Apr 20, 2024, 10:51 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Update of my 2002 TARDIS

Started by rob49152, Aug 26, 2010, 06:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rob49152

I don't know. What I do know is that there is currently a happening in the Star Wars Fan CG world that an official book has many images taken from a fans website. People are up in arms over this incident.

I also know that my website has the Creative Commons License on almost every image I own. The others 2|Entertain own and have allowed me to post them. My site is kind of a mess right now. I need to get off my butt and fix it up!

tony farrell

Mar 15, 2019, 02:53 am #526 Last Edit: Mar 15, 2019, 04:20 am by Tony Farrell
Oh to have an acknowledgement - a rare courtesy indeed! Surely, that is nothing more than good manners? (And when it does happen, as here on TB, it is much appreciated.  :))

However, when it comes to the 'Interweb' in general, the genie is very definitely out of the bottle:

I can think of numerous occasions where many of the discussions and discoveries here on TB have been presented on Twitter (admittedly, often in a very impressively summarised form and sometimes with far better photos than we have here) by an individual as being their own work. It's disingenuous, to say the least, not to acknowledge your source material.

(I have left Twitter because of twits like him. Though, it must be said, I don't miss it :))

In general - with notable exceptions such as here on TB - there doesn't seem to be much room for a genuinely academic debate anymore; by which I mean that it seems that you can't disagree with someone without being made to feel that you are somehow falling out with that person. That's sad.....

So, for example, yes, if you're going to use someone's version of the "Blake's Seven" Logo (or barely 'disguised' adaptation of it), give him a quick thank you. If you're going to use someone else's research - even if you disagree with it - say thank you.

"Manners maketh man"!  :)

T

Volpone

This place is, indeed, rare.  I'm building an A-Team van right now and, while a lot of people have done this, there's just no information out there.  And what information there is...you know how, in olden dayes, when a mapmaker would make a city map, they'd throw in a fake street or two to catch plagiarists?  I suspect people that build A-Team vans deliberately put bad info in their Websites to throw people off.  That's such a far cry from this place, where we'll gladly share each and every tip, trick, and obsessive observation to help other people try to build an even nicer TARDIS than we have.  And we're happy when they succeed. 

PS:  The red stripe on the A-Team van is almost certainly NOT "Inferno Red."  The best I can guess is that it is "Cardinal Red", possibly "Victory Red". ;) 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Cardinal Hordriss

Mar 15, 2019, 10:36 am #528 Last Edit: Mar 15, 2019, 11:19 am by Cardinal Hordriss
Did someone say Cardinal?

I've even had people profiting from my comparatively shoddy work. What annoys me most is not being asked in advance. The makers of a Doctor Who phone game clearly used my work because they replicated the unique inaccuracies with precision but they deny everything. Another person is selling stickers of my Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy prop and even the Radio Times used a photo from my Deviant Art page.

It's just so rude it infuriates me.

Having said that... If my console came up in this fashion I would feel a twinge of pride also lol.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Vale

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Mar 15, 2019, 02:53 am
I can think of numerous occasions where many of the discussions and discoveries here on TB have been presented on Twitter (admittedly, often in a very impressively summarised form and sometimes with far better photos than we have here) by an individual as being their own work. It's disingenuous, to say the least, not to acknowledge your source material.

Only one individual? I can think of at least two :(

rob49152

I am back!!! After 4 years away I finally felt the urge to update my TARDIS interior. I was never happy with the 'under the console room' area as all I had done is just flip the 9th/10th Doctor walls upside down. I also constantly wondered how anyone would get into that area?? I saw some images and had that A-HA moment! (not the band! the epiphany moment!). There are a total of 3 doors spaced out at 120 degrees. In the fault locator room area there is a ladder leading down if you remove the central floor plate. Turn around and there's a door way and a pathway around the base of the central platform. There are hand rungs on the iron pillars that one can hold on too to climb up and onto the platform.

While creating the model and image I can picture in my mind a scene where it opens up with the camera pointing directly at one of the doors. It swooshes open and it's the Doctor. He's followed by his companion who's pestering him about something. Quickly asking questions the Doctor clearly doesn't want to answer. He hurriedly walks along the outer black pathway all while the camera backs up trying to stay in front of him. It's clear he's trying to run away from the topic of conversation. The companion tries to keep up to his hectic pace. He keeps looking up toward the central area looking for something important all while pretty much ignoring whatever the companion is saying. He gets to a pillar and climbs it and jumps onto the central platform. He grabs a hanging hose and is thinking about attaching it to another hose close by all while flapping his arms while trying to answer the companions questions... while not actually answering them at all. He connects the two hoses and there's sparks. Then something unexpected happens and panic ensues.

Vale

Quote from: rob49152 on Jul 02, 2023, 08:33 amI am back!!! After 4 years away I finally felt the urge to update my TARDIS interior. I was never happy with the 'under the console room' area as all I had done is just flip the 9th/10th Doctor walls upside down. I also constantly wondered how anyone would get into that area?? I saw some images and had that A-HA moment! (not the band! the epiphany moment!). There are a total of 3 doors spaced out at 120 degrees. In the fault locator room area there is a ladder leading down if you remove the central floor plate. Turn around and there's a door way and a pathway around the base of the central platform. There are hand rungs on the iron pillars that one can hold on too to climb up and onto the platform.

While creating the model and image I can picture in my mind a scene where it opens up with the camera pointing directly at one of the doors. It swooshes open and it's the Doctor. He's followed by his companion who's pestering him about something. Quickly asking questions the Doctor clearly doesn't want to answer. He hurriedly walks along the outer black pathway all while the camera backs up trying to stay in front of him. It's clear he's trying to run away from the topic of conversation. The companion tries to keep up to his hectic pace. He keeps looking up toward the central area looking for something important all while pretty much ignoring whatever the companion is saying. He gets to a pillar and climbs it and jumps onto the central platform. He grabs a hanging hose and is thinking about attaching it to another hose close by all while flapping his arms while trying to answer the companions questions... while not actually answering them at all. He connects the two hoses and there's sparks. Then something unexpected happens and panic ensues.

Welcome back! 😁

rob49152

I've upgraded to the full version of the octane render engine and I have 2 RTX3090 video cards now. So scenes render super fast now. This new image took 3 minutes, and there are 0 lights in the scene!

Anyways about the image :) I've been going around and tweaking things that have really bugged me (for example the top of the roundles never matched the top of the above doorway alcoves). I'm going to adding in more junk around the side rooms. The jukebox model was without a doubt one of the worst models I have ever found. I rebuilt and retextured it so the only original bit is the red light at the very top. Still not sure it works in the room though?? Maybe it helps balance out the 12th Doctors electric guitar on the other side of the room? new_consoleroom-2023-07-30-final.jpg

expect more updates soon.

Now to finish off the science lab and library!

Beee

Just blimey! Packing some serious computing heat with those double RTX cards, but absolutely just looking amazing mate! I have no clue how each time I see any photos of your interior, it just majorly improves so much each and every time!

And I am absolutely in love with the more vibrant warm look of the roundle walls! Especially how much more they contrast the rest of the pretty sterile and industrial look of the rest of the room. Just a wonder of what insanely powerful computing and improvements in 3D rendering can do to make an already amazing model look even better!

Smashing work, genuinely!
"Two wrongs don't make a left turn" - Seventh Doctor

rob49152

Jul 31, 2023, 06:38 am #534 Last Edit: Jul 31, 2023, 07:19 am by rob49152
Here's what I did tonight. I saw a medical device that made me think 'oh.. that would make a good modern update to the original food dispenser' from 1963. So here it is!! I kept the interface as same as I could, but with the Timeord aesthetic. On the top interface screen you'll see the two giant dials on the left and right. You just slide your finger around or just point at the codes. The top-center icon (which looks like the death star from a distance... hmm) is the 'dispense chosen item' button. Under that you'll see the water and milk buttons. I used the Gallifreyan translator at https://adrian17.github.io/Gallifreyan/ so it actually does say water and milk :)

The top left corner has a flashing indicator if there's an error with the machine.

The main difference is that it's a Timelords version of a replicator. I figured if Cpt. Jacks stolen space ship in 'The Doctor Dances'  series 01 episode can create a martini just like a replicator the Timelords would have something more impressive than what looks like a stick of butter in paper wrapping that taste's like what you wanted.
food_machine_image.jpg

Rassilons Rod

What a great design!
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Vale

I love everything about this design and can't wait to see more!

rob49152

I did some long over-do work on the lab. I never really had anything to the immediate right when you enter from the console room. I always wanted a small infirmary type area. So after finding some references I mocked up a hospital gurney with some over head operating lights. There's also a large display screen on the wall with a semi-circular bio-bed scanning device... and privacy curtains! Need those for sure. Then some more storage to the right of the bed including some boxes from the year 5 billions hospital in new new new new new blah blah blah... york. Sure the cats nuns won't miss them :)
lab-2023-08-02Final_1.jpg
I've also finally added some more props to the far doors in the lab area. 12th Doctor included for scale :)
lab-2023-08-03-final.jpg

rob49152

Another render of the Lab, this time looking to the left as you enter from the console room. I 'think' I am pretty much done with this room. Part of me wants to put some extra storage higher up on the walls. In the areas above things like the astro-navigator and tool storage feel the need to put something there. Like cupboards or book shelves.. I am not sure. It might be too much, but on the other hand it would explain the step ladder. lab-2023-08-04-FINAL.jpg now, on to update the library!

Lantern of Gallifrey

You do magnificent work.  My absolute favorite version of the Tardis