Mar 29, 2024, 05:55 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Update of my 2002 TARDIS

Started by rob49152, Aug 26, 2010, 06:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

Rob, what are the proportions of your console? I often wonder about that when I see it from a far, the top looks smaller than a classic console and it looks like the base is quite tall.

However in this closer view (nice Hartnell update to the time column btw :)) it seems to be closer to the classic size/shape...

Can you tell us a bit more about it?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

maverickjsmith

Wow, I found your website back in 2002 and later that year you put up your 2002 console and I was amazed then. I have about every screencap of the thing off the website somewhere, and that render of the console's column going up and down (and spinning, nice touch :))

Now, on to the topic at hand. (wait for it...)

:o
Maverick

type 83

Aug 29, 2010, 09:44 am #47 Last Edit: Aug 29, 2010, 09:49 am by type 83
*Close up of the console*

Cue Smith's "Oh you sexy thing!"

(Please update your console's site with all the new added and shiny bits! I am really excited to see all the new stuff and *ahem* borrow some concepts. Imitation is the highest form of flattery ^-^)

handofomega

Aug 29, 2010, 04:14 pm #48 Last Edit: Aug 29, 2010, 04:16 pm by handofomega
Quote from: rob49152 on Aug 29, 2010, 08:20 am

I won't be doing a 'To the ceiling' column because simply I don't like them. They have been too boring on the inside to spark my imagination. The only one that I liked was the McGann one. I prefer the classic style that you can get general info about the flight by looking at it like the Hartnell style.

I just did a redesign for the 'To the ceiling' column because I too have felt that they were too boring.  I took elements from the center of the Hartnell column, the part that rotated and doubled/flipped it.  Then around the outside of that I added the bits from the McGann one.   The result is a 'To the ceiling' column that still gives you that  "get general info about the flight by looking at it" feeling.  Here is a shot from the latest console room I was working on to give you an idea:

2newconcept.jpg

This is one of the only ways I have found to make a 'To the ceiling' column not so boring... ;D

maverickjsmith

Oh very interesting Omega ;D

I don't like "to the ceiling" columns that much either. I only liked the McGann console that did it. It just seems...odd. It doesn't have that same feel that the original one's did. It's the same thing other people have mentioned, "I can tell what's going on by looking at the column."

Also, like rob said, the "to the ceiling" columns have been very boring. They're just tubes and discs and do nothing but move. They don't look like instrumentation that gives you important feedback. They just look plain and well stupid.
Maverick

mordrogyn

I quite liked the tennant rotor, and the mcgann rotor.
Though I never said "recreate that" Omega's there is very cool, plenty to look at inside it.

For the record I have seen turds more interesting that Smith's rotor
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

handofomega

Quote from: maverickjsmith on Aug 30, 2010, 01:18 am
Oh very interesting Omega ;D

I don't like that much either. I only liked the McGann console that did it. It just seems...odd. It doesn't have that same feel that the original one's did. It's the same thing other people have mentioned, "I can tell what's going on by looking at the column."

Also, like rob said, the "to the ceiling" columns have been very boring. They're just tubes and discs and do nothing but move. They don't look like instrumentation that gives you important feedback. They just look plain and well stupid.

Agreed, which is one of the reasons I redesigned the central column.  This way it can be a "to the ceiling" column AND be full of instrumentation that gives important feedback.   The reason I like a "to the ceiling" column is that it seems like a pillar of said instrumentation and the exterior glass of the column is stationary while it is the insides that move both up and down and spin.   It just sort of makes sense to me that it should be that way.   With the whole central column (glass case and all) moving up and down the operator of the machine might miss something if he look away for an instant and the column sank into the console.  With a "to the ceiling" column that is not an issue.   The whole thing is there all the time and one just has to look at it to get travel feedback.

rob49152

Some one asked about the scanner screen? Here is what I am thinking... round like the Smith monitor, dropping from the ceiling in front of the fault locator room like the Hartnel, and taking a bit (not much) from the Time-Space Visualizer from The Chase/Space Museum.

Lets see if I can post this...

scanner0000.gif

DoctorWho8

Oh yeah, that's hot.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

rob49152

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Aug 30, 2010, 05:14 am
Oh yeah, that's hot.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out more to the monitor. The TSV was really cheesy what with its Venus, Saturn, Jupiter and Earth dials. It should be the 'Time and Only One Solar System Visualizer'. Who really wants to see what happened on Venus 400 years ago. I bet it was hot, windy and rained sulphuric acid.

any ideas?

type 83

Just use it like they did in the classic series. For viewing.

Rassilons Rod

It has a nice screensaver on it, reminds me of the titles for the AARU movies :D
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

handofomega

That ROCKS!!!   I like what you have come up with here.  Awesome work!!!

I like the concept of the TSV from the show but not being limited to one solar system.  Seems like the TARDIS should have something like that in it's controls anyway.  If it can travel anywhere and anywhen they it should be able to bring images to the pilot of what is going on on any particular planet at any particular time.  Of course it would sort of take the fun out of travelling through time and space...

peterdalek

I think all this is totally awesome, I will repeat what others have said, 'This is exactly what the new console room should look like'.

I'm gobsmacked, really awesome. Well Done

:o
  :)

PD

exleo

It was me who was being cheeky and asking about the scanner...and what do you go and do? You not only provide one, but provide the perfect one!! The only thing I have really liked about the Smith console room is the use of levels and the big round scanner screen, and you have used both those ideas in a far better way. I always thought the Hartnell time space visualiser was a great design piece too, so to incorporate some of it is the icing on the cake for me!
I agree with you about the Rotor also, again it is time for a change, and I remember the first time I found your console animation online and thought it was a brilliant idea the way it sinks entirely to a closed position, a whole new idea, so I am with you on that!

Brilliant work, Please keep at it, and hopefully show us more hybrid rooms within this ultimate Tardis design :)