Apr 24, 2024, 02:30 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Console and Room Reference Images

Started by peted, Apr 02, 2010, 02:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

May 16, 2011, 07:49 pm #15 Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:49 pm by galacticprobe
Thanks for those links (Coke and Zim) ;D. This really makes me wish we could get the 'Confidentials' in the US (or that BBC America would air them at least once in a while >:().

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

davidnagel

Is this useful to anyone?

1012.jpg
Regards
David

Rassilons Rod

Great pic! :D

It seems strange to go to all the trouble to have a metal sub-structure, cover it in wood and THEN paint the wood to look like metal...
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

the doctor who2

Aug 18, 2011, 06:59 pm #18 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2011, 07:00 pm by the doctor who2
Brilliant image, where did you dig it from?

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Aug 18, 2011, 04:50 pm
It seems strange to go to all the trouble to have a metal sub-structure, cover it in wood and THEN paint the wood to look like metal...

I suppose it must have been the cheapest option open to them, it would cost them a lot less to cover wood over a simple frame and paint it, then it would be to actually make the whole thing from metal.
Didn't even realise it was covered in wood and painted, thought it was made of metal :)
"There's no point being GROWN UP if you can't be CHILDISH sometimes!"

The Fourth Doctor - Robot, S12 E01

exleo

Also metal would be very noisy and difficult for the sound peeps to work with when anybody walked on it, where as covering it in wood will deaden the sound to almost nothing ;D

davidnagel

I found the image while searching out a travelling replica of the Eccleston/Tennant console. This image is pulled from the Cardiff Theatrical Services website - unfortunately there is no other Who images on there :(
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Aug 19, 2011, 05:38 am #21 Last Edit: Aug 19, 2011, 05:39 am by galacticprobe
Taking a close look at that photo it appears that the open roundels - not the flower pot roundels - have edges made from clear (translucent) wiring loom covers (if I'm using the correct terminology) rather than yellowish/orange-ish ones. Perhaps the yellowish color comes from some of the backlighting, or the color painted behind those roundel panels and the lighting reflecting off of the color makes the roundels look yellow/orange?

The ones with brighter lighting behind them do look more yellow than those with lighting that isn't as bright, even though the light itself looks white when it reflects off the chrome domes in some of those roundels. So maybe it is the color painted on the walls behind them that makes them look yellowish?

They're certainly clear translucent in this photo, and at least to me, it would seem like an awful lot of extra work for them to use clear looms for the edging and then go back over them with transparent-ish paint when they would have used yellow/orange looms to begin with since both colors are easily obtainable at just about any automotive/electrical supply store.

Thoughts?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

davidnagel

Dino, with the walls, they've probably used the same process as done with the Eccleston/Tennant console room pillars, the sheets are probably stretched plastic (there are various bulges in places) onto which they've sprayed texture spray on it, creating the coral effect that you can see on the wall?  Unless of course I'm completely blind in which case I apologise :P
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Aug 19, 2011, 05:31 pm #23 Last Edit: Aug 19, 2011, 05:43 pm by galacticprobe
No need to apologize. I wasn't referring to the walls, though. I knew they probably used the same "coralizing" process as with the previous set's coral pillars. I was referring to the rims on the open roundels. It looks like they used clear (un-colored) translucent wire sheathing/looming rather than yellow/orange looming. (See lightened pic of powerless TARDIS below:)
ConsoleRoomOpenRoundelDetail01(dark).JPG

You can see "some" yellowing on the looming, but most of it is clear. And when you look at the "under construction" photo above you can see the open roundel edging is already in place, and is clear. So I was speculating that the yellow/orange color of the roundel edging as seen on screen, might come from the backlighting and the color that's painted on the walls in the spaces behind the coral walls, rather than from the looming used to create the roundels' edging. (Am I making sense?)

Dino.

davidnagel

Ohhhhhh! I see what you mean now - sorry! I'm not the hugest fan of this interior so I was going on my own track there, haha.

Perfect sense Dino :)
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Aug 21, 2011, 06:56 am #25 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2011, 06:57 am by galacticprobe
Me, making perfect sense? (There are those who would argue that this would be a first for me. ;)) I wasn't a great fan of this interior either, but certain aspects are growing on me, like the roundels. Being technical minded I like to figure out how things are put together and made to work, and when I saw that construction photo I wondered about those open roundels since it brought to mind a previous discussion on those particular roundels (found here a little way down the page: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2290.0).

Dino.

jammiedodger

I found this clip on youtube. It is another montage style clip and I thought it may be of use. Lots of close-ups of the controls.

galacticprobe

Aug 21, 2011, 07:42 am #27 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2011, 07:42 am by galacticprobe
Did anyone else notice that at about the 0:43 mark when the Doctor throws the red-tipped levers downward, their entire grey box moves (like it had been joggled loose)? Even the little black-tipped levers that are part of that control assembly moved when it happens. (Maybe bits of new console are not so sturdy after all?)

Dino.

whovian-almighty

Quote from: invadrzim on May 16, 2011, 04:24 pm
Those are from the confidential for The Doctor's Wife. The first set are from a really nice montage about the tardis set to the music of You Sexy thing by Hot Chocolate.

EDIT: got that wrong a bit. some of them look like they're from that montage but theres another point in the confidential where itgoes through projecting different doctors talking about the tardis on the walls

The second set are from the same confidential in a segment where Neil Gaiman talks about the tardis

Oh! right before i posted this i found the montage:
http://youtu.be/Hc5mf6srrU4

Great video!!! every man usually becomes in love with a car and say things such as "look at this beauty" I'm a guy who love's a TARDIS console and that music goes perfect with it!!!  ;D I especially love the first 9 seconds how the camera pases with close ups of the console ;D love it!
So, all of time and space, everything that ever happened or ever will, where do you want to start?

Kingpin

Quote from: galacticprobe on Aug 21, 2011, 07:42 am
Did anyone else notice that at about the 0:43 mark when the Doctor throws the red-tipped levers downward, their entire grey box moves (like it had been joggled loose)? Even the little black-tipped levers that are part of that control assembly moved when it happens. (Maybe bits of new console are not so sturdy after all?)

Given how roughly Matt is "activating" those controls, it's not surprising me that some are starting to come loose.  Bet he's even more popular with the props department, first the sonics, now the TARDIS console.  :)