Early 80's Interior Door Handle

Started by timerotor, Mar 27, 2008, 04:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

timerotor

Mar 27, 2008, 04:14 pm Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:06 pm by scarfwearer
Oh no I couldn't make that...

Tardisdoor-1-1.jpg

Its the real thing.
JNT had quite a few in a box at his house.

I don't have very many old set or action props, but the door handle is most treasured.
- and my auction was greatly appreciated, the guy who bought it was thrilled as he was bidding against me for it 12 years ago. all good things come to those who wait!
cheers!
Time Rotor  ;)
living, learning, loving, refurbing, & preserving!

purpleblancmange

Mar 27, 2008, 04:24 pm #1 Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:06 pm by scarfwearer
Thanks for the picture, looks very swish.  If you ever feel the need to wave a measuring stick across the handle - widths, depths, heights etc (as much as you can really), I'd certainly appreciate it.  Always fancied making one up, you see.

meantimebob

Mar 27, 2008, 06:40 pm #2 Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:07 pm by scarfwearer
Darn, if I'd known about that auction I'd have bid on it. I've always liked those handles.

timerotor

Mar 27, 2008, 09:22 pm #3 Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010, 10:56 am by Scarfwearer
oh no, its not the handle I auctioned it was a roundel...

Mr Purple, the dimensions are: its in cm's & mm's
the base is 15 x 15cm by 3 mm, the handle is set 0.5cm into the base, the handle width is 2.5, the length of handle is 13.8, the inner 'L' inside edge is 11.5 and the hight (distance away from the base) is - 3.8 the handle thickness is 0.5 cm

Tardisiteriordoorhandle1-1-1.jpg

hope this helps! ;D

profiledoorhandle2-1.jpg

I hope you don't mind if I don't reveal the contents of my collection. Im not on Ricahrd Who... and like Mr Purple, I think some people take the 'screen seen' thing way too far and I don't want to get into that sort of thing  :-/
- but I will always try to help others with what I got when I can.... Time Rotor

meantimebob

Mar 27, 2008, 11:04 pm #4 Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:07 pm by scarfwearer
Ah I see, sorry I must've got my wires crossed.

That handle is fascinating, it looks like its from the same "family" as the K9 handles, if you know what I mean. I wonder where they were originally sold?

timerotor

Mar 28, 2008, 01:20 am #5 Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:08 pm by scarfwearer
I've no idea.
Its funny to think that at one time had we known we could've just bought them...
well I hope those dims helps anyone who wants to make one.
I should think MDF and silver paint with a varnish could pass for the real thing, there's really not a lot to them. :)

purpleblancmange

Mar 28, 2008, 07:30 am #6 Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:08 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: timerotor board=discussion thread=1118043098 post=1206652929...hope this helps! ;D

...I hope you don't mind if I don't reveal the contents of my collection. Im not on Ricahrd Who... and like Mr Purple, I think some people take the 'screen seen' thing way too far and I don't want to get into that sort of thing  :-/
- but I will always try to help others with what I got when I can.... Time Rotor

Well thank you very much for taking the time to tap out the dims - very kind of you in deed and I really appreciate that.  I did work out some dims from a picture before, but obviously the problem with that is that there was always room for error as I could never see it side on.

Regarding not revealing what you own, sometimes I think that's a wise move.  One of my biggest ever regrets was revealing two things that I have - it just generated interest from a couple of people who just wouldn't leave me alone - luckily though, those people have all but disappeared.  I WONT reveal WHO it WAS but some of YOU can GUESS! ;)

EDIT:  And to add. You could buy these handles from Radio Spares (just like K9's handles) and the place that I saw them was in a London auction house when I went to authenticate a WHO prop.  The lady I was with gave me an odd look when I did a double take on these door handles, back tracked and stooped for a closer inspection.

madgaz

Sep 26, 2011, 08:54 am #7 Last Edit: Sep 26, 2011, 09:17 am by rassilonsrod
Hi All,

There really is no escape from the good Doctor is there?
Imagine my surprise a few weeks ago when my partner and I went to the Rover Club in Oxford for a  night of dancing.
Just after I had paid my entry I turned around to the doors through which we had just entered and what should I see, but these beauties:

IMG00046-20110910-0036.jpg

I have to admit to being rather excited by this and insisted that we take a photograph!
One of them was in a little state of disrepair, but to be honest I think it's something that a screwdriver could fix.

Part of me still wants to contact the owners of the club and see if I can buy them  ;) (I know they're not the ones used on TV, but still - what a find and if ever I was to build a console room it'd be great to have the same type of handle they used! And there's two of them!

Gaz  :)

timerotor

Sep 26, 2011, 10:46 am #8 Last Edit: Sep 27, 2011, 06:31 pm by timerotor
Wow Gaz!
For any 70s,80s Doctor Who Fan that IS exciting!!! VERY exciting.
these are ultra, ultra rare... I would encourage you to write that letter and see if they will sell them to you!
You could offer to replace them with some new, more fashionable ones...

I am lucky enough to have a pair, which I bought from John Nathan Turner, golly, maybe 14 years ago now...(Gosh Time Flies!!!!), mine cost me a BOMB - quite a price even for back then!

*just as a side note as someone who knew John very well; JNT NEVER just gave anything away, which is why I am always suspicious of anyone who spouts words to the effect of, "oh yeah, JNT very kindly gave this to me as a gift once" etc as he regarded all DR WHO related props, costumes or documents & photographs as his pension and was very protective and possessive about it, and if he were to part with these things, it was always about cash or some sort of exchange, to his benefit!)*

I treasure the ones I got from the show, and John knew that... and I'm sure you would too if you got these (you could potentially get these quite cheaply or for free if you replace them)
And the fact that they're not from the sets of the show isn't important, I feel there is far too much emphasis put on 'screen seen' (for my taste anyway) and I think that these 'Tardis' interior door handles would be equally as valuable as the ones I have in my little flat on my bathroom door (I have posted a few pictures to illustrate that any DR WHO stuff can be displayed subtly and with taste- and not make your spouse feel that they are living in a kids playroom or toy shop. ;)
-I'm still called a hoarder tho LOL ;D

P1050320-1.jpg

OH NO NOT THAT ONE!!!

P1050319.jpg
P1050317.jpg
there you go... ;D
I say GO FOR IT! good luck Gaz.
All the best,
MBH ;)

domvar

Just about every NCP Carpark built between 1970 & 1985 them on every floor.

I bet they have to replace them regularly as well so maybe they have a stock pile.

timerotor

;) screw drivers at the ready! domvar! :D

domvar

galacticprobe

Sep 28, 2011, 06:37 am #12 Last Edit: Sep 28, 2011, 06:38 am by galacticprobe
Disguise! Pertwee's Doctor used disguises often enough. Wear a disguise and be quick. Even if the cameras get you they'll never find you once you're clear and the disguise is off.

(Note: I'm not actually condoning such thievery, just responding to the loophole in Domvar's post. ;D ;D ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

domvar

27 pairs in the Sheffield ncp under the crucibal

warped in storage

Quote from: timerotor on Sep 26, 2011, 10:46 am

mine cost me a BOMB - quite a price even for back then!

Is it just a British manner of speech, or did you really trade a Explosive for a door handle?  ;D
I'm called Stormaggeddon, Dark Lord of all... Or you can call me Warped in Storage.