two panel styles I am using for my main "new" console. the panel layouts are repeated on alternative panles, though with only a couple of exceptions the controls located within each of the hexagon shapes will each be of an original design.

The largest hexagon on the lower panel drawing is the tardis computer which in a 5Drs console -esque way is repeated.

Stevepanels.jpg

I do intend to have some sort of logic to the contol layouts in that the door control has exterior atmospheric readouts, above the door control panel you have Dematerialisation controls (ideal for quick getaways)  The panel next to demat controls is the guidance system etc.  will post a sample design once I've worked out how to pdf it.

Scarfwearer

Aug 15, 2007, 10:50 pm #7 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 06:04 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: vortexvp board=console thread=1185490192 post=1187200328Hi Crispin
had another look through your plans and can't see a figure raised column height...  Have worked out a lower position height from your plans... can you point me in the right direction when you have a mo?

The column height measurement on all of them is 17.5-29" - I'm referring to the range of motion there: 17.5" lowest to 29" highest. I'm not sure which screen caps I estimated this from, but that was my estimate. As I mention on the web-page, these numbers are just estimates - with some study you may well come up with better numbers.

I actually thought 31" was a little high compared with the screen caps, though standing in front of it, it seems quite comfortable (I'm 6'0" tall). I seem to recall Purple measuring the 5 doctors prop and confirming that number though.
Quote from: vortexvp board=console thread=1185490192 post=1187200328Despite my console being a smaller scale (my panels are 85 cm (33 1/2") wide along the base, 25cm (9 3/4") wide at the top and 60cm (23.5") long. Assembled they rise through 29cm which is near enough to your console panels which rise by about 11".  Guess I must be doing something right... ;)

This should give you a more manageable-sized console - the 8 foot beastie is really huge...

Crispin

vortexvp

Aug 16, 2007, 08:08 pm #8 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 06:09 pm by Scarfwearer
Just thought I'd post an example of the actual control designs that will appear within the hexagon shapes indicated on panel layouts a few posts ago.

This is intended as the main Dematerialisation/ Rematerialisation controls. The design has been inspired by many things (dare I say including Classix and Next generation Star Trek).

DEMAT1.jpg

vortexvp

Aug 16, 2007, 09:19 pm #9 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 06:04 pm by scarfwearer
Just found a link to another console design by doctor 49152 in a thread called cg tardis console room... all I can say is I feel rather humbled as his design is similar in concept to mine but way superior... Guess I shall be rethinking my concept... ;) :)

DoctorWho8

Aug 16, 2007, 11:50 pm #10 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 06:05 pm by scarfwearer
Rob Smemnoff if the man you are talking about.  He is the current proprietor of Who3d.com.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

zebaroth

Aug 17, 2007, 06:01 am #11 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 06:05 pm by scarfwearer
Went to the sister hood of karn sight love the console it made me think of  the Master

handofomega

Aug 17, 2007, 07:13 pm #12 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 06:05 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: vortexvp board=console thread=1185490192 post=1187210600http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc41/vortexvp/Stevepanels.jpg

second attempt... hope it works this time

Quote from: vortexvp board=console thread=1185490192 post=1187294924Just thought I'd post an example of the actual control designs that will appear within the hexagon shapes indicated on panel layouts a few posts ago.

This is intended as the main Dematerialisation/ Rematerialisation controls. The design has been inspired by many things (dare I say including Classix and Next generation Star Trek).

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc41/vortexvp/DEMAT1.jpg

Not sure exactly what you are going for but I was looking at the panal layout that you posted and the Demat/Remat controls you posted and it got me thinking.   On the panals outside of the hexagon control areas you have quite a bit of unused space.   If you wanted to you could add contols to that space sitting on top of the areas where the hexagons weren't.   You could have a nice juxtaposition of sleek contols within the Hex areas and clunky/chunky bits around them.

::)  just an idea...

vortexvp

Aug 17, 2007, 09:00 pm #13 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 06:05 pm by scarfwearer
The general concept is for a hi-tec console. It is a more modern, new Tardis not an old Type 40 (much as I love the old girl). Possibly just anoter Timelords vessle or the Master's, but just intended to be Hi-tec.

I'd always felt the on screen Tardis consoles have always had something lacking, they have never really (for me) represented the contols to what is after all once of the most advanced ships ever...

I am intending that the panels and central column innards are interchangeable so as to create and recreate various original and reproductions of original props...

The current plans are for an ultra advanced Tardis, the latest model, the Lotus of Time ships, as opposed to the Doctors MG roadster  ;)

As the remaining panels from the previous prop are going to be reused and are 5mm thick glass mounting of switches, buttons and levers are not really practical on this re-build. The main plan being to create a structure on which can be mounted various panels and designs, and to update the existing glass panels which were originally hand painted and designed using coloured electrical tape, stickers and gummed paper. The new controls have been designed with my limited knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and some basic Microsoft Art packages.

Having found several other original console designs on this site (and other) sites I am inspired to create at least one more "original" set of console panels which probably encompass design elements of many of the images I've found and with buttons switches, levers as well as sleek glass (perspex) panels , monitors and other bits  n bobs.

A mate is currently working on how to build the mechanism to make the column move, once that is working the structure can be built and creation of control panels begins.

Rassilons Rod

Oct 07, 2007, 12:17 pm #14 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 06:05 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: doctorwho8 board=console thread=1185490192 post=1187308219Rob Smemnoff if the man you are talking about.  He is the current proprietor of Who3d.com.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Cliff kept Who3D.com... Rob and the rest of us are over at www.who3d.co.uk nowadays :)

Aren't we bill? ;)

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.